LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 255 users in the forums

Culliver to Safety?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by HearstFan:
I typically hate these CB to Safety threads. Most people don't realize how different these positions really are - the skills are VERY different. CBs are usually playing a match-up game -- reading one player or a small zone on the field. A safety is typically trying to read multiple receivers (the field) to see what is developing and then play their assignment accordingly.

BUT, Cully is a rare player that actually stared at Safety in college. So just maybe that is a more natural position for him. I personally think he has the skills to be a really good corner with a little more experience. But hey, the coaches will do the right thing (at least this staff you can trust!)

Didn't Ronnie Lott go from college safety, to CB, back to safety??

The Hitman went from CB, to SS, to FS, and made the pro bowl at all three positions.
Culliver only starts at safety if we have a ridiculous rash of injuries at safety. And even then, I'd probably still rather have him at corner. He's our insurance if we do release Rogers after 2013.
  • cools
  • Veteran
I read reports before his draft that Culliver should be a FS, His playing style seems well suited for it, could happen
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by GNielsen:
I'm not sure what game you were watching. Culliver had a horrible game. That Jones brainfart was all on Culliver. The play called for Whitner to break on Boldin and if you watch the play, you can see that this is exactly what Whitner does. Culliver's job was to make sure Jones didn't get behind him and he screwed up. He had a horrible game - his worst of the year at the worst possible time.

Now, by the way, I agree that Culliver was good most of the year. Again, my only problem with Culliver's game, when it's on, is that he seems to have trouble finding the ball in the air, especially on long passes and then going up to contend for them. I assume they'll be working on that part of his game this off season so I'd rather they keep him developing at corner because other than the Super Bowl, he was usually right there with the receiver last season.

All the media attention he received for being homophobic no doubt contributed to his lack of focus, but he is a very good young CB. And it is frustrating to watch him stay step for step with a receiver only to have the ball nearly hit him in the helmet as it reaches the WR for a catch. Just a bit of awareness, a turn back at the right time, and he would have knocked down so many more balls.

He made a huge mistake by opening his mouth and showing everyone that he was immature and ignorant and then had the chance to let his play speak for him and he sucked. I am not buying the future star talk at this point.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
He made a huge mistake by opening his mouth and showing everyone that he was immature and ignorant and then had the chance to let his play speak for him and he sucked. I am not buying the future star talk at this point.

Future star is the same as saying potential...doesn't mean much. What I've said is that he stays with receivers better than most CBs in the league, but isn't able to recognize when the ball is in the air. As for his homophobic tendency--that isn't immaturity it's bigotry. If he lives and learns not to be bigoted...good for him. If you want everyone on the team to be culturally and morally awakened then you will have a very small team...in number not stature.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Future star is the same as saying potential...doesn't mean much. What I've said is that he stays with receivers better than most CBs in the league, but isn't able to recognize when the ball is in the air. As for his homophobic tendency--that isn't immaturity it's bigotry. If he lives and learns not to be bigoted...good for him. If you want everyone on the team to be culturally and morally awakened then you will have a very small team...in number not stature.
According to an article now linked on the Zone, he seems to be serious about becoming more enlightened. He has evidently stepped up and volunteered to help a group that works with suicide prevention among the LBGT community. As far as his play is concerned, I've said this before - he is real good in coverage. He just needs to get better at finding the ball in the air and contending for it. I expect them to be working on that this off season. He has serious speed and size so I know they're going to stick with him and work on his game whether he moves to free safety or stays at corner.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Naw keep Culliver at corner. He is going to be a star corner. I'm not saying that you're bashing him, but after the Superbowl quite a few people have been bashing Culliver and even going as far as saying he should be off of the team. Culliver got beat a couple of plays in the Superbowl ( i believe the deep td to jones was whitners fault), but he's been very solid the rest of the time. He's big, fast, and physical and is usually step for step with the guy he's guarding. If he learns how to play the ball better, he's going to be a stud. Resign Goldson and draft a strong safety to compete with Whitner. That should be the plan. And bring in another corner or two through free agency/draft.

Completely agree. It seems that a lot of the "talking heads" that don't watch us week after week, just take Culliver's abnormally below stellar performance and Roger's good performance in the Super Bowl and decide that Culliver is the weak link.
It could work if the niners brought in a proven CB.
My thought, we could easily use one of the two talented CBs in Rogers or Brown (who are under a blessed inexpensive contracts) to fill in the slot which leaves us to find a shut down corner. Adding in the draft is always great for the long run, but since the Niners don't have high told-em poll first round pick, its not likely and getting a CB now is a must need. Free agents like Sean Smith or Brent Grimes, would enhance our secondary, but anything less then that I dont see improvement unless we trade. Signing a proven starter now will also save us the risk of the learning curve mishaps of rookies... which is almost guaranteed.
But if I had it my way, Id sign Goldson (if he's reasonable), Trade for Revis or sign S. Smith, and move Rogers to number two.
1: Revis, Smith or maybe Grimes
2: Rogers
3: Culliver/ Brown (depending on situations)

I want the best Defense, and to have that you cant have any glaring holes in the front or secondary. And having depth in the secondary in this era of football is a must.

Red and Gold
Originally posted by Butter:
If Goldson walks, would the Niners slide Culliver over to FS? I know this years draft is loaded, but I think they need to dump Whitner, so they could still draft another safety.

The obvious problem with that is they'd be playing to young players who aren't used to leading the defense. I'm not on the anti-Culliver band wagon, and maybe its too soon to move him out of the CB slot but it'd save the Niners a LOT of $$$.

It could work if the niners brought in a proven CB. My thought, we could easily use one of the two talented CBs in Rogers or Brown (who are under a blessed inexpensive contracts) to fill in the slot which leaves us to find a shut down corner. Adding in the draft is always great for the long run, but since the Niners don't have high told-em poll first round pick, its not likely and getting a CB now is a must need. Free agents like Sean Smith or Brent Grimes, would enhance our secondary, but anything less then that I dont see improvement unless we trade. Signing a proven starter now will also save us the risk of the learning curve mishaps of rookies... which is almost guaranteed..

But if I had it my way, Id sign Goldson (if he's reasonable), Trade for Revis or sign S. Smith, and move Rogers to number two.
1: Revis, Smith or maybe Grimes
2: Rogers
3: Culliver/ Brown (depending on situations)

I want the best Defense, and to have that you cant have any glaring holes in the front or secondary. And having depth in the secondary in this era of football is a must. Red and Gold
Originally posted by GNielsen:
According to an article now linked on the Zone, he seems to be serious about becoming more enlightened. He has evidently stepped up and volunteered to help a group that works with suicide prevention among the LBGT community. As far as his play is concerned, I've said this before - he is real good in coverage. He just needs to get better at finding the ball in the air and contending for it. I expect them to be working on that this off season. He has serious speed and size so I know they're going to stick with him and work on his game whether he moves to free safety or stays at corner.

Good to see his attempt at modernizing his thought process. But he had one slip of the tongue that painted him in a terrible light, at the most over scrutinized sporting event in the world...not going to worry about it and hope the best for him and his career.

Originally posted by cools:
I read reports before his draft that Culliver should be a FS, His playing style seems well suited for it, could happen

Might happen if we trade for Revis
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Let's bring back Nate Clements and move him to safety.

Sign Ed Reed, move him to SS, and then back to FS........if he doesn't work out at corner.
Cully could make a good safety, he certainly has the tools...but I dont see the point. We need players all over the secondary, your just shifting the need from 2 corners and 2 safeties, to three corners and one safety. Rogers is gone after this year or next, Whitner gone after this year or next, Goldson likely gone already, Brown is not really the best to begin with...Cully is the only young talent we have back there right now, who's future looks brighter than his past. I wish we had the money to sign a free agent wideout, because I would draft 4 secondary players, two d-lineman, a backup qb, and OT and kicker this year if we could. But something on the D will have to wait because we dont really have the cash on hand to fix a position before the draft.
I thought Revis was a pipe dream but he seems to want to come here and the 9ers have the picks to trade, so...? He would raise the level of the secondary by becoming the #1 CB and allowing a fight for #2 between some pretty good talent. Then if Harbaugh thought Culliver could play safety? Fine.
I kinda like it, to be honest. Draft a good CB at # 34 or # 61 ( Banks--Poyer--Taylor--Alford--Slay) and move Culliver to S.

Or draft a top safety at # 34 or # 61 ( Swearinger--Reid--Thomas--Cyprien ) and keep Cully at CB.

I can dig either scenario..

( really still don't like Rogers playing NCB though )
Share 49ersWebzone