There are 78 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

How important is Delanie Walker to the 49ers?

Hopefully not that important bc he's gonna get a big contract somewhere else.
Is he a first round pick important, or can we replace hime with a second or a third round pick, I now this, he is VERY easily replaced, which round is my only question.
Very important. Seattle will probably sign him and make them a tough team to beat next year.
I want him back , AND Draft another TE ......this will allow us more flexibilty, and with more help at WR, our playbook will expand and our offense will be able to throw even MORE different looks at a defense , we will OPEN IT UP Next year
I like walker ....but maybe we are looking at possible addition by subtraction.

VD gives most of the same tools walker gives.

Neither is a bigbody security blanket. Or redzone threat.

Teams WILL zone defense CK to slow down the scramble threat....

maybe the 49ers want a bigbody zone busting TE to pair with VD
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Louisiana49er:
Very important. Seattle will probably sign him and make them a tough team to beat next year.

sorry but walker is not going to change the balence of power in the nfc west!!
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by suckafree17:
A high percentage of our O snaps were 2 TE sets and even at times 3. In my mock offseason I don't believe the 49ers will be able to retain Walker. Thus, we need to spend a draft pick on the TE position. Delanie has proven to be versital, but does that make him invaluable to us?

Get a guy who can catch consistently and we already upgraded over Walker. The dude drops too many passes and fumbles away some of the ones he actually hauls in. Delanie is a decent blocker, but I highly doubt another guy can't come in and do the same in this offensive scheme.

Basically, Walker is highly overrated and easily replaceable.

He's faster than u think...again that's one part of his game but concider the alternative: Drafting a young guy to come in, not knowing the system and having to learn it quickly in order to contribute. However, if we were to draft Zack Ertz with the 34 pick, he could come in and instantly find his way on the instantly. He's a better pass catcher and played uner Harbaugh for 2 years and Shaw for an addtional 2, which would make him well versed in our offense.
Originally posted by cciowa:

Id hate to see Whitner matched up on DWalk
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Squidp:
Originally posted by cciowa:

Id hate to see Whitner matched up on DWalk
i would not mind if both were on different teams next year.
Thoughts:

1. Get off the Eifort and Ertz bandwagons. They will be long gone before #31.
  2. We have a good TE to replace Walker with (if he leaves) in Celek. Knows the system, showed some good skills when he got the chance to play.
  3. See #1. If you think paying Delanie will be expensive, those 2 guys will be even more expensive long-term.

Just my humble opinion.
Originally posted by Beeker:
Thoughts:

2. We have a good TE to replace Walker with (if he leaves) in Celek. Knows the system, showed some good skills when he got the chance to play.
  3. See #1. If you think paying Delanie will be expensive, those 2 guys will be even more expensive long-term.
Just my humble opinion.

Not like they can't add another TE in the draft, there will be plenty available in Rounds 3,4 and beyond. Plus there are WR's who could eventually fill the Delanie role at h-back, such as Mark Harrison of Rutgers.
please don't resign him dude has feet for hands
Originally posted by Beeker:
Thoughts:

Just my humble opinion.
I personally think both are overrated. I think Celek would make a good complement to Vernon. I just wished we kept Reuland for 1 more year.
Originally posted by gold49digger:
I personally think both are overrated. I think Celek would make a good complement to Vernon. I just wished we kept Reuland for 1 more year.

There's some nice prospects in this draft that people seem to be underrating. I'd love to see Dion Sims drafted, as well as a guy like Chris Gragg.....etc
No way in hell we should let Walker go. We developed him to be our utility tool, and we need to keep him around. There's no way he's going to be expensive to keep; all the other teams can read about his drop rate just as easily as we can. He's not on anyone's "Top FAs available" list. Heck I saw a list of the top six TE and he wasn't mentioned.