LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 282 users in the forums

Culliver to Safety?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
If Goldson walks, would the Niners slide Culliver over to FS? I know this years draft is loaded, but I think they need to dump Whitner, so they could still draft another safety.

The obvious problem with that is they'd be playing to young players who aren't used to leading the defense. I'm not on the anti-Culliver band wagon, and maybe its too soon to move him out of the CB slot but it'd save the Niners a LOT of $$$.
The only reservation I have with this idea is that Culliver's main problem seems to be finding the ball when it's in the air. Isn't that what a ball-hawking free safety has to do all the time? Maybe, if he's sitting back there at safety and not trying to keep his eyes on the receiver as a corner does, this isn't a problem for him.
  • mod
  • Veteran
... why should we just dump whitner? you got somebody better in mind?
  • fip24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GNielsen:
The only reservation I have with this idea is that Culliver's main problem seems to be finding the ball when it's in the air. Isn't that what a ball-hawking free safety has to do all the time? Maybe, if he's sitting back there at safety and not trying to keep his eyes on the receiver as a corner does, this isn't a problem for him.

I 100% with everthing in the quote
Culliver almost never seems to gets beat or have a WR get great separation from him but he seems to not react to the ball.
Its kind of strange becauue he was a safety in college and he is one of our biggest CB's. You would think he would be able to win these jump ball situations more frequently
Originally posted by modninerfan:
... why should we just dump whitner? you got somebody better in mind?

Most of the safeties in the draft. Whitner's great in run defense, making big hits, and directing the defense, but he is a liability in pass defense.
Naw keep Culliver at corner. He is going to be a star corner. I'm not saying that you're bashing him, but after the Superbowl quite a few people have been bashing Culliver and even going as far as saying he should be off of the team. Culliver got beat a couple of plays in the Superbowl ( i believe the deep td to jones was whitners fault), but he's been very solid the rest of the time. He's big, fast, and physical and is usually step for step with the guy he's guarding. If he learns how to play the ball better, he's going to be a stud. Resign Goldson and draft a strong safety to compete with Whitner. That should be the plan. And bring in another corner or two through free agency/draft.
This is the Zone's go to topic any CB that has a down game or season someone comes up with a brand new idea.........................LETS MOVE THEM TO SAFETY!!!!

no
Let's bring back Nate Clements and move him to safety.
I read that as well on espn insider!

Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Let's bring back Nate Clements and move him to safety.

a perfect example, the zone wanted to move him to safety for 2+ seasons
http://www.bayareasportsguy.com/49ers-will-probably-have-at-least-one-new-starting-safety-in-2013/
Remember our 1st SB team?
All rookie DB's.
Culliver to safety, draft a stud to replace over priced and oft-burned Dashon.
Culliver had an outstanding year. He just had a bad game. He just picked the wrong game to have a bad game.

Cully will be a good to great starting CB for years to come. He's still young and learning.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GNielsen:

Culliver struggles with finding the ball when he is running with a receiver down the field. Corners have to read receivers and then track the ball which is entirely different than what a safety does. A safety is generally facing the quarterback and is responsible for breaking on the ball as it is thrown. As a safety he wouldn't be expected to run down the field with receivers nearly as often. With that said, Culliver is a good corner and would be more valuable to the team in that position.
Share 49ersWebzone