There are 189 users in the forums

Culliver to Safety?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Cully is fine, but he needs to turn around and track the ball every once in a while.
Originally posted by captain_planet:
Or if any offensive lineman has a down game - "Let's move Staley to right tackle and Davis to left! And then move Boone to right tackle and Staley to left guard and Iupati to right guard!" I hate to reveal a weakness but changing players' positions threads are probably my biggest pet peeve in the universe.

isnt toxic waste another weakness of yours? ive seen the episode
Originally posted by NinerFan408:
This is the Zone's go to topic any CB that has a down game or season someone comes up with a brand new idea.........................LETS MOVE THEM TO SAFETY!!!!

They used to say the same with Nate Clements.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
The only reservation I have with this idea is that Culliver's main problem seems to be finding the ball when it's in the air. Isn't that what a ball-hawking free safety has to do all the time? Maybe, if he's sitting back there at safety and not trying to keep his eyes on the receiver as a corner does, this isn't a problem for him.

This is my only reservation regarding Culliver. I can't remember when the niners had a corner who could stick with WRs as well as he does down the field. He needs to learn how to read receivers to know when to turn and look for the ball. This can be taught through film study if he watches upcoming receivers during the week prior to a game, and look for tells.

I'll be curious to see if they keep Cox or replace him with a draft pick/FA. Was his character OK?
Originally posted by mayo49:
Cully is fine, but he needs to turn around and track the ball every once in a while.

I agree he really needs to work on this in the off season and training camp. He has good speed and size. I like his long arms as well. He just has to work on technique.
Originally posted by jimrat:

hahaha....this is a great gif!

And I agree, not a good idea. He misses too often. Whitner gets burned occasionally, but is there really any DB who doesn't? That's football.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by GNielsen:
The only reservation I have with this idea is that Culliver's main problem seems to be finding the ball when it's in the air. Isn't that what a ball-hawking free safety has to do all the time? Maybe, if he's sitting back there at safety and not trying to keep his eyes on the receiver as a corner does, this isn't a problem for him.

This is my only reservation regarding Culliver. I can't remember when the niners had a corner who could stick with WRs as well as he does down the field. He needs to learn how to read receivers to know when to turn and look for the ball. This can be taught through film study if he watches upcoming receivers during the week prior to a game, and look for tells.

I'll be curious to see if they keep Cox or replace him with a draft pick/FA. Was his character OK?

Cox signed a two year deal. I like him as our nickel corner.
  • buck
  • Veteran
This is the Zone's go to topic any CB that has a down game or season someone comes up with a brand new idea.........................LETS MOVE THEM TO SAFETY!!!!

The odd thing is, if I remember correctly, Culliver played safety in college.

When we drafted him as a CB, many people thought he should stay at safety.

Ballke was nuts.
Baalke wanted a DE, Miller, to play fullback and a safety, Culliver, to play CB.
[ Edited by buck on Mar 3, 2013 at 10:05 AM ]
Originally posted by captain_planet:
Or if any offensive lineman has a down game - "Let's move Staley to right tackle and Davis to left! And then move Boone to right tackle and Staley to left guard and Iupati to right guard!" I hate to reveal a weakness but changing players' positions threads are probably my biggest pet peeve in the universe.

isnt toxic waste another weakness of yours? ive seen the episode

Shh.
Originally posted by Wrathman:
Cox signed a two year deal. I like him as our nickel corner.

True, but if Harbaugh sees him as more a distraction than helpful he could be gone, either by trade or released. I haven't heard any negatives so will assume he hasn't been a huge headache. But with all the picks they have this year spots may become difficult to hold onto for the marginal guys. If they can bring in a future starter they may let Cox and others go.l

Originally posted by buck:
The odd thing is, if I remember correctly, Culliver played safety in college.

When we drafted him as a CB, many people thought he should stay at safety.

Ballke was nuts.
Baalke wanted a DE, Miller, to play fullback and a safety, Culliver, to play CB.

If he continues to do these dumb things...Super Bowl winners!
Chris Culliver played 494 coverage snaps, mostly (exclusively?) as an outside corner in the nickel package. 494 is in line with starting corners.

Culliver ranked #1 in the NFL in lowest percentage of coverage snaps that go for a 1st down or touchdown, 3.45%. List here.

Culliver ranked #12 in the NFL in fewest yards allowed per coverage sack, 0.95. List here.

I don't know if it's the gay bashing or the Super Bowl lapses or what, but much of Niner Nation seems oblivious to the fact that we have one of the most effective and most physically talented CB in the NFL, and he's 24 years old. We're not moving him to safety.
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Chris Culliver played 494 coverage snaps, mostly (exclusively?) as an outside corner in the nickel package. 494 is in line with starting corners.

Culliver ranked #1 in the NFL in lowest percentage of coverage snaps that go for a 1st down or touchdown, 3.45%. List here.

Culliver ranked #12 in the NFL in fewest yards allowed per coverage sack, 0.95. List here.

I don't know if it's the gay bashing or the Super Bowl lapses or what, but much of Niner Nation seems oblivious to the fact that we have one of the most effective and most physically talented CB in the NFL, and he's 24 years old. We're not moving him to safety.

This. Cully will be fine. The superbowl is still on many peoples minds, and what he did over the course of his first two seasons has been forgotten. Lets be real, the defense did not play well as a whole, and the entire secondary was garbage. Cully will be fine.
The Cully bashing is this year K.Williams bashing?
Originally posted by Elrossoneri:
The Cully bashing is this year K.Williams bashing?

Its pretty sad. He asnt even the worst player in the secondary in the superbowl.

Whitner and Goldson had far worse games.
Share 49ersWebzone