There are 90 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Resign Isaac Sopoaga???

Resign Isaac Sopoaga???

I don't think Soap will be asking for a big contract so the Niners should definitely try to work something out. Soap is not the best but he does a good job.
Originally posted by Loco49er:
I don't think Soap will be asking for a big contract so the Niners should definitely try to work something out. Soap is not the best but he does a good job.

Agree but they can't keep everyone. If they feel they can find a good young replacement in the draft I would let him look elsewhere unless he come real cheap.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
You have been watching 9er games correct?? How can you not see Sopoaga draw double teams at times?? And some here has said Sopoaga is more than just bad, but that's their opinion, a correct one, IMO I don't think so but to each his own. And Aldon Smith has been one on one at times, again how do you not notice these things.

The keyword is often. Has it happened with Soap? I've seen it before. But I also saw Kevan Barlow break off long runs from time to time as well. Now let's do the math here. Justin Smith is known to tie up multiple blockers, and it certainly happens more often than those long runs that Kevan Barlow was known to break off . Now you are claiming that Soap draws double teams at times as well, ok. So that leaves one offensive lineman to block Ray McDonald. So who's Aldon Smith one on one with? A running back? A tight tend? Or maybe teams have gone to a permanent 6 man line against us. Maybe I didn't notice this. Because if Aldon Smith was being blocked by A running back or tight end at times (since Soap is drawing these double teams for two lineman at times), i think it's safe to say he should've broke the sack record around week 10. What did I miss?

Let me also add that again, I'm not saying Soap is bad. I just don't want him as the starter.

You missed at times Aldon Smith has been beaten by a TE or a RB and has been chipped by a TE or RB too. But by your thinking, you think Ray Mac or Aldon are suppose to beat a RB, TE, one-on-one every single time....not true at all or is it realistic.

Also I'm not saying your saying Sopoaga is bad or not, its your opinion anyway. And its not like Sopoaga will command a big contract, I'm pretty sure he knows his road is coming to an end. Either way we will draft a NT or bring in someone via Free Agency, don't know what some are crying about.
You missed at times Aldon Smith has been beaten by a TE or a RB and has been chipped by a TE or RB too. But by your thinking, you think Ray Mac or Aldon are suppose to beat a RB, TE, one-on-one every single time....not true at all or is it realistic.

Also I'm not saying your saying Sopoaga is bad or not, its your opinion anyway. And its not like Sopoaga will command a big contract, I'm pretty sure he knows his road is coming to an end. Either way we will draft a NT or bring in someone via Free Agency, don't know what some are crying about.
It happens, but my example was to point out that in the many matchups that take place over the course of a game, everyone wins a couple every now and again. Good players win their fair share and great players win the majority of them. Which category do you think Soap falls in?
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

It happens, but my example was to point out that in the many matchups that take place over the course of a game, everyone wins a couple every now and again. Good players win their fair share and great players win the majority of them. Which category do you think Soap falls in?

Good or great is not the word I would use for Sopoaga, I'd say Sopoaga is serviceable. Meaning, he has the tools to fill the position until our 1st or 2nd round pick is up to speed to take over.
According to this link, it says Sopoaga's odds of staying will be determined if Jean Francois leaves or not.
Good or great is not the word I would use for Sopoaga, I'd say Sopoaga is serviceable. Meaning, he has the tools to fill the position until our 1st or 2nd round pick is up to speed to take over.

Exactly. He's ok and very replaceable.
He played 20% of defensive snaps, combined with his age makes he think he will not have a lot of teams interested. For the right price, I would resign (1-2 yrs) him only for rotational purposes and draft his replacement.
Of course we resign him. But we also address the NT position with one of our 1st 2 picks in the draft.

Exactly. He's ok and very replaceable.

Very replaceable--could describe every player on the team. Willis is one of the best players in the NFL and until Bowman came along I couldn't imagine having two of him. Now we do.

When I look at lists of FA NTs I do not see anyone better than Sop who will likely sign with the niners...and rookies are not a safe bet. Then there is the continuity issue--do you allow both RJF and Sop to leave? Both are easy to replace but how does that impact the lines chemistry?

It would be interesting to try and list the players from most to least replaceable--I would put Sop somewhere low middle of that list--but they just went to the super bowl so it's not a bad group of athletes...just very replaceable...and within ten or so years they will all be replaced.
What a ridiculous take. If you could describe almost every member of the team as "replaceable", they wouldn't have gone deep in the playoffs two years in a row.
RickyJ and a early pick >>> Soap
Originally posted by GNielsen:
What a ridiculous take. If you could describe almost every member of the team as "replaceable", they wouldn't have gone deep in the playoffs two years in a row.

My point is/has been that before you say someone is expendable you should have a clear replacement in mind. Sopoaga is not an all-pro but he has been a solid NT. RJF has not moved him out, nor Williams, so I assume they are not as good as Sop. A rookie is not likely to be as good either. Many posters are saying cut Sopoaga but are not offering an alternative that is viable--basically saying "draft anyone in the first or second and round and they will be as good." That is a ridiculous take!

Originally posted by Frisco69ers:

This could be true, but we will have to see if Harbaugh believes this is the answer in the next month or two.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Feb 15, 2013 at 2:57 PM ]

what makes you say that?

from what i was seeing RJF wasn't getting any pressure while playing DE when Justin Smith was hurt.
Originally posted by ginseng1000:

what makes you say that?

from what i was seeing RJF wasn't getting any pressure while playing DE when Justin Smith was hurt.

RickyJ is a beast for a backup, the man might not be a great pass rusher, but he fills gaps well and is cheaper