There are 66 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

How important is Delanie Walker to the 49ers?

A high percentage of our O snaps were 2 TE sets and even at times 3. In my mock offseason I don't believe the 49ers will be able to retain Walker. Thus, we need to spend a draft pick on the TE position. Delanie has proven to be versital, but does that make him invaluable to us?
I am one of those fans who feels we should let him walk. It's not like someone else couldn't be taught to be as versatile as DW and maybe they will catch game winning TD's laid perfectly in their mitts.

Delanie is good. Good enough to get starter money, but I am done with his drive killing game losing mistakes from time to time. Just because he later makes a play he should have doesn't make up for the blunders. I'd like a behemoth TE next to VD. 6'6"+
Originally posted by WINiner:
I am one of those fans who feels we should let him walk. It's not like someone else couldn't be taught to be as versatile as DW and maybe they will catch game winning TD's laid perfectly in their mitts.

Delanie is good. Good enough to get starter money, but I am done with his drive killing game losing mistakes from time to time. Just because he later makes a play he should have doesn't make up for the blunders. I'd like a behemoth TE next to VD. 6'6"+

What about Zack Ertz with the 34th pick?
I'm conflicted on this. I'd like to see them use most of their picks to fix the defensive line depth and add safety and corner talent, but there are a couple of TE's there that they could get who would be tall guys with better hands than Walker. I'd just like Walker to catch the damn ball. I'm still bitter about that Rams game in St. Louis. Walker does everything real well except catching the ball consistently.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
I'm conflicted on this. I'd like to see them use most of their picks to fix the defensive line depth and add safety and corner talent, but there are a couple of TE's there that they could get who would be tall guys with better hands than Walker. I'd just like Walker to catch the damn ball. I'm still bitter about that Rams game in St. Louis. Walker does everything real well except catching the ball consistently.

And as a FA he may want/offered more than we want to pay.
Originally posted by suckafree17:
Originally posted by GNielsen:

And as a FA he may want/offered more than we want to pay.

Right. And there is not only Ertz at 6'6" and better hands, but there's this kid Tyler Eifert at the same size as Ertz out of Notre Dame who evidently ran a little faster 40 than Ertz. Eifert might still be there at the end of the second round after they take a couple of defensive players with those first two picks. I really would like to see one of these tall guys like Jimmy Grahm who are more natural pass catchers and can go up for a high throw and bring it down in traffic. That would be a very powerful compliment to Davis.
I want us to offer Delanie a deal in the 2-3 million a year range, however we still should draft a tight end that can be groomed as his successor. The goal would be for our #2 and #3 tight ends to be interchangeable. A rookie may be able to come in and contribute more in the passing game, but it may take a season or 2 to learn the other things that Delanie does effectively, and most importantly, do them well. If Walker's price does not exceed that amount, there really is no reason to let him walk.
I wouldn't mind seeing walker walk. Walking in we could have new young talent from the draft. He's not the best; i'm sure harbaalke could find better.
I think it's pretty clear the coaching staff values Walker a lot more than the fanbase does. The fan base sees him drop passes these last couple of years and just says he sucks. He's also a good blocker and an important "jack of all trades" player in Harbaugh's offense.

I also absolutely don't buy the hype that someone else would make him their starter. He's more valuable to the 9ers than anyone else.

My guess is they let him test FA, and then sign him for less than a lot of people were expecting.
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
I think it's pretty clear the coaching staff values Walker a lot more than the fanbase does. The fan base sees him drop passes these last couple of years and just says he sucks. He's also a good blocker and an important "jack of all trades" player in Harbaugh's offense.

I also absolutely don't buy the hype that someone else would make him their starter. He's more valuable to the 9ers than anyone else.

My guess is they let him test FA, and then sign him for less than a lot of people were expecting.

I agree with this.

Also agree with those who would like the bring in another TE who would be a reliable pass catcher in the red zone. The Niners haven't shown that they have more than one absolutely reliable go-to guy in the red zone. I expect that to be addressed this off-season.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
He drops too many passes. I say let him go.
  • dj43
  • Veteran
We should not focus solely on his pass receiving. He is one of the most versatile players on the team. He IS a threat in the passing game despite some untimely drops. However, he is also a VERY good blocker who is unafraid to take on DL who outweigh him by 50+ pounds. He is a leader on STs as well. If he leaves, it will leave a hole on ST if nothing else. His size and speed is not easy to replace.

As to the passing game side of it; if the 49ers solve the problem at WR, Walker's role in the offense will be reduced. He was often split out as a receiver largely because there was no one else to deploy after Williams and Manningham went down.

I would like to retain him even if Ertz or Eifert fall to the 49ers...assuming he can fit into the cap.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
He's perfect for what we do, but someone will pay him to be a WR.
the real question is how important are the 49ers to delanie walker? he is going to get offers and its up to him to set his price. i know the 49ers have a price in mind for him and if he wants more he will be gone.
[ Edited by crabman82 on Mar 2, 2013 at 10:26 AM ]
If Harbaugh and Baalke think he should be a FA priority than so do I.