There are 113 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Will David Akers be back next season?

Will David Akers be back next season?

If he had a contract based on performance - he's owe the team $$$.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Originally posted by Beeker:
Originally posted by dyNASTYmode:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Unless there is a clear and correctable reason as to why he started failing so miserably, I don't see why he'd be back.

Kicking with a double hernia seems to be a clear reason to why he was missing kicks... an offseason to heal his body seems like a logical solution

He had all of LAST offseason to recovery form the double hernia SURGERY he had last February.

Again, his problem was not physical. He would nail all his kicks in pre-game warmups. He nailed his kicks when he was competing with the other kicker they brought in. It was a mental problem. It only happened during games. He's got a case of the yips.

Not arguing G. In fact, you reinforced my point succinctly.
let him kick it out with some comp. if he comes out fine and looks like returning to his 2011 form, we are better off. If not, then part ways.
  • ace52
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ace49ers:
let him kick it out with some comp. if he comes out fine and looks like returning to his 2011 form, we are better off. If not, then part ways.

The problem is Akers always kicks well in practice, or in a competition with another kicker. Then when game time comes, his mental problems kick in.
At this point, I really hope the Niners will let him go, and open next season with another kicker.
  • Paul
  • Veteran
Banking on us bringing in Dawson to replace Akers.
I think that would be dependent on his physical condition. I still think that in spite of all the denials, he had something physically wrong with him that made him change the way he was kicking the ball and that's why he was continually kicking the ball to the left.

It's really difficult to find a consistent field goal kicker because of the different conditions that each field in the NFL offers. Yes, you can draft a new kicker but it's still a crap shoot at best.
Originally posted by Paul:
Banking on us bringing in Dawson to replace Akers.

kind of had enough of the older vet guys, time to find us a kicker for the next 8-10 years in the draft or college fa route. look what walsh did in minny and tucker in baltimore
Originally posted by crabman82:
kind of had enough of the older vet guys, time to find us a kicker for the next 8-10 years in the draft or college fa route. look what walsh did in minny and tucker in baltimore

Agreed - we have plenty enough draft picks this year to pick up a kicker or 2 in the later rounds. And I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but what aboout bringing back Carmazzo, at least for camp?
Just....no
I seriously doubt it especially after missing one in the NFC championship and again in the SB.
i wouldn't be surprised if he was kept on for competition for a younger guy or 2.
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
i wouldn't be surprised if he was kept on for competition for a younger guy or 2.

Cut him at the end of preseason?
Why on earth would the Niners spend $3 million to keep Akers on the roster? That just doesn't make any sense. He's going to be cut loose.
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
Umm let me just say ahhhh hmmmmm welll I would probably have to answer HELL NO