There are 108 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 Salary Cap Outlook, plus can the 49ers add a big name via Trade (Webzone Exclusive)

Originally posted by GNielsen:
I seem to recall that Manningham was pretty productive before he got injured. I his knee hasn't healed, all bets are off. As far as Whitner is concerned, I'm not sure he missed coverage as much as some people think. For example, the defensive call in the Super Bowl was for Whitner to go up and back the guy covering Boldin, not for him to go with Smith, but everyone seems to be blaming Whitner for the Jones catch. Culliver was the one who screwed up that one along with a bunch of other screwups. Culliver wasn't supposed to let Jones get behind him. Then, having let him get behind him, Culliver totally botched finding the ball in the air as he did so many times this season. But, the other reason I think Whitner is staying is because I don't see a lot of safeties around. There are a couple stud safeties in the draft, but I think the first two or three picks are going to be d-linemen.

I actually think this is a very strong safety free agent class, even without Goldson counted. Byrd is the best of the bunch, but Glover Quin, Louis Delmas, Ed Reed, William Moore, Kenny Phillips, and Laron Landry are all free agents this year and I think all of them would be an upgrade over Whitner.
Originally posted by DarkKnight1680:
I actually think this is a very strong safety free agent class, even without Goldson counted. Byrd is the best of the bunch, but Glover Quin, Louis Delmas, Ed Reed, William Moore, Kenny Phillips, and Laron Landry are all free agents this year and I think all of them would be an upgrade over Whitner.
Well, maybe they'll mix in a safety then. But, I think this draft is even more deep in defensive linemen and they really need to get bigger and deeper at that position, don't you agree?
From Pro Football Focus, on Safeties in 2013 (not including playoffs):
Well, maybe they'll mix in a safety then. But, I think this draft is even more deep in defensive linemen and they really need to get bigger and deeper at that position, don't you agree?

I'm less concerned about finding a safety in the draft than in getting rid of Whitner and replacing him with a cover-oriented safety. They don't need the extra run support and thats what Whitner brings. They need help on the back end.
Also from PFF in case anyone is interested. #1, 4, and 10 are all FAs.
Which of those three would be the most expensive? Isn't Clemons pretty tall and big?
Byrd would likely cost the most. Clemons is 6'1/215, but is not the best tackler. Byrd is 5'10/205 and has the best ball skills. Wilson is 6'0/215.
WalterFootball has them taking safety Johnathan Cyprien in the first and a 6'8" DE/DT named Margus Hunt in the second. This makes sense to me because of what I think they're going to do about Russell Wilson. They're going to deal with Wilson the same way the NFL has always dealt with quick, short QB's going back to the way the Steelers dealt with Fran Tarkenton - take advantage of his 5'10" height by trying to contain him in the pocket with their outside pass rushers while crushing the pocket with larger, taller internal defensive linemen. Make Wilson have to look for lanes through which to throw because he can't see over his offensive line. This is the way all defenses will scheme for the Seahawks next year and I predict Wilson will have a horrible sophomore slump.
Originally posted by pd24:
AB, does the cut in Brooks pay help the Cap in any way?

not by much.
Also from PFF in case anyone is interested. #1, 4, and 10 are all FAs.

Chris Clemons is a solid player. Personally, I think Whitner is Goldson insurance at this stage. If we can't do something with Goldson, we let him walk and move Whitner over, while bringing in a true Free Safety. Slightly related, lots of people are projecting Tyrann Mathieu as a nickle corner. I think he plays more effectively as a ball hawking FS in the Ed Reed mold. His football acumen is pretty high, and the dude can play all over a secondary. I would love to see him come in as a developmental safety behind a vet like Clemons or Reggie Wilson.
Wow, is this true?

"There's a belief that when it came to last year's draft, West Virginia OLB Bruce Irvin -- and not Illinois WR A.J. Jenkins -- was the player GM Trent Baalke coveted."

Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2013/02/get-defensive-draft-has-answers-for-49ers-flagging-front-four.html#storylink=cpy
Originally posted by NCommand:
Wow, is this true?

"There's a belief that when it came to last year's draft, West Virginia OLB Bruce Irvin -- and not Illinois WR A.J. Jenkins -- was the player GM Trent Baalke coveted."

Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2013/02/get-defensive-draft-has-answers-for-49ers-flagging-front-four.html#storylink=cpy

I remember hearing the same thing shortly after the draft. Would have loved to pick Irvin, but we never really had a shot at him. He went 15th overall. It's probably tough to sit in the back half of the first round and get the guy you covet without trading up. Sometimes it's for the best. In 2011, Baalke coveted Patrick Peterson and ended up with Aldon Smith. At least that one worked in our favor. I still have hopes for Jenkins, but man, it would have been awesome to have Irvin come in on passing downs.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
I remember hearing the same thing shortly after the draft. Would have loved to pick Irvin, but we never really had a shot at him. He went 15th overall. It's probably tough to sit in the back half of the first round and get the guy you covet without trading up. Sometimes it's for the best. In 2011, Baalke coveted Patrick Peterson and ended up with Aldon Smith. At least that one worked in our favor. I still have hopes for Jenkins, but man, it would have been awesome to have Irvin come in on passing downs.

Who would Irvin come in for?
WalterFootball has them taking safety Johnathan Cyprien in the first and a 6'8" DE/DT named Margus Hunt in the second. This makes sense to me because of what I think they're going to do about Russell Wilson. They're going to deal with Wilson the same way the NFL has always dealt with quick, short QB's going back to the way the Steelers dealt with Fran Tarkenton - take advantage of his 5'10" height by trying to contain him in the pocket with their outside pass rushers while crushing the pocket with larger, taller internal defensive linemen. Make Wilson have to look for lanes through which to throw because he can't see over his offensive line. This is the way all defenses will scheme for the Seahawks next year and I predict Wilson will have a horrible sophomore slump.

I hope your right, though I doubt it as the kid seems legit.
Originally posted by WINiner:

I hope your right, though I doubt it as the kid seems legit.

Oh, he's legit, but so was Fran Tarkenton and D- linemen weren't as big and tall bach then.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home