There are 66 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

1st Down Offensive Production (4+ Yards)

Originally posted by Beeker:
Excellent thread, NC. I agree with that vast majority of your posts, and only wish to expound somewhat on them. With a full off season for CK to prep as the starter, he will get a LOT more comfortable with leading the team. The chemistry is already developing (see: receivers going to ATL to work with him) and the playbook will be molded to his strengths. I have no doubt that this being his first year as the #1, and the coaching staff going in to their 3rd year, the 1st down/3rd down efficiency will improve, probably to what they were at the start of this season. That 4-6 yds on 1st down is tremendous. 2nd and short/3rd and short leaves the playbook wide open. This is also just a W.A.G., but I believe we won't see the Q formation as much as people think next year. Yes, it allows the majority of our playbook to be used, but, I also feel the league will be looking for that formation. CK has shown he can play out of pretty much any formation and be successful, and I'm fairly certain the coaching staff is smart enough to know that.

FWIW IMHO TIFWII

Thanks Beeker!

As to your point re: seeing less Q next year. I think we'll most likely see more Q formations and a lot more personnel packages in it (guys such as VD or Jenkins lining up back there along side CK and Gore/James/Hunter) BUT I think we'll see more runs out of it and schemed passes to the aforementioned out of it. I don't see many read-options out of it unless it's a clear game plan (ala Green Bay playoff game). It should be interesting though!!!
Originally posted by NCommand:
Thanks Beeker!

As to your point re: seeing less Q next year. I think we'll most likely see more Q formations and a lot more personnel packages in it (guys such as VD or Jenkins lining up back there along side CK and Gore/James/Hunter) BUT I think we'll see more runs out of it and schemed passes to the aforementioned out of it. I don't see many read-options out of it unless it's a clear game plan (ala Green Bay playoff game). It should be interesting though!!!

I can see them lining up in the Q, then breaking out of it depending on the D-read. I can also see a lot of screens (please please please) and slants (please please PRETTY please) being run out of the Q as well.
This has to do with the playcalling and injuries to key positions more than anything, IMO.
Thanks Beeker!

I can see them lining up in the Q, then breaking out of it depending on the D-read. I can also see a lot of screens (please please please) and slants (please please PRETTY please) being run out of the Q as well.

LOL. Yeah, some traditional WCO plays would be nice and finding a way to get guys such as Hunter/James on the perimeter. What a concept, eh?
Thanks Beeker!

LOL. Yeah, some traditional WCO plays would be nice and finding a way to get guys such as Hunter/James on the perimeter. What a concept, eh?

Whoda thunk it?
Originally posted by InHarbsWeTrust:
This has to do with the playcalling and injuries to key positions more than anything, IMO.

Agreed...think this may have affected the running game (and explosive plays) as well when Hunter went down.
When we got LMJ with our 2nd pick, I thot, wow, he is going to be used as Reggie Bush, ie, a situational player, early on. I don't think he compares to hunter or frank running between tackles, tho he did ok this yr. His real use should be set wide of Kap, and after 2 or 3 reads not open, sling it to LMJ. He is hardest to bring down in open space, tho he did run between tackles at Oregon...granted those were much smaller tackles. His use as the bailout guy seems to me to be a no brainer. Yet I was wrong, as Coach H never once used him that way. With frank and hunter, that is how I hope LMJ is used...situational, bailout. He is hell on wheels in open space against a 1on 1 LB. He should be untouchable in that scenario, at least for 15-20 yds. By doing that it should uncover either Crbs or vernon, maybe another WR, some of whom get doubled.