There are 95 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

WTF AJ Jenkins, why are you not in Atlanta???

Originally posted by defenderDX:
Oh okay so just because AJ didn't have 100 catches for 1,500 yards and 20 TD's labels him as a bust basically. I mean OBVIOUSLY he's a bust considering he has Moss, Mannignham, and Crabs ahead of him in his ROOKIE year and isnt with Kaep 2 weeks after the superbowl.


Nothing like a bit of hyperbole...no reasonable person was expecting anything earth-shattering from him or is calling him a total bust. Yet. But it's not a stretch to argue that a first-round pick should have been able to contribute something, and definitely so after Manningham and Williams went down. I think a lot of people would have been satisfied with a handful of receptions and giving an inkling of great things to come. Instead we saw a guy who struggled to line up correctly and who prompted more questions than excitement for the future. It's not an overstatement to say it's a red flag when, even after those injuries, Jenkins couldn't even take snaps from Hall and Ted Ginn. Repeat: Ted Ginn.
With a QB who can and will stretch the field vertically and a WR situation that, besides Crabtree, has some question marks, Jenkins really couldn't ask for a better shot than what he'll have in 2013. I hope he succeeds.
2nd only to losing the SuperBowl... This draft pick is the thing that bothers me most about the 2012 49ers season!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 25,465
Originally posted by gold49digger:
AJ better get his ass in ATL ASAP. Plus he better call up Jerry for the hill run.

the first part of your comment is on the money,, the second part about the hill is not in my opinion. the hill and working with jerry rice is over rated. i am so sick of jerry rice still trying to make himself important and the focal point.. he did that for two disaster weeks in new orleans. jenkins working with ck and CURRENT niners means a helluva lot more than running some hill that means nothing to this current group of niners
  • Amir
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 25,858
didnt go thru this thread. a recent article said he would be there soon. whats the big fuss? god forbid he gets more than two weeks to spend with family and friends.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 25,465
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Oh okay so just because AJ didn't have 100 catches for 1,500 yards and 20 TD's labels him as a bust basically. I mean OBVIOUSLY he's a bust considering he has Moss, Mannignham, and Crabs ahead of him in his ROOKIE year and isnt with Kaep 2 weeks after the superbowl.

i would like to have thought we could have a happy medium for a number one draft pick between 100 catches and zero catches/ one drop in his f**king chest
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 25,465
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
Nothing like a bit of hyperbole...no reasonable person was expecting anything earth-shattering from him or is calling him a total bust. Yet. But it's not a stretch to argue that a first-round pick should have been able to contribute something, and definitely so after Manningham and Williams went down. I think a lot of people would have been satisfied with a handful of receptions and giving an inkling of great things to come. Instead we saw a guy who struggled to line up correctly and who prompted more questions than excitement for the future. It's not an overstatement to say it's a red flag when, even after those injuries, Jenkins couldn't even take snaps from Hall and Ted Ginn. Repeat: Ted Ginn.
With a QB who can and will stretch the field vertically and a WR situation that, besides Crabtree, has some question marks, Jenkins really couldn't ask for a better shot than what he'll have in 2013. I hope he succeeds.
of course this is the truth
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Oh okay so just because AJ didn't have 100 catches for 1,500 yards and 20 TD's labels him as a bust basically. I mean OBVIOUSLY he's a bust considering he has Moss, Mannignham, and Crabs ahead of him in his ROOKIE year and isnt with Kaep 2 weeks after the superbowl.

i would like to have thought we could have a happy medium for a number one draft pick between 100 catches and zero catches/ one drop in his f**king chest

right because that totally constitutes him as being a bust right
Unless he was great at blocking and knew the playbook like the back of his hand, I'm not sure how Jenkins was going to be able to get into a game on a team that featured very few multiple receiver sets and had Crabtree, Manningham, Moss, Davis and Walker with K Williams sometimes going in the slot. Now, when Manningham and Williams were injured, I expected to see him, but you still had the lack of multiple receiver sets. I expect to see some four-receiver sets with Kaepernick next season. If we go through a season like that and I still don't see Jenkins contributing, then I will agree that he's a bust. But right now, as far as I'm concerned, it's too early for labels.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 25,465
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Oh okay so just because AJ didn't have 100 catches for 1,500 yards and 20 TD's labels him as a bust basically. I mean OBVIOUSLY he's a bust considering he has Moss, Mannignham, and Crabs ahead of him in his ROOKIE year and isnt with Kaep 2 weeks after the superbowl.

i would like to have thought we could have a happy medium for a number one draft pick between 100 catches and zero catches/ one drop in his f**king chest

right because that totally constitutes him as being a bust right
ok.. now I have given jenkins alot of s**t this year but have never said he was a bust. i said i am disapointed in him. i was upset chad hall and ginn got playing time ahead of him, i was upset his production, after two guys went down,, was one drop and no catches. i have said i am willing to give him a second off season working at camp ck. i have said i expect him to be better in august than what he is now ,, HOWEVER if at the end of pre season, on the eve of the regular season he is still the same person he was at the end of this past season,, yes he would be a bust in my opinion
AJ Jenkins wasn't my favorite receiver in the 2012 Draft, but I think he'll end up being a solid #3.

Keep in mind that rookie WRs are rarely major contributors.

Justin Blackmon led all rookies in receptions and he was tied for 34th in the league, despite being the main option on his team and a top-5 pick.

Some of WZ's favorite prospects from last year who were drafted after Jenkins and how they did...

Stephen Hill, 21 rec for 252 yds and 3 TDs
Rueben Randle, 19 rec for 298 yds and 3 TDs
Brian Quick, 11 rec for 156 yds and 2 TDs
Tommy Streeter, inactive all year for Baltimore
Marvin Jones, 18 rec for 201 yds and 1 TD
Marvin McNutt, played in 4 games, 0 catches
T.Y. Hilton, 50 rec for 861 yds and 7 TDs
Greg Childs, inactive all year for Minnesota
Nick Toon, inactive all year for New Orleans
Hill (Jets), Randle (Giants), Quick (Rams), Hilton (Colts) -- all those teams play spread four-receiver sets a lot.
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
AJ Jenkins wasn't my favorite receiver in the 2012 Draft, but I think he'll end up being a solid #3.

Keep in mind that rookie WRs are rarely major contributors.

Justin Blackmon led all rookies in receptions and he was tied for 34th in the league, despite being the main option on his team and a top-5 pick.

Some of WZ's favorite prospects from last year who were drafted after Jenkins and how they did...

Stephen Hill, 21 rec for 252 yds and 3 TDs
Rueben Randle, 19 rec for 298 yds and 3 TDs
Brian Quick, 11 rec for 156 yds and 2 TDs
Tommy Streeter, inactive all year for Baltimore
Marvin Jones, 18 rec for 201 yds and 1 TD
Marvin McNutt, played in 4 games, 0 catches
T.Y. Hilton, 50 rec for 861 yds and 7 TDs
Greg Childs, inactive all year for Minnesota
Nick Toon, inactive all year for New Orleans

first round pick for a number 3 receiver is fail
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 25,465
Originally posted by susweel:
first round pick for a number 3 receiver is fail

uhm,., was kind of thinking the same thing. you do not draft a wide out at number one just so you hope he can be a number 3 on the team. that is not logical
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by susweel:
first round pick for a number 3 receiver is fail

uhm,., was kind of thinking the same thing. you do not draft a wide out at number one just so you hope he can be a number 3 on the team. that is not logical

I been watching ball a long time and you can usually tell who can play and who cant play pretty quickly.
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by susweel:
first round pick for a number 3 receiver is fail

uhm,., was kind of thinking the same thing. you do not draft a wide out at number one just so you hope he can be a number 3 on the team. that is not logical

I been watching ball a long time and you can usually tell who can play and who cant play pretty quickly.

Yep, TY Hilton has it, the majority of the WRs in that class, not so much.