LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 213 users in the forums

Deal for Alex Smith Done?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Garcia:
Why all the hate for Alex though?

they are extremely worried it will be another Matt Cassell situation for them....just when they thought they were out of the Cassell era, this happens.

I really don't know what is going to happen...but if Alex plays like he has played these past few years with us...he will be much better than Cassell...but Cassell was playing how Alex used to play, high passes that almost got his WRs killed...turned the ball over, didn't step up in the pocket, etc.

we'll see what happens...but I think Andy Reid will do his best to get the best out of Alex and their offense....they already have a pretty good defense and running game.
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:
Gregg Rosenthal: Everywhere I go in Indianapolis, I hear someone say that the Alex Smith-to-Kansas City deal is all but done. (Now CBS is reporting a deal is "effectively done" for Smith, but won't name the team.) NFL Network's Ian Rapoport says the Chiefs have showed the most interest. Mr. RapSheet also hears the Chiefs are particularly high on tackle Luke Joeckel as a No. 1 overall pick candidate.

I think that's a solid plan for the Chiefs. Build the right way and that starts on the offensive line. Sure Alex ain't a world beater but he's good for 9-7 in that s**t division with a decent line, run game, solid defense and proper coaching.
I don't know what KC might be giving up but KC fans should be jumping for joy after watching Matt Cassel,Brady Quinn and Tyler Thigpen the last few years.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Matt Barrows ‏@mattbarrows

Not gonna guess, but wouldn't be surprised if it's ... @JC_Boza: in your ... opinion, how high of a round pick will Niners get for Alex?

... a 2014 pick (or picks) and if there are conditions attached. After all, the 49ers are expecting 14 picks this year as it is.
I just can't see the Niners settling for 2014 conditional pick(s) after reaching "agreement" with another team so quickly. Wouldn't you think they would continue to shop for a better deal?
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
LOL Chiefs fans reactions

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270361

Wow chiefs fans have NO love for Alex LMAO
[ Edited by DonnieDarko on Feb 24, 2013 at 3:42 PM ]
They should just take Luke Joeckel, who is the best player in the draft and see how they perform with a competent QB like Alex. If Alex sucks then they will be in position to draft a QB in a stronger draft. The only real downside is being mired in the 6-9 win range or so, year after year. Even so, this isn't the NBA or NHL where the talent level tends to drop off dramatically outside of the top half of the draft. You can find good players all over the first round and in later rounds as well. Matt Cassel is horrendous, Quinn is worse, they could do a hell of a lot worse than Alex Smith. They have a run game in place, Dwayne Bowe, Moeaki can be a decent option. They need another corner next to Brandon Flowers but their D is not as bad as their record indicates (more blame should be placed on their O, IMO). They just want the flash of picking a QB 1st, rather than picking the best player. If you think Geno Smith is the best player in this draft then you take him, I just don't see it.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

Wow chiefs fans Jane NO love for Alex LMAO
check downs

rolls out, throws it away

takes sacks

limited arm strength

ultra conservative

I don't blame them
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sdcindy:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Matt Barrows ‏@mattbarrows

Not gonna guess, but wouldn't be surprised if it's ... @JC_Boza: in your ... opinion, how high of a round pick will Niners get for Alex?

... a 2014 pick (or picks) and if there are conditions attached. After all, the 49ers are expecting 14 picks this year as it is.
I just can't see the Niners settling for 2014 conditional pick(s) after reaching "agreement" with another team so quickly. Wouldn't you think they would continue to shop for a better deal?

Unless it's a 1st next year if he starts 12 games (or something similar) then yes... I agree.
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:
Anything is better than the TO trade to Philly

Originally posted by Hopper:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Oh yeah.....not to pop anyone's bubble here but....

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora

Jim Harbaugh will be the next head coach of the Miami Dolphins

+1 La confora's sources suck.

Dan lebatard is the one who broke the news tha JH was going to Miami.....

LOL at phoenix trying to sell them Smith

with the longest post evar
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by Garcia:
Why all the hate for Alex though?

they are extremely worried it will be another Matt Cassell situation for them....just when they thought they were out of the Cassell era, this happens.

I really don't know what is going to happen...but if Alex plays like he has played these past few years with us...he will be much better than Cassell...but Cassell was playing how Alex used to play, high passes that almost got his WRs killed...turned the ball over, didn't step up in the pocket, etc.

we'll see what happens...but I think Andy Reid will do his best to get the best out of Alex and their offense....they already have a pretty good defense and running game.

Nobody truly hates Alex, but he symbolizes the Nolan loser era. Nolan picked Alex instead of hometown hero Rodgers. That frustrates anyone that is a true Niner fan. Alex is frustrating and limited. We have our new homegrown stud and his name is Colin Kaepernick! Harbaugh doesn't make dumb bonehead decisions like Nolan. In Harbaugh I trust!
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by SofaKing:

lolololol..wow. It's pretty much unanimous. They don't want Alex in KC.

Yeah I guess they'd rather keep Cassel. Lol wtf do they expect? They can still draft a QB and take Alex.
Well as unfortunate and unfair it might be, there is a perception that Alex is a bust. It's a perception that is so strong that even when Alex was playing great last year, you still had national media members (like Jamie Dukes for example) bashing him, making disparaging comments like "game manager" and making claims that we were dumbing down the offense for Alex etc. Once a stigma has been attached to you it's incredibly hard to shake that. People see what they want to see and they don't want to have to admit that they were wrong in proclaiming Alex a bust.

When you're a fan of another team and all you hear about players on other teams is what the national media is telling you, and the media has long proclaimed Alex a bust, is it any surprise that Chiefs fans reacted the way they did? I feel bad for Alex, but I also know that he's been through a lot worse here and just like he won the respect of the majority of the fanbase (although there are a few who still cling to the bust line) I think he'll eventually win over Chiefs fans with his solid play and great attitude.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:

LOL at phoenix trying to sell them Smith

with the longest post evar
I know! He wrote an Alex Smith novel(the extended version).
Share 49ersWebzone