LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 255 users in the forums

Hunter/LMJ/Gore Combo

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Don't think I have started a thread for a looong time. I'm just excited that we may have the most explosive offense in the league next year. Gore is great but I have feeling this system will be deadly with Hunter/LMJ combo.

Combine that with Kaep and I'm getting excited.

Any thoughts on how the carries will be shared or who fits within the offense the best?
  • mod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:
Don't think I have started a thread for a looong time. I'm just excited that we may have the most explosive offense in the league next year. Gore is great but I have feeling this system will be deadly with Hunter/LMJ combo.

Any thoughts on how the carries will be shared or who fits within the offense the best?

I think Hunter is better than LMJ... he's more patient, I think he'll do better in the pistol
Originally posted by modninerfan:
Originally posted by Joecool:

I think Hunter is better than LMJ... he's more patient, I think he'll do better in the pistol

With these two guys, I hope we see a lot of RB Circles after Vernon or Crabs clears out the ILB. Not sure why we didn't do that vs BAL.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
LMJ filled in very nicely for Hunter, but Hunter is definitely top dog between those two.
Could see Hunter taking carries from Gire to keep them both fresher for late season/playoffs. LMJ coming in to provide a change of pace, maybe we learn how to run screens to him? Possibly using LMJ how Balt used Rice in the SB, shifting him out to the slot.....
I really wish they used them more often. Screens, dump-offs (ironic, I know), circles, etc to get these speedy, shifty guys in space. I felt they didn't really utilize them other than on the ground.
I think LMJ will be our official 3rd down back. Can easily see him being used similar to Sproles.
Having them back is one thing, another is a full off-season of practice to come with it. Running game should be super explosive next season.

Frank's getting up there, but I know his heart won't quit and he'll get LMJ and Hunter to feed off of him.
And yeah combine that with Kaep?

What, like 200 days left?

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu....
I'm sorta curious how well Gore will play next season. I gotta feeling his age will start 2 show more.

But if it does Gore still will be good very usable back. He's been a top 5 back almost his entire career.
  • thl408
When Hunter went down, I thought the running game would suffer a huge setback, but LMJ filled in nicely. Then LMJ fumbles in the SB. Would Hunter have fumbled? Argh!!

This combo is going to work wonders next year. Hunter is just as quick, but is much harder to tackle than LMJ.

Originally posted by thl408:
When Hunter went down, I thought the running game would suffer a huge setback, but LMJ filled in nicely. Then LMJ fumbles in the SB. Would Hunter have fumbled? Argh!!

This combo is going to work wonders next year. Hunter is just as quick, but is much harder to tackle than LMJ.

Can't play the shoulda-woulda-coulda game, man! It's over.

I think Hunter has much more straight line quickness through the hole but LMJ has got some crazy quick lateral speed and jukes. And overall speed I'm sure LMJ is faster. Verrrry interesting combo in the future. Very exciting with Kaep before them.
[ Edited by chico49erfan on Feb 7, 2013 at 3:18 PM ]
Originally posted by chico49erfan:

Can't play the shoulda-woulda-coulda game, man! It's over.

I think Hunter has much more straight line quickness through the hole but LMJ has got some crazy quick lateral speed and jukes. And overall speed I'm sure LMJ is faster. Verrrry interesting combo in the future. Very exciting with Kaep before them.

Imagine LMJ and KH in the Diamond. Think of the possibilities in the read option....DC's are going to have nightmares figuring out how to control those two and Kap.

No way. Hunter never fumbles...seriously, he doesn't. That said, I'm very excited to get Hunter back. He and Manningham were ENORMOUS loses. At least when Hunter went down we had LMJ who now has a lot of experience including the Superbowl. When Manningham and Williams went down Jenkins got a ton of experience and will be even better next year. Oh wait. Um.

Anyhow, Hunter is just so explosive off the edge AND he has a little Gore in him where he always seems to get an extra yard or two. Plus he's extremely patient AND can run inside as well...and with power. Now that both Frank/LMJ have adjusted their games to the Q offense, with a healthy (praying) Hunter back in the mix and a whole off season to develop the timing of running out of the Q, this should be a very exciting trio next year WITH CK back there as well.
I think Gore is still the top dog...but I think we're gonna save him as much as we possibly can. Maybe right around 200 carries.

I feel like Hunter and LMJ are kinda redundant, but you can never have enough good backs.

...still can't believe Gore ran for 110 and a TD and we lost...
Originally posted by NCommand:

No way. Hunter never fumbles...seriously, he doesn't. That said, I'm very excited to get Hunter back. He and Manningham were ENORMOUS loses. At least when Hunter went down we had LMJ who now has a lot of experience including the Superbowl. When Manningham and Williams went down Jenkins got a ton of experience and will be even better next year. Oh wait. Um.

Anyhow, Hunter is just so explosive off the edge AND he has a little Gore in him where he always seems to get an extra yard or two. Plus he's extremely patient AND can run inside as well...and with power. Now that both Frank/LMJ have adjusted their games to the Q offense, with a healthy (praying) Hunter back in the mix and a whole off season to develop the timing of running out of the Q, this should be a very exciting trio next year WITH CK back there as well.

I have a feeling LMJ will break out next year since he is the most comfortable out of the read option AND is the faster back. He is 5'9 whereas Kendall is 5'7.

I think Gore is going to be phased out slowly beginning with the 2013 season. He rushed for 1214 but man there were plays in there that Hunter or James takes to the house.

Hunter will really need to get used to the read option. Frank never really got used to the read option until we starting running with Kaepernick more in the playoffs.
[ Edited by Joecool on Feb 7, 2013 at 4:01 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone