There are 96 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What advice would you give to any 49ers for 2013 Season?

I know this may be presumptuous, but I would advise Jim Harbaugh to try to calm down a little bit on the sidelines. I agree with Lowell Cohen on this - Harbaugh is very tightly wound and the team sometimes plays that way. And, his constant yelling at the refs simply cannot be helping with respect to getting calls. I don't know that it's hurting, but it can't be helping. They're human. And, being overly emotional on the sideline may be preventing Harbaugh from noticing details during the game. He may have stopped some of those last plays during the Super Bowl, and called a time out to get the team ready for a different approach. He may have noticed that wrong formation at the beginning. I don't know, but calming down on the sideline a little could help.
Since JH took some time to relax and play some golf at Pebble, the most pressing question I have is.....

How does he hold a golf club with that screwed up pinky of his?
Originally posted by GNielsen:
I know this may be presumptuous, but I would advise Jim Harbaugh to try to calm down a little bit on the sidelines. I agree with Lowell Cohen on this - Harbaugh is very tightly wound and the team sometimes plays that way. And, his constant yelling at the refs simply cannot be helping with respect to getting calls. I don't know that it's hurting, but it can't be helping. They're human. And, being overly emotional on the sideline may be preventing Harbaugh from noticing details during the game. He may have stopped some of those last plays during the Super Bowl, and called a time out to get the team ready for a different approach. He may have noticed that wrong formation at the beginning. I don't know, but calming down on the sideline a little could help.

Agree and really getting tired of his antics. There is a fine line between gaining the respect of the ref and making an enemy of a ref. If JH is not on the rules committee he needs to get on it soon. I believe there are HCs on it and that seems to impress refs.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by GNielsen:

Agree and really getting tired of his antics. There is a fine line between gaining the respect of the ref and making an enemy of a ref. If JH is not on the rules committee he needs to get on it soon. I believe there are HCs on it and that seems to impress refs.
agree his theatrics are getting tiresome and will get really old if he starts to lose games. if he would spend half of much energy trying to get plays in on time to ck that he does screaming and ranting,, our offense may be the better for it. god forbid we are critical of Jh
As much as I love having JH as HC, my favorite coaches are always the John Wooden types--they have their teams so well prepared that they don't have to raise their voices (a paraphrase from Wooden). The Bobby Knights of the world are just bullies. JH is not a bully but more a tantruming kid. Hope he can overcome this and become my ideal of a coach...doubt he cares, but maybe!
Advice: Pay the zebras more then the other team did
advice for Harbaugh. Send every ref in the league a gift and an apology for being such a douche on the sidelines. Maybe then they wont rob us in the superbowl.
Hey, please don't take my suggestions as anything other than a minor issue I have with him. I think he's a brilliant coach. In fact, even though I really, really liked Seifert and Mariucci, I think Harbaugh is the most competent head coach the Niners have had since Bill Walsh. The team plays real hard for Harbaugh. Harbaugh knows how to take advantage of his opponents' weaknesses. Harbaugh is an absolute witch when it comes to quarterbacks. I really can't think of anyone who could have done better in the last two years. I'm just saying that calming down may help. And, I firmly believe he will calm down. A big thing of his is self-evaluation and getting better every day. I can't believe he'll go through an entire off season without considering these parts of his personality and demeanor.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Advice: Pay the zebras more then the other team did

Might work!
  • ace52
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
ace52--I don't see JH as an easy guy on his players. He has been tough and even cut guys (Jacobs being the most obvious) when they didn't stick to the company line. It seems he let the players police themselves a bit more this year and that caused some silly stuff. Moss telling VD to clean up his act was an example of this player leadership, Crabtree's performance seemed to be helped by Moss' tutelage, and J Smith leads by example, as does Willis.

What they need are leaders in the defensive backfield, and offensive line. The line is much better but they still need a definate leader, and Staley is not that guy--he's more of a jokester. A Davis is still immature, Iupati is a quiet guy, Goodwin is still the new kid on the block--though he may be the leader now. The guy I'm watching is Boone. He is too new a starter to demand respect, but he may be moving up the ladder quickly to become the leader.

DBs are leaderless. Goldson has the game to be a leader but he makes too many immature mistakes...late hits when it just isn't necessary. The DBs impress me with their intelligence but they seem to be easy going and are not leaders. I would love to see a guy like Ronnie Lott...sort of a Goldson with leadership qualities.

I think there are 2 things that a player can do that will guarantee to put him in JH's doghouse:
1. Say negative things about the team to the media
2. Don't give 100% effort on the field
If a player does one, or God forbid both, of those things, he is very likely to feel JH's wrath, and may even get cut. However, if a player is not committing those cardinal sins, but is making mental mistakes during his play, then I think, as you said, Jim is letting the players work these issues out among themselves more than coming down hard on the individual player himself. This model will work if there are strong leaders on the team. Willis seems to be that type of player, but the team needs more of them as you pointed out. Otherwise, the HC needs to take a firmer rein of the situation to make sure silly mistakes are not repeated.
Start fast. The trend of falling behind early in every playoff game won't cut it.
[ Edited by SFrush on Feb 11, 2013 at 11:38 AM ]
work redzone offense till the point CKs eyes bleed.

This offense has ELITE redzone players.

CK is the weak link right now in the redzone.
To the Offense, next time you play Cary Williams, hit that b***h in the mouth hard and often.
Originally posted by Dshearn:
work redzone offense till the point CKs eyes bleed.

This offense has ELITE redzone players.

CK is the weak link right now in the redzone.

What redzone players? I can only think of VD. And that's still rarely.

Gore has a nose for the endzone... but that's when we actually run the ball inside the redzone.
my advice to the whole team would be talk s**t after touchdowns not first downs