There are 90 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

How Should the 49ers Address the Kicker Position?

How Should the 49ers Address the Kicker Position?

Originally posted by BobS:
If you think about it a kicker needs the least amount of physical and mental attributes of any position of any player on a football team. Being a kicker does not require height, speed, size, good hands, or football smarts. I believe if a team can't find a suitable kicker they aren't looking hard enough.

I was only busting balls because of how you worded it. I don't disagree, I think it will be relatively easy for the Niners to find a replacement.

But they definitely need mental toughness, that's arguably more than half the battle when it comes to kicking--keeping a level head and clear conscious.

I also think that unless someone particularly impresses them in the draft that they may be wise to do their homework on free agent kickers. Sure, there's a big influx of rookie/undrafted kickers that did very well last year but that could be an anomaly and shouldn't be accepted as the standard.
Draft Hopkins in the 5th. His contract will be VERY cap friendly.

Small price to pay for a guy that can win close games for about 10+ years.
draft..
  • Amir
  • Veteran
I say we don't use a kicker. Just go for it or punt it. championship!
We have so many picks I don't care if they decide to pick one pretty early.
[ Edited by leakyfausett on Feb 24, 2013 at 11:21 AM ]
Originally posted by leakyfausett:
We have so many picks I don't care if they decide to pick one pretty early.

In the first round, Janikowski style
In answer to PT's question, I would say, "Carefully". Sure there are some good kickers out there in college, but in the pros? It doesn't always translate. I do agree we ought to be looking, but no idea how high in draft. I do think Amir in jest, does have a point. Actually I didn't mind having a kicker dependable only from inside the 20. It completely changed the focus of coaching in the RZ and also inside the 40, where we had to go for it rather than kick. I liked that, and many times have wished , "Jeez, coach, just go for it". Well with a kicker not reliable outside the 20, it does force Coach to make a different call as opposed to calling on a "Janikowski". By the way, how has that worked out for the raiders?. Make no mistake, we DO need a good kicker. But that said, it gave harbaugh a different coaching perspective when he didnt' have an automatic 3 pts 40 yds out....and that, I believe, was good, because maybe this yr he will forego more FGs and try for more TDs.
Most of you mention Dustin Hopkins, but are there any others that you would take? Perhaps Caleb Sturgis?
Originally posted by Wrathman:
The draft
The FSU kicker is good. We should draft him.

Yup. I think we should take him with our first 4th round pick (we have 3).
Originally posted by SFTifoso:
Originally posted by Wrathman:
The draft
The FSU kicker is good. We should draft him.

Yup. I think we should take him with our first 4th round pick (we have 3).

I would snag him in the 4th. And yes he's worth that. Because somebody definitely will in the 5th and we pick last almost in every round. So we will lose out on him. We found out this year how important a kicker is. Hopkins can hit from 55+ and he's money 50 on in. Don't tell me he's not worth a 4th for 10 years of solid play.
Alex Smith for Janakowski
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I would snag him in the 4th. And yes he's worth that. Because somebody definitely will in the 5th and we pick last almost in every round. So we will lose out on him. We found out this year how important a kicker is. Hopkins can hit from 55+ and he's money 50 on in. Don't tell me he's not worth a 4th for 10 years of solid play.

Hopkins has a slightly stronger leg, Sturgis has better accuracy. Both hit from 56 yards out for their college longest kick. Sturgis missed 4 field goals on the year and 3 of them were blocked due to...well, poor blocking. Otherwise he's a very clutch kicker who's money when it matters the most.

Beyond that, there are a few other good kickers who will be available in the 6th and 7th round such as Brett Baer of Louisiana-Lafayette who connected on 90% of his attempts.

I'd personally take Hopkins or Sturgis if they are available at the back end of the 5th round, if not, draft a guy like Quinn Sharp or Baer, and then bring in four of five undrafted kickers and let them have a showdown to decide who gets to stick around.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 25, 2013 at 9:21 AM ]
Go with a battle between Akers, a rookie, a FA rookie (like the one we tried out earlier) and a veteran perhaps. We don't just need a PK but one that can excel IN Candlestick (at least for this year) and one that can kick the damn ball out of the EZ every time. Every time!!!!!

Candlestick is a very hard place to kick in at times.
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 25, 2013 at 9:56 AM ]
Use one of our 5th or 6th rounders to get the best kicker in the draft.
Originally posted by blm7754:
Use one of our 5th or 6th rounders to get the best kicker in the draft.

Agreed or even a 7th!