LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 262 users in the forums

2013 Salary Cap Outlook, plus can the 49ers add a big name via Trade (Webzone Exclusive)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
If go after Harvin, this will mean goodbye Ginn.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Thanks everyone, I think a 1st is fair for Harvin, he is a dynamic player, and will cost less than Revis would.

One can argue Revis would be more valuable as a player. Revis Island would allow the defense to apply more pressure with blitzes instead of trying to rely on a 4-man rush.

Revis or Bowe (maybe Harvin) would be the only guys I'd seriously consider b/c of what they do to help so many other positions. If you pick up Revis, you can let Rogers go...how much more would Revis cost over 7.3 million a year? Then you still have Brown/Culliver (Revis could make those two even better PLUS help out the S positions). You could get away with letting Whitner go (another 4.9 million) and start a true FS. One reasonably priced FA of this position could have a domino effects on your salary cap and overall defensive play from pass rush to the secondary. And let's not forget, this guy has a chip on his shoulder and something to prove AND wants to win a Championship. What better place than SF? We are now THAT team FA's want to play for...take less money. And we were 5 yards away from winning a Superbowl in just our second year. We were one Revis-type player (or Bowe - opposite of Crabtree and excellent RZ threat) or Harvin - versatility and ST home run threat) from making it a blowout in OUR favor.

We didn't have that Ed Reed (INT) or Jones (ST and deep threat killer) or Boldin/Pitta (big 3rd down plays + 2 TD's)

We almost worked Manning in last year. That's like 3 FA's! Imagine what they could do with one or two key FA's now. Factor in the fact that we like to lock guys up early (Bowman) and don;t be surprised to see some additional LT deals worked out during the season to keep our core intact.

The bottom line is we are in position to truly upgrade and if there is a player who can upgrade in play alone while having a positive domino effect across the board, you do it. Call it the Prime Time-Effect.

The reverse of this could be said as well...if we have cheaper guys in-house (ala Boone) who can upgrade, you do that. You just shouldn't close your mind as a GM to all options for winning this year AND building for the future; our FO is in position to do both right now!
Originally posted by robniner:
If go after Harvin, this will mean goodbye Ginn.

One trick pony, a WR on the roster should be able to actually contribute as a WR once in awhile.
We can score points. IMO we need a big run stuffing, block eating, nose tackle, or a shutdown corner.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
that was informative thank you
Originally posted by NCommand:
Revis or Bowe (maybe Harvin) would be the only guys I'd seriously consider b/c of what they do to help so many other positions. If you pick up Revis, you can let Rogers go...how much more would Revis cost over 7.3 million a year? Then you still have Brown/Culliver (Revis could make those two even better PLUS help out the S positions). You could get away with letting Whitner go (another 4.9 million) and start a true FS. One reasonably priced FA of this position could have a domino effects on your salary cap and overall defensive play from pass rush to the secondary. And let's not forget, this guy has a chip on his shoulder and something to prove AND wants to win a Championship. What better place than SF? We are now THAT team FA's want to play for...take less money. And we were 5 yards away from winning a Superbowl in just our second year. We were one Revis-type player (or Bowe - opposite of Crabtree and excellent RZ threat) or Harvin - versatility and ST home run threat) from making it a blowout in OUR favor.

We didn't have that Ed Reed (INT) or Jones (ST and deep threat killer) or Boldin/Pitta (big 3rd down plays + 2 TD's)

We almost worked Manning in last year. That's like 3 FA's! Imagine what they could do with one or two key FA's now. Factor in the fact that we like to lock guys up early (Bowman) and don;t be surprised to see some additional LT deals worked out during the season to keep our core intact.

The bottom line is we are in position to truly upgrade and if there is a player who can upgrade in play alone while having a positive domino effect across the board, you do it. Call it the Prime Time-Effect.

The reverse of this could be said as well...if we have cheaper guys in-house (ala Boone) who can upgrade, you do that. You just shouldn't close your mind as a GM to all options for winning this year AND building for the future; our FO is in position to do both right now!

Revis was looking for 14 million a year, if he has a healthy season and performs, you can be damn sure he'll be looking in that price range again.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
This x 10000. It's like people don't realize that this team will have to drop a ton of cash to keep the existing players they have, I don't see much if any room for an expensive outside free agent. Build through the draft with cheaper players, keep the core together and keep winning games, year in and year out.

The way I see it....Kaepernick-$16-18 million a year, Crabtree-$8-10 million a year, Aldon-$10-12 million a year, Iupati-$8-10 mil a year......that's a lot of dough that will have to be spent shortly.

True, but I think you are way overestimating the salaries that these guys will get when resigned. I could see maybe $12M for Kaep, $7M for Crab, $8M for Aldon, and no more than $5M for Iupati (he's a guard for f**ks sake).
Originally posted by blm7754:
True, but I think you are way overestimating the salaries that these guys will get when resigned. I could see maybe $12M for Kaep, $7M for Crab, $8M for Aldon, and no more than $5M for Iupati (he's a guard for f**ks sake).

Hi, I'm reality, have we met????

Joe "f'ng" Flacco is asking for $20 mil and will probably get $16 million. For 2015, QB's like Eli, Matt Stafford and Phillip Rivers will be earning $15 mil+ per season.

Crabtree won't settle for $7 million when lesser receivers such as Santonio Holmes are getting paid $8 or $9, as a bonafide #1 WR, he'll approach the $9-10 million dollar range.

Aldon Smith has about 35 sacks in 2 seasons, the going rate for a dominating edge pass rusher is $10 million+ a year. DeMarcus Ware will be earning $12 million+ over the next few years, so that's a good range for him.

Top NFL guards such as Iupati are raking in $6 to 7 million as a base salary currently.

Hi, I'm reality, have we met????

Joe "f'ng" Flacco is asking for $20 mil and will probably get $16 million. For 2015, QB's like Eli, Matt Stafford and Phillip Rivers will be earning $15 mil+ per season.

Crabtree won't settle for $7 million when lesser receivers such as Santonio Holmes are getting paid $8 or $9, as a bonafide #1 WR, he'll approach the $9-10 million dollar range.

Aldon Smith has about 35 sacks in 2 seasons, the going rate for a dominating edge pass rusher is $10 million+ a year. DeMarcus Ware will be earning $12 million+ over the next few years, so that's a good range for him.

Top NFL guards such as Iupati are raking in $6 to 7 million as a base salary currently.

Don't forget about Anthony Davis. If he keeps progressing we're looking at a 5-8 mil Tackle.
  • Silky
  • Veteran
I think Percy can be a 1,000yd receiver with Kaep throwing to him. There I said it. In fact, him and crabs can do it

We have a lot of solid-star level young guys like Crabs, Iupati, A Davis, Aldon, coming up for extensions in the next few years. I see no reason why Kaep would regress--the dude is a revelation--so he's gonna command a huge salary as well. As much as I'd like to go after a guy like Revis or Bowe or Harvin, I realize it's probably a bit unrealistic for our outlook/philosophy, as we like to build through the draft and sign our players to extensions. That has worked quite well the last 5 seasons or so, as we've found and extended gems like VD, Willis, Staley, Bowman, Brooks, etc. Making a big money/noise move for an FA seems further unlike under the HarbBalke regime, as our biggest contributing FA the past two years has probably been Rogers.

I'd like to see Goldson and Walker stay, then pair Goldson with a better SS option if possible. Alex and Akers are goners for sure. At this point I'd cut $hitner out of spite but I don't see that in the cards...he seems well-liked, a team leader, and probably has a higher football IQ than Goldson, although he absolutely sucks in coverage. I'd be somewhat interested in seeing what Cully in da (dog)House could do at his original FS position and move Goldson to SS. He seems to have problems turning his head and locating the ball when covering receivers, and that element would be removed if we were to become a FS.
Originally posted by SFrush:
Don't forget about Anthony Davis. If he keeps progressing we're looking at a 5-8 mil Tackle.

As I've said before, I have a feeling it may come down to deciding between Iupati and Davis...and if that is the case...I'm going with Iupati. A right tackle is much easier to replace.
I'll pass on harvin. I think he's a great player but there's too much going on with him (injuries,migraines,character) that scares me from giving him top dollar that we know he will want. I rather sign our own players and continue to use the "moneyball" method in FA.
As I've said before, I have a feeling it may come down to deciding between Iupati and Davis...and if that is the case...I'm going with Iupati. A right tackle is much easier to replace.

Guard is usually easier to replace. But I see your point as Iupati is an All Pro at his position.
No love for Goodwin here. I hope the team keeps him.
Share 49ersWebzone