There are 126 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Larry Grant

Would love to keep him with us.. but the obvious question is.. what kind of contract will keep him? 3 years, 6 mil? more?
The Minnesota Vikings would be the best landing spot for #54 IMO....even though I want to keep him, he might be a bit too pricey to retain , unless he gives us a hometown discount ...but he wants to play, so might as well draft another ILB to groom for the future
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Would love to keep him with us.. but the obvious question is.. what kind of contract will keep him? 3 years, 6 mil? more?

Problem is there is no middle class in the NFL. You either get starter money or league minimum. That being said I can justify in my head a 3 year 6 million dollar contract. He can back up both ilb spots so it is worth it.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
I think there's a very good chance of getting Grant back on the cheap now, three weeks into FA. I don't think a lot of teams see him as a starter. They might just think he was a product of our system and talent around him. Teams will look at the 8 games he started with Rams in 2010 where he only had 20 tkls (2.5 avg per game).
Opposed to where he stepped in for Patrick in 2011 only started 3 games but had 28 tkls (9.3 avg per game). I hope we can get him back at the min, he knows our system and would be an invaluable backup.
Want.
Originally posted by English:
Want.

I agree, this would be a solid resign for us we could use this guy incase willis or bowman gets injured.
Originally posted by Youngone:
Meh, go young. I wouldn't want him more than one more year.

Meh, not everything can be fixed with the draft or cheap garbage FA's. You win in the league with quality depth. How can you not know this as a 49ers fan? This organization stockpiles depth like no other in the league and there's a good reason for it. Experienced backups and rotational players are just as important as quality starters. We should be so lucky to get Grant back in here. "Meh" typical response probably form another poster who thinks cheaper is always the answer. Grant is young, experienced and skilled. Replace that with an unknown who will more than likely get tossed around like a little girl if one of our rocks go down at MLB? No thanks. I think Grant will be picked up to start somewhere but if we can get him back I'm all for it! I'm sure the draft junkies would be thrilled about having to use one of our draft picks on a MLB when we already have the two best in the game.
Originally posted by DontSitOnTheHood:
He's an albatross, needs to go. Lost the JUCO National Championship twice as a freshman and sophomore, the National Championship twice as a junior and senior at Ohio State, Now he's lost the Super Bowl in the NFL...

yup its his fault, not our terrible ST, our James fumble or the fact that Kaep cant throw a touch pass...
I have been perusing FA plenty... still not a peep on Mr. Grant. Maybe he just lives under the radar, and that will work for us? I hope he gets underwhelming attention and comes back to us on a 3 year, 5 mil deal with playing time incentives added in.
I would love to keep Grant. He is a good MLB, and a special teams ace. I love the way he stepped in when Willis got injured. He is a baller. 3 years for 6mil is a bargain for Grant.
Many guys over the years will see no playing time because of Pat and Bo.
I just wonder why we went out and signed Skuta before we saw if Grant and Gooden could be had for around same price. Everything else equal, I can't imagine why Harbaugh wouldn't prefer Grant and Gooden to Skuta. They have both been studs on special teams (and being a stud for us carries more weight than being a stud elsewhere) and both have plenty of ILB playing experience for if they needed to step in, which Grant did admirably in 2011 when Willis had his hammy.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Many guys over the years will see no playing time because of Pat and Bo.

Well, that's making a large and risky assumption that neither stud ILB ever miss action due to injury.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kap2crab:
I just wonder why we went out and signed Skuta before we saw if Grant and Gooden could be had for around same price. Everything else equal, I can't imagine why Harbaugh wouldn't prefer Grant and Gooden to Skuta. They have both been studs on special teams (and being a stud for us carries more weight than being a stud elsewhere) and both have plenty of ILB playing experience for if they needed to step in, which Grant did admirably in 2011 when Willis had his hammy.
uhm,, that is because if you are a good coach you do not stand still. when you stand still you lose ground and then you lose your job. sure its nice to have grant back but the coaches think skuta is a upgrade in regards to special teams. i keep hearing about all of these guys who have been alleged "studs" for us in special teams like delanie walker and grant but we were horrid in special teams last year. sure if grant and gooden come back that is ok but we have made at least two and probably three upgrades in special teams not to mention a new kicker. after last year everyones job is open in regards to special teams and i applaud the coaches for being proactive.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Well, that's making a large and risky assumption that neither stud ILB ever miss action due to injury.

maybe grant is over rated by the webzone and the coaches feel we can do better and have done better with the people they have signed for special teams. being a "ace" on special teams like grant supposedly was last year on our special ed teams is not saying a whole lot.