There are 176 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 Salary Cap Outlook, plus can the 49ers add a big name via Trade (Webzone Exclusive)

Originally posted by NCommand:
Awesome article AB!

I would imagine we are going to see some veterans dropped like we're seeing across the NFL as we speak. Here are a few who "could be" seriously considered. We have 14 draft picks, many players coming back from I.R., we're now a team FA's want to play for (offense/defense/new stadium/Superbowl) and will take less to do so, have players we've been developing for one full years, two full years, etc. We are now in position to UPGRADE over current starters:

CB Carlos Rogers - $7,344,531 - 1/2 assed it all year IMHO and clearly has lost a step and motivation
C Jonathan Goodwin - $5,016,667 - played well in the Q offense but is a youngster ready to go?
WR Mario Manningham - $4.95 million - no guarantee this guy will ever be the same and he only signed a 2-year deal anyhow
SS Donte Whitner - $4,933,333 - need money for Goldson and need a pure FS badly
OLB Parys Haralson - $2.87 million - one-trick pony that could be replaced by a younger OLB of either Cam Johnson or Darius Fleming with a full mental season under their belts (and may be less of an issue if we get that stud RDE/healthy Justin Smith)
WR Kyle Williams - $649,850 - again, great weapon but who knows if he'll ever be back up to 100% (although this kid has heart/motivation but still could be a cap/# casualty)
NT Ian Williams - $555,000 - ?
OLB Darius Fleming - $521,000 - ?
OLB Cam Johnson - $405,000 - ?

The guy I really want is Dwayne Bowe. Would he command way more than Harvin IYHO?

I am all for releasing Whitner and Rogers, but we need to have a solid plan to replace them.

Bowe might be a $10M a yr WR, similar to Vincent Jackson a year ago.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Awesome article AB!

I would imagine we are going to see some veterans dropped like we're seeing across the NFL as we speak. Here are a few who "could be" seriously considered. We have 14 draft picks, many players coming back from I.R., we're now a team FA's want to play for (offense/defense/new stadium/Superbowl) and will take less to do so, have players we've been developing for one full years, two full years, etc. We are now in position to UPGRADE over current starters:

CB Carlos Rogers - $7,344,531 - 1/2 assed it all year IMHO and clearly has lost a step and motivation
C Jonathan Goodwin - $5,016,667 - played well in the Q offense but is a youngster ready to go?
WR Mario Manningham - $4.95 million - no guarantee this guy will ever be the same and he only signed a 2-year deal anyhow
OLB Parys Haralson - $2.87 million - one-trick pony that could be replaced by a younger OLB of either Cam Johnson or Darius Fleming with a full mental season under their belts (and may be less of an issue if we get that stud RDE/healthy Justin Smith)
WR Kyle Williams - $649,850 - again, great weapon but who knows if he'll ever be back up to 100% (although this kid has heart/motivation but still could be a cap/# casualty)

The guy I really want is Dwayne Bowe. Would he command way more than Harvin IYHO?

I am all for releasing Whitner and Rogers, but we need to have a solid plan to replace them.

Thank you! I certainly don't see both but most likely Whitner than Rogers. We have Robinson and FA dn 14 draft picks to look for a pure FS. How about some of the others such as Manningham and Goodwin. That's 10-million right there alone.
Awesome article AB!

Thank you! I certainly don't see both but most likely Whitner than Rogers. We have Robinson and FA dn 14 draft picks to look for a pure FS. How about some of the others such as Manningham and Goodwin. That's 10-million right there alone.

No problem. I do agree, 1 or the other. Likely Whitner.

Manningham will likely get time to recover, if not than he will be cut with an injury settlement.

Goodwin I can see cut, we need to find the future Center, and I hope Looney and Kilgore can be that, whoever it is I am fine with it.
Ian Rappaport from the NFL network spoke to 2 NFL executives and they said the Vikings can expect no more than a 3rd round pick for Harvin. Harvins injury history and contract demands drive the price down.
No problem. I do agree, 1 or the other. Likely Whitner.

Manningham will likely get time to recover, if not than he will be cut with an injury settlement.

Goodwin I can see cut, we need to find the future Center, and I hope Looney and Kilgore can be that, whoever it is I am fine with it.

I love Manningham but realize that he isn't even targeted to make it back until the very end of training camp (his final year) and that was a nasty knee injury.

Time for the youngsters, ala Boone, to step up and steal the show!
In that list I see about 40 milion in potential savings, mostly replaced by rookies or guys already on the roster

I doubt we would go after Revis or any other high priced FA, but we could and without much difficulty imo.
[ Edited by WINiner on Feb 12, 2013 at 6:06 PM ]
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:
Ian Rappaport from the NFL network spoke to 2 NFL executives and they said the Vikings can expect no more than a 3rd round pick for Harvin. Harvins injury history and contract demands drive the price down.

Interesting. Then that makes the point moot I guess. Still can see them demanding more, maybe they dont get it. I would give up 31st for Harvin, if he signs long term deal.

That makes more sense, which means they'll take a 4th or 5th. That said, he's used pretty uniquely FOR the Vikings offense. Could anyone see us using him here in the same manner? I mean, we have/had small burners like him in Manningham, Jenkins and Williams and just never lined them up in the backfield, deep, etc.
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 12, 2013 at 6:09 PM ]

That makes more sense, which means they'll take a 4th or 5th. That said, he's used pretty uniquely FOR the Vikings offense. Could anyone see us using him here in the same manner? I mean, we have/had small burners like him in Manningham, Jenkins and Williams and just never lined them up in the backfield, deep, etc.

Honestly, I would rather stay put, and not go after big names. We have a solid roster, and just need to keep that core together, have to worry about Iupati, A.Davis, Crabtree, Goldson, Kap, Aldon, etc....

Honestly, I would rather stay put, and not go after big names. We have a solid roster, and just need to keep that core together, have to worry about Iupati, A.Davis, Crabtree, Goldson, Kap, Aldon, etc....
agreed.

This x 10000. It's like people don't realize that this team will have to drop a ton of cash to keep the existing players they have, I don't see much if any room for an expensive outside free agent. Build through the draft with cheaper players, keep the core together and keep winning games, year in and year out.

The way I see it....Kaepernick-$16-18 million a year, Crabtree-$8-10 million a year, Aldon-$10-12 million a year, Iupati-$8-10 mil a year......that's a lot of dough that will have to be spent shortly.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 12, 2013 at 6:31 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

This x 10000. It's like people don't realize that this team will have to drop a ton of cash to keep the existing players they have, I don't see much if any room for an expensive outside free agent. Build through the draft with cheaper players, keep the core together and keep winning games, year in and year out.

The way I see it....Kaepernick-$16-18 million a year, Crabtree-$8-10 million a year, Aldon-$10-12 million a year, Iupati-$8-10 mil a year......that's a lot of dough that will have to be spent shortly.
This! Focus on keeping the good core players and build and develop through the draft. The consistently good teams do this.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

I said it in another thread. It's scary how much talent we have due extensions soon.
Thanks everyone, I think a 1st is fair for Harvin, he is a dynamic player, and will cost less than Revis would.

One can argue Revis would be more valuable as a player. Revis Island would allow the defense to apply more pressure with blitzes instead of trying to rely on a 4-man rush.
Dump Alex & Akers & Goodwin, that'll save 15 mill and then make Carlos take a paycut or highway