There are 122 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Who Should We Retain?

Originally posted by merm49:
Let's keep it short and simple. Out of our main upcoming FAs, who do you want to keep. As a corollary, who would you like to be let go?

For me, Walker is the only absolute must keep out of the core 5 FAs Soap, RJF, Moss, DW, and Goldson. While his hands are a bit suspect and he's seems to be prone to a couple fumbles/season, his versatility is key to our multifaceted offense and he's a hell of a special teamer. While he's fast as hell for a TE, he may be even more valuable as a blocker on traps, pulls, and out of the backfield. Plus, the dude straight-out balled in the SB.

Next, I'd like to keep Goldson, at the right price (wouldn't we all). I have a feeling that even if he was tagged, he'd hold out anyways. He's a big hitter and makes plays, but he also gets burned periodically in coverage and has a penchant for late and/or helmet-helmet hits. That said, I, like others, would be very weary of Whitner (I'm already weary of him as it is) plus a rookie back there (unless we go after a FS) in FA. In a perfect world, we keep Goldson and let Whitner go, either drafting his replacement or perhaps even moving Culliver to FS and Goldson to SS. I think that could work quite well. Goldson is a hard hitter and great in run support, and Cully's natural position is FS anyways. There's not a whole lot of safties who transition to CB; as we all know (Lott, Charles Woodson as the prime examples) it's often the other way around. Culliver's biggest problem seems to be turnign his head and locating the ball in coverage...putting him at FS would largely remove that problem.

I think RJF is a valuable piece, but he might get starters money elsewhere. Soap, while he's been here forever and has awesome hair, doesn't offer a whole lot. If Moss wanted back on the team, I'd welcome him I guess, but he doesn't really seem to have it anymore and sounded a bit displeased with his role at media day.

I wouldn't be bothered by letting Rogers go, but it sounds like we'll keep him. He's a solid player, nothing more; '11 was obviously a fluke taken in the context of this year and his entire career. Whitner's a great character guy, tackler, and in run-support, but a HUGE liability in coverage. If this were Madden (and we didn't have the best LBs in the game) I'd move him to OLB; since it's not, I'd cut him, but I feel that's unlikely. Otherwise, Goodwin could be let go to save some cash. He's nothing special, and we could give Looney a shot--who got some nice press the last week or two.

Whomever pays RJF is getting a very average player. And he will get more than he is worth. Sound like Soap?

Please go back and watch the tape of Moss playing. For all of his rah rah and being a good locker room guy, he played like washed up puss by letting up on deep balls and running out of bounds when he could. Then he finally talks and when he does he complains about not being more involved. AND he refers to himself as the greatest of all time. PASS.
Goldson is the only must-sign imo. I just can't see us putting the last line of defense into the hands of a rookie and definitely not Robinson or Spillman.

I would be open to resigning one of Sopoaga or RJF if the price is right (cheap).
Originally posted by NCommand:
AB, work your magic.

Playing GM, how would we look for salary cap (FA $) and draft with the following moves:

Alex (- $9,750,000) - gone; replaced by rookie

Rogers (- $7,344,531) (+ $9,000,000) - gone; replaced by top tier FA CB (e.g. Revis et al)
Goodwin (- $5,016,668) - gone; replaced by Looney/Kilgore
Manningham (- $4,950,000) - gone; injury settlement; replaced by AJ/Williams is back
Whitner
(- $4,933,333) - gone; replaced by Goldson
Akers
(- $3,616,668) - gone; replaced by draft pick
Haralson
(- $2,870,000) - gone; replaced by draft pick and Johnson/Fleming
Soapoaga - gone; replaced by high draft pick
RJF - gone; replaced by Ian Williams
Moss - gone; replaced by Lockett and high draft pick

Walker (+ $4,000,000) - signed to 2 year deal for 2 year 8 million?
Goldson
(+ $7,250,000) - signed to 4 year 30 million; FS position filled with Spillman/Robinson/Culliver or high draft pick

Sure.

Currently $657k over with a $123M cap. So here it is.

Cuts/Trades:
Alex- $9.75m saved
Goodwin- $4.35m saved
Mario- $2.35m saved
Akers- $4.05m saved
Haralson- $2.87m saved

Total cap room now $22.713M

Signings:

Walker and Goldson equals $11.25M

Current cap room- $11.463m left
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
AB, work your magic.

Playing GM, how would we look for salary cap (FA $) and draft with the following moves:

Alex (- $9,750,000) - gone; replaced by rookie

Rogers (- $7,344,531) (+ $9,000,000) - gone; replaced by top tier FA CB (e.g. Revis et al)
Goodwin (- $5,016,668) - gone; replaced by Looney/Kilgore
Manningham (- $4,950,000) - gone; injury settlement; replaced by AJ/Williams is back
Whitner
(- $4,933,333) - gone; replaced by Goldson
Akers
(- $3,616,668) - gone; replaced by draft pick
Haralson
(- $2,870,000) - gone; replaced by draft pick and Johnson/Fleming
Soapoaga - gone; replaced by high draft pick
RJF - gone; replaced by Ian Williams
Moss - gone; replaced by Lockett and high draft pick

Walker (+ $4,000,000) - signed to 2 year deal for 2 year 8 million?
Goldson
(+ $7,250,000) - signed to 4 year 30 million; FS position filled with Spillman/Robinson/Culliver or high draft pick

Sure.

Currently $657k over with a $123M cap. So here it is.

Cuts/Trades:
Alex- $9.75m saved
Goodwin- $4.35m saved
Mario- $2.35m saved
Akers- $4.05m saved
Haralson- $2.87m saved

Total cap room now $22.713M

Signings:

Walker and Goldson equals $11.25M

Current cap room- $11.463m left

You ARE the best AB! Would signing Walker to a 2 year 8 million contract be reasonable? I'm not sure what the market would be a second/starting TE of his skill set. Anyone?
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 27, 2013 at 6:56 AM ]
I see them tagging Goldson, while resigning Walker and RFJ.

The rest are cuts. That may include Whitner.
Originally posted by Beeker:
Whitner is a STATUE in coverage. HUGE liability for his position.

Should of kept Taylor mays
You ARE the best AB! Would signing Walker to a 2 year 8 million contract be reasonable? I'm not sure what the market would be a second/starting TE of his skill set. Anyone?

I think so. He is a good TE. Does everything asked of him.

Great, just wasn't sure what the market would be like for him (if I was in the general $ neighborhood).

Great, just wasn't sure what the market would be like for him (if I was in the general $ neighborhood).

I think 4M a yr is reasonable. He will command that IMO. He is a do it all TE and player and I would love to keep him around.
Sign walker and Goldson and we should be alright