There are 116 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Culliver to Safety?

I typically hate these CB to Safety threads. Most people don't realize how different these positions really are - the skills are VERY different. CBs are usually playing a match-up game -- reading one player or a small zone on the field. A safety is typically trying to read multiple receivers (the field) to see what is developing and then play their assignment accordingly.

BUT, Cully is a rare player that actually stared at Safety in college. So just maybe that is a more natural position for him. I personally think he has the skills to be a really good corner with a little more experience. But hey, the coaches will do the right thing (at least this staff you can trust!)

Didn't Ronnie Lott go from college safety, to CB, back to safety??
Originally posted by modninerfan:
... why should we just dump whitner? you got somebody better in mind?

How about because he gave up more touchdowns than any safety in the league? Draft someone, sign a FA, scrape something off the bottom of your shoe.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
This, he's a young player still developing. In terms of his play, PFF has him as one of the most efficient and effective cornerbacks in the NFL in several areas. The secondary didn't fall apart until Justin Smith got hurt and the pass rush basically became non-existent. Any CB can get lit up when their team has a s**t pass rush. Revis got lit up by Stevie Johnson, Sherman got lit up by Julio Jones. It happens. Some people just can't accept that and go full retard as a result.

Culliver and Brown is a solid starting combo of CB's. Throw in Rogers and add another draft pick this year and the CB's are set.

Agree 100%
He's easily has some of the best ball skills on the defense. He's right up their with Goldson.

If he has a solid offseason, he'll be pushing for a starting CB spot. Brown didn't improve on his 2011 season and Rogers can be a liability against speedy WRs. To Rogers' credit, he gets in great positions to make plays, but his hands are awful.
Originally posted by gunslinger8:
How about because he gave up more touchdowns than any safety in the league? Draft someone, sign a FA, scrape something off the bottom of your shoe.

"THATS THE ONLY ARGUMENT I NEED SHAWN"
I don't know about anyone else, but Culliver $#$%$# sucks $ss. I have never understood what people like about this guy.
Originally posted by Squidp:
Originally posted by gunslinger8:

"THATS THE ONLY ARGUMENT I NEED SHAWN"

How about because he is the only safety in the NFL that gives up a TD in the superbowl on a one person route and he can't even track the guy down....unfu(*&(*& believable.
I remember when Chris Ault wanted to make Kaepernick a safety.....I for one don't think its too late, we could have them play Ironman Football. Hell, come to think of it, Crabtree might make a pretty good defensive back as well. This is a great way to save on draft picks, who needs a FS when you have a QB/FS/TE/K/P all in one.

This is obviously why the 49ers should draft Leon Sandcastle.
This thread was based exclusively on the speculation that Goldson may not come back. It is NOT a "bash Culliver" thread. It is NOT a "it worked on Madden" thread. If Goldson leaves, that leaves a massive hole at FS.

Now, if the response is that Culliver is too valuable at CB to move to safety, than the answer to the original question is no, he should not be moved. Why would the coaches create two holes in the defense? CB that can really cover are hard to find. I for one still see Culliver as a viable option as a starter at CB. Regarding the SB, he was a young player on the biggest stage. Hopefully he works hard and gets better.
I want us to draft Tim McDonalds son.
  • Tman
  • Veteran
How about manny Lawson
Originally posted by bigwads:
I don't know about anyone else, but Culliver $#$%$# sucks $ss. I have never understood what people like about this guy.

You're crazy, he was arguably our best corner all season. He will be our best corner next year, book it
Rogers to FS, Goldson to SS, Brown and cully at CB's, and draft for depth and competition
  • GORO
  • Veteran
It looks like Goldson is going to leave via free agency, so I for one like Culliver at Corner. He along with Terrell Brown were solid during the regular season. Move Carlos Rodgers to saftey, he is good at covering TE and can come up and cover extra recievers. He is good at blitzing when given the call. And he is not as aggressive as Goldson or Whitner at playing the run, so he won't be as much a liability at saftey.

But there are good safties and corners in this year draft and with 15 picks the 49ers may find a saftey to plug in or start a rookie at corner and move Rodgers or Culliver to saftey. The Team the Team the Team!