LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 203 users in the forums

Who would you prefer to be behind Frank Gore on the depth chart?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who would you prefer to be behind Frank Gore on the depth chart?

Originally posted by fryet:
As far as I am concerned, I don't think it is a given that Gore will be on the top of the depth chart next year. He will have to earn the starting job, and may the best RB win.

If Kendall comes back 100%, he could be a legit contender for the #1 RB spot. He has speed and more power than people give him credit for. His pass protection should be improving. He can be an every down back.
If Hunter comes back healthy, its hunter. No question.
Both LMJ and Khunt!
Gore will be the starter. Hunter spells him and they use James like the Saints and before them, the Charges, used Darren Sproles. They'll also use James in Pistol sets. The reason Gore will be the starter is that he not only still has all his nifty little moves like that jump cut and still hits the hole like a bat out of hell, but he is also the best blitz blocker in the NFL. He routinely stones dbacks blitzing. He still knocks them down and he's the best back they have at recognizing the blitz. He's got more years left than you guys give him credit for because he has been getting spelled. He had a great Super Bowl and that was after 18 games.
somebody who isnt coming off a major injury and doesn't fumble
Originally posted by MCrabs15:
As far as I am concerned, I don't think it is a given that Gore will be on the top of the depth chart next year. He will have to earn the starting job, and may the best RB win.

What could possess you to even remotely believe Gore is going to have to battle for his spot.

damn fryet i hope your joking?
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Hunter is a tremendous talent and was sorely missed in the post season
  • Axl49
  • Veteran
Hunter only because he more physical than he looks and that James Fumble still stings.
Hunter. 5.2 yards/carry last year. He got yards in bunches when he was in the game. I think we need to see a full year of James to know if he can develop into a true #1.
3 headed monster, Gore/Hunter/James, throw in a big back when needed, whether Dixon or a draft pick, plus our FB Miller. We have a nice running game, just need more receiving weapons, only have Crabtree and Vernon to rely on for 2013. Need to get a better #2 TE or get Walker back and work on his hands. And Mario/Kyle both need to get back 100% or close to that. And Jenkins needs to get to work, and get in shape for preseason.
[ Edited by AB83Rules on Feb 13, 2013 at 1:21 PM ]

I'd like to all three in the pistol formation, Hunter and James split with Gore at the top! Crabtree and Maningham on the edges! Or how about that backfield with Walker and Davis as a balanced double TE set! WOW! Talk about defensive matchup night mares!
[ Edited by GolittaCamper on Feb 13, 2013 at 2:11 PM ]
Good question but.... If Gore really only has about 1-2 solid years left in the tank, Can this team succeed with Hunter and James as the main options? To me Hunter and James are still more change of pace backs. Hunter could become a #1 guy when Gore leaves but I think this team will need someone a little bigger. I'd love for this team to take a chance on Marcus Lattimore in the 3-4 range
Originally posted by Axl49:
Hunter only because he more physical than he looks and that James Fumble still stings.

I'll tell you what tho....even tho he fumbled, that spin move he put on a defender to get back to the line of scrimmage was pretty.

I've watched the Super Bowl several times now and that run was pretty damn impressive before the ball was knocked out. He has to learn to hang on, but he's got something.
Can I go 2A and 2B here? To me the whole situation is a darn running hydra. All three could be on the field together with Kaep and heaven forbid, Harvin. Defend that damn headache NFL!
Originally posted by MCrabs15:

What could possess you to even remotely believe Gore is going to have to battle for his spot.

He is getting older, and the other RB are getting better. No spot on the starting line-up is promised, it must be earned.

Gore ranked 6th in the league for YPG for backs with 1000+ yards.
He is a lock to be #1.
Share 49ersWebzone