There are 57 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Hunter/LMJ/Gore Combo

I think the bigger question is when gore retires is our offense going to be able to thrive without a bruiser for a running back. Hunter's game is more speed than power and I wonder if we are going to move away from the power running game over time. We certainly have the personnel to run a more traditional style of the west coast offense that features more of a pass catching back and less of a between the tackles running attack. Harbaugh's willingness to coach to his players strengths will result in that switch in offensive philosophy. The only question I have is how long are we going to wait.
Originally posted by AZ9erfan520:
I think the bigger question is when gore retires is our offense going to be able to thrive without a bruiser for a running back. Hunter's game is more speed than power and I wonder if we are going to move away from the power running game over time. We certainly have the personnel to run a more traditional style of the west coast offense that features more of a pass catching back and less of a between the tackles running attack. Harbaugh's willingness to coach to his players strengths will result in that switch in offensive philosophy. The only question I have is how long are we going to wait.

I disagree, Hunter is a shifty back but he has a lot of power and runs with great balance. Not as powerful as Gore, obviously... he's definitely not fast.
Originally posted by DontSitOnTheHood:
I disagree, Hunter is a shifty back but he has a lot of power and runs with great balance. Not as powerful as Gore, obviously... he's definitely not fast.
Either way we won't know how his injury effects his skill set until he comes back. Is he even going to be ready for training camp?
Either way we won't know how his injury effects his skill set until he comes back. Is he even going to be ready for training camp?

I have the same questions... I was merely responding to his running style. I hope he'll be able to return to 100%. I think he's outstanding.

We suck on short yardage anyway. The bruising part of a running game comes more from the OL than it does from the RB.
We need to use LMJ on screens more.
scary having all 3 guys, and hunter is better than lmj, he sees a hole and he is full speed ahead. not saying lmj sucks, he is good but i think hunter is better. id like to see some packages having 2 of them out there, imagine if defenses have to worry about gore hunter and kaep on the field at once.
i think gore has about 2 good years left in him, we need to win the SB now

From what I have read, it is usually an 11 month recovery for a full tear. Suggs had a partial tear and was back in 5 months. Someone else (Crabman i believe) referenced Mikel Leshoure, and he tore his before the 2011 season and it took him about a year to rehab and he came back for this last year and played pretty well. I guess it depends on the severity of his tear. I have googled Hunter and his injury and have seen nothing new other than the inital articles that referenced an achilles tear.

I agree, Hunter will be fine. He's a beast! Dont count Jewel Hampton out. I hope to see him get some carries
In a different thread, it was brought up to put LMJ possibly in the Slot Receiver position?? Sounds Brilliant to me, that way, we don't have to bring in
a Percy Harvin type player...
Actually, it depends on how the roster works out next season... I don't know if we'll be able to play three, four runningbacks in a game:
We'll have Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter, LaMichael James, and Anthony Dixon (or another short-yardage back).
Kendall Hunter and LaMichael James carry somewhat similar roles, with Hunter having similar abilities to both Gore & James.

Another thing it really depends on is how Frank Gore looks next season. I have no doubt in my mind that he's still capable of putting together a 1000 yard season, but I see the team limiting his carries even more this year. This is a Super Bowl contending team, and they're going to keep Gore fresh for the playoffs.

And then there's the question of how Kendall Hunter responds to his injury. I feel he'll come back strong, but who knows... he might not come back well to his injury... and you never know if the 49ers bring in *ANOTHER* back.

Overall, I think we have great depth. I have great confidence that we'll be among the top 3 rushing teams in the league next year... this thread is more of a discussion about who's going to get carries next year.
Originally posted by Joecool:
We suck on short yardage anyway. The bruising part of a running game comes more from the OL than it does from the RB.

In the past couple years, I'd agree, but Anthony Dixon has been pretty good in short-yardage this past season. Working to beat out Brandon Jacobs, having fresh legs, and having a very limited/defined role, seemed to have a very good effect on Anthony Dixon.
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
scary having all 3 guys, and hunter is better than lmj, he sees a hole and he is full speed ahead. not saying lmj sucks, he is good but i think hunter is better. id like to see some packages having 2 of them out there, imagine if defenses have to worry about gore hunter and kaep on the field at once.

It's nice that some still remember how good Kendall Hunter is.
Eric Branch ‏@Eric_Branch

Kendall Hunter (Achilles) is running & recovery ahead of schedule, per source close to #49ers RB. Will be ready for start of training camp

The dude is nails and I think we missed his dimension late last year more than it seems . . . if that makes sense. I hope he recovers his burst.