There are 124 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Resign Isaac Sopoaga???

Resign Isaac Sopoaga???

NT is a hard position to judge. Soap is definitely not the game-wrecker that Wilfork or Ngata can be, but those guys are rare. He can't disrupt the pocket or make plays down the line, but he does eat up two blockers and funnels the action to our All-Pro ILB duo. That's his primary responsibility, and he does it well enough. My main issue with him is his salary and age. It's just about time to look for an upgrade.

If we want a massive, athletic NT that will collapse the pocket, penetrate into the backfield, and stuff the run all at the same time than by all means, draft one in the 1st round. In the mean time Soap has done a fine job. We've been top 3 against the run with him as a starter so something must be going right, even if his only responsibility is to allow Willis and Bowman to make the play.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Feb 11, 2013 at 4:54 PM ]
If the price is right...

No point in paying full time starter money to a guy that will only play 30-40 percent of the snaps... i'd rather have RJF in their during passing downs and Sopoaga in there on running downs.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
NT is a hard position to judge. Soap is definitely not the game-wrecker that Wilfork or Ngata can be, but those guys are rare. He can't disrupt the pocket or make plays down the line, but he does eat up two blockers and funnels the action to our All-Pro ILB duo. That's his primary responsibility, and he does it well enough. My main issue with him is his salary and age. It's just about time to look for an upgrade.

If we want a massive, athletic NT that will collapse the pocket, penetrate into the backfield, and stuff the run all at the same time than by all means, draft one in the 1st round. In the mean time Soap has done a fine job. We've been top 3 against the run with him as a starter so something must be going right, even if his only responsibility is to allow Willis and Bowman to make the play.
I'm not seeing this eating up blockers stuff. Not often at least. If that were the case, then that means Ray McDonald is clearly the weak link because he would have to be going one on one with offensive lineman. I don't see his age being as much of an issue as people think it is. This isn't running back or a receiver that relies on speed. At certain positions, guys fall off when they hit 30. Nose tackle is not one of them.
I really like him but I think he's expendable because he doesn't play that much. We need a few d-linemen in this draft.
He'll be one of those guys Trent loves to low ball.. 3yrs 6M or see ya.
I'll leave this to the F/O.

I like em but he doesn't make many plays. i know that isn't his job but there are nose tackles who are better out there.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Disp:
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/02/11/2013-team-needs-san-francisco-49ers/

"Unfortunately, in those limited snaps Sopoaga's play earned him a -12.0 overall grade, landing him 82nd on our list of 85 interior defensive linemen. Sopoaga was non-existent rushing the passer, generating only three QB disruptions in 129 rushes. He wasn't much better against the run, as his -7.4 grade ranked 77th out of 85 tackles, and he tallied a mediocre 6.4 Run Stop Percentage."

Basically ProfootballFocus is saying he worse than basically every team's 2'nd string NT. That's crazy with how much talent is around him. Again, you would think his numbers would be artificially inflated because of how good Justin, Aldon, and McDonald are and how much pressure they take off of him.

That is frickin ridiculous!!! How they are rating a NT, hes a NT, not a 4-3 penetrating DT, Sopoaga's assignment isn't to rush the passer, Aldon Smith's is. I'd love to know what these ridiculous grades are, how do you get a -7.4 grade, seems more like an opinion than an out-right grade IMO. I mean what did he do miss tackles, fail to disengage from a block....well how many times was that, or was it that hes bad in pass-defense. I mean how the heck are they getting these grades, don't tell me show me!!
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SofaKing:

Exactly!!

NT maybe a need in the off-season, but its not a top priority IMO, people forget how our secondary was torched in the NFC Championship and Super Bowl.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Exactly!!

NT maybe a need in the off-season, but its not a top priority IMO, people forget how our secondary was torched in the NFC Championship and Super Bowl.

Are you on the cut Carlos Rogers/Donte Whitner, and let Dashon Goldson walk bandwagon?
I forgot to add moving Chris Culliver to safety.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by almondJoy:
Soap is a strong and dependable player, not a super star. Honestly most players are not super stars he does his job without the fanfare and spotlight. IMO we need to resign him.

Dependably mediocre.

Seriously, what is it with this place when it comes to calling a spade, a spade? He's just not a very good NT, he belongs as a backup DE.

To be sure he is not a bright and shining star, however, in my opinion he is dependable. People see things differently and that's cool. Different ideas, various views and opposite opinions, stenthen the growth to the truth. And I appreciate your views.
Part of judging a NT is judging the MLBs who play behind him. Willis and Bowman are all world, I don't think they would be if Sopoaga was a "bad" NT. Would it be great to get a NT in the draft who could collapse the pocket every play? Sure, but how likely is that? To release a guy because we might get a guy who is better...bad planning unless the coach really sees a replacement on the team--Williams, RJF...
we need to sign some who is "proven" to be a legit 3-4 NT. if not Soap then maybe another veteran, then draft a future NT to groom.

I'm kind of iffy making RFJ a NT full time. He had trouble beating his man as a 3-4 DE one on one most of the time, having RFJ trying to take on 2 linemen seems too much to ask of RFJ.
There was some weirdness in the PFF stats. Did anyone look to see if there was a correlation between recent low round draft choice and the top 5 or 6 NT rated in the PFF survey? They all played for horrible teams. So, the theory was that maybe the teams spent recent 1st/2nd rounders on NT's and so they are all stocked up on performers who have not been ground to a pulp yet. Otherwise, there seemed to be something in the stat compilation that favored NT's playing on bad defenses than those NT's playing on better teams.
NO, next question...