LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 149 users in the forums

49ers signed Glenn Dorsey

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Yes we do, he certainly is athletic enough and he even played some end in KC. I just don't want to overpay for him. I think he can do quite well here, he can play any position on the d-line, I just think he's best utilized in a 4-3.
I assume he would be more of a 3-4 DE? Seems a little light to be a NT.
Originally posted by yoshi:
Niners like former first rounders.

This! harbaugh and baalke like to look for former hyped players who they think didn't get a chance to thrive in their environments. low risk high reward type of players. that's what we did with whitner, rogers, alex smith, and braylon Edwards in 2011
Originally posted by PTulini:
I assume he would be more of a 3-4 DE? Seems a little light to be a NT.

yea he is really small for a NT. even Soap outweighs him by 20-30 lbs and soap was thought to be a small NT wasn't he?

Jim Tomsula could have a new project on the way. I hope he can get Glenn Dorsey going!
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Plays with good leverage and seems pretty quick off the LOS, don't see why he couldn't play NT in our defense. Seems he played the nose when LSU went with 3 down-lineman, this should be interesting if hes signed.
Not a good amount of encouraging news on him. One Chiefs fan on PFT called him a weak link to the line.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Sign him and put him in the rotation.
Very solid against the run in the 3-4 the last few years. He could spell either of our ends. Don't see him as Isaac direct replacement for some reason guys. This guy in terms of measurables, coming out of college was compared favorably to Sapp. Sapp needed to play in a 4-3, in the Raiders 3-4 he was strictly an end, which is what I see Dorsey as here. If he has half the pass rush ability he showed in college as a DT our nickel package could be interesting with him in it, instead of Mac or if Justin is tired. He didn't really show that pass rush ability even playing his natural position but Tomsula is really great and Dorsey has undeniable talent. If he comes realtively cheap, he'd be a very solid backup for our DEs and potentially nice surprise.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I really want this kid. I think he doesn't leave without a contract.

Originally posted by Kolohe:
Plays with good leverage and seems pretty quick off the LOS, don't see why he couldn't play NT in our defense. Seems he played the nose when LSU went with 3 down-lineman, this should be interesting if hes signed.

He hasn't shown the push and power to play that NT on the NFL level. I think he can be a great fit for DE but he ain't a NT. I think the starting NT is in the draft But we shall see.
Originally posted by lamontb:

He hasn't shown the push and power to play that NT on the NFL level. I think he can be a great fit for DE but he ain't a NT. I think the starting NT is in the draft But we shall see.

Brandon Williams in the 2nd!
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by lamontb:

Brandon Williams in the 2nd!
I can dig it. And when they play four man fronts I think they could use Dorsey and J Smith on the inside with Aldon and Ray Mac at the DE. Then you can rotate Brooks in with either Aldon or Ray Mac. Or you could give Justin a rest and let Dorsey/RayMac/B Williams hold down the interior. so many combinations they could be effective with.
I don't watch many Chiefs' games, but he sounds solid against the run at the 34 DE spot and I remember he was a great DT for LSU. We kick our DE's inside when we go 4 DL on passing downs, so I can see why he might fit.

Overall, I'm just "meh" on this. Dorsey can spell J Smith so he doesn't wear down so much at the end of the season, but I hope we still make this spot a draft priority.
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter And 49ers have reached agreement with former Chiefs DT Glenn Dorsey.

CHAMPIONSHIPSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
[ Edited by valrod33 on Mar 13, 2013 at 2:38 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone