There are 152 users in the forums

Will David Akers be back next season?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Will David Akers be back next season?

Possibly.

JH may want to bring him back for TC competition w/newly signed rookie PK.

Doubtful BUT not out of the question.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
he should not be. he should have been gone after the first rams loss but thats a whole other story
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dyNASTYmode:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Unless there is a clear and correctable reason as to why he started failing so miserably, I don't see why he'd be back.

Kicking with a double hernia seems to be a clear reason to why he was missing kicks... an offseason to heal his body seems like a logical solution
f**k him and his double hernia. i can forgive kyle for a fumble, james for a fumble, craig for a fumble but when a kicker f**ks us over multiple times,, f**k him
After not being able to win two Rams games with very make-able kicks, I'd be astonished if he's back. I just don't think Harbaugh will stand for that kind of thing.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GNielsen:
After not being able to win two Rams games with very make-able kicks, I'd be astonished if he's back. I just don't think Harbaugh will stand for that kind of thing.
i think the expression on the face of the coach when akers missed a chip shot vs,, help me,,,, in the playoffs,,, falcons maybe right before half?? anyway i think that says it all and i am kind of shocked akers is not gone right now!
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by GNielsen:
i think the expression on the face of the coach when akers missed a chip shot vs,, help me,,,, in the playoffs,,, falcons maybe right before half?? anyway i think that says it all and i am kind of shocked akers is not gone right now!

He hit the left pole (?) against the Falcons. I got super heated when we weren't able to finish the drive because I knew going for a FG was a gamble in itself.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
He hit the left pole (?) against the Falcons. I got super heated when we weren't able to finish the drive because I knew going for a FG was a gamble in itself.
yes,,,, thank you. The way the coach looked when he hooked it, i assumed akers would be removed from the team at half time and andy lee would punt on the kickoffs in the second half. they just can not bring him back,, can they? we really do not need that drama again
A one legged blind man would be a step up!...
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kaepmandu:
A one legged blind man would be a step up!...

i hate him(not the one legged blind man)
I say maybe with a restructured contract. I think he compensated for his injury and couldn't get his technique back. With an offseason to get healthy he may be back to form.

Originally posted by 1swift:
I say maybe with a restructured contract. I think he compensated for his injury and couldn't get his technique back. With an offseason to get healthy he may be back to form.

I'd be shocked. His problem wasn't physical, it was mental. He'd make every kick in pre-game warmups. He'd be just nailing them from everywhere. Then the game would begin and he'd go into the tank. He had the yips. He was a head case. He's gone.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by Wrathman:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
f**k no

^^This^^
He will absolutely not be back. I'm surprised he wasn't cut during the season!

Had we won the SB, it wouldve been the most amazing tightrope walk of all time for a kicker. I cannot believe that he didnt cost us our division title, our 1st round bye, our Divisional playoff game, our NFC Champ game, OR the SB.

We made it through all that with basically the worst kicker in the NFL, and it never came back to bite us. Unfortunately for Akers, had we won the SB, his horrible season wouldve been totally forgotten. People would just remember the record setting 2011 season, and the SB in 2012.

I don't think so. Even if we won the Super Bowl, nobody would want him back next season because we'd all remember his crappy 2012 season.

Im not saying he wouldve been back, just that his horrible 2012 wouldve been forgotten in the next few years.
Unless there is a clear and correctable reason as to why he started failing so miserably, I don't see why he'd be back.

Kicking with a double hernia seems to be a clear reason to why he was missing kicks... an offseason to heal his body seems like a logical solution

He had all of LAST offseason to recovery form the double hernia SURGERY he had last February.
[ Edited by Beeker on Feb 14, 2013 at 1:14 PM ]
Originally posted by Beeker:

He had all of LAST offseason to recovery form the double hernia SURGERY he had last February.

Again, his problem was not physical. He would nail all his kicks in pre-game warmups. He nailed his kicks when he was competing with the other kicker they brought in. It was a mental problem. It only happened during games. He's got a case of the yips.
If he had a contract based on performance - he's owe the team $$$.
Share 49ersWebzone