LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 227 users in the forums

Resign Isaac Sopoaga???

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Resign Isaac Sopoaga???

I just think they should go real big at NT and make Sopoaga a DT. He's strong and quick - ask him to hit holes and create havoc. Draft Johnathan Jenkins (6'4, 360) for the NT at the end of the first round where he's likely to still be around, or if he's gone, draft Johnathan Hankins (6'4", 320) for a potential Justin Smith replacement there and draft Brandon Williams (6'3", 340) in the third round where he's still probably available for NT. The draft is deep with defensive linemen and the Niners should really beef up that part of their defense. They've got pass rushers - they need to get bigger inside. They'll definitely mix a corner in there too, but the defensive backfield looks a lot better when there is more pressure on the passer. We know this from looking at the first two-thirds of the season.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I don't think anyone is saying Soap is bad.

That is exactly what was said and what I objected to. He may be average but that is better than most rookies would be.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
To me, this is the key question--is there anyone on the team who is an option should they not sign Sopoaga? If not, then they need to sign him or find a vet who can do as well. Some think Franklin but they let him walk in favor of Sop, so that seems unlikely. Are there any better NTs in FAcy this offseson?

They let Franklin walk because he wasn't worth what he was asking. It Soap's price is too high, they will let him walk as well.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Fangio has said that Sopoaga is a key part of the defense.So how exactly has Sopoaga been bad again??

And as far as Sopoaga being mediocre, you could say that about every starting NT not named Ngata or Wilfork.

I don't think anyone is saying Soap is bad. I just think we can do better. People state that Justin Smith often draws doubles teams. So that takes two offensive lineman. If your NT can't do the same, that's a major problem. If we had a NT that could do that, it would open up things even more for Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, and most importantly, Aldon Smith who would be left with nothing but a RB or TE to chip/block him. I don't see how anyone can't see the benefit in that.

You have been watching 9er games correct?? How can you not see Sopoaga draw double teams at times?? And some here has said Sopoaga is more than just bad, but that's their opinion, a correct one, IMO I don't think so but to each his own. And Aldon Smith has been one on one at times, again how do you not notice these things.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by GNielsen:
I just think they should go real big at NT and make Sopoaga a DT. He's strong and quick - ask him to hit holes and create havoc. Draft Johnathan Jenkins (6'4, 360) for the NT at the end of the first round where he's likely to still be around, or if he's gone, draft Johnathan Hankins (6'4", 320) for a potential Justin Smith replacement there and draft Brandon Williams (6'3", 340) in the third round where he's still probably available for NT. The draft is deep with defensive linemen and the Niners should really beef up that part of their defense. They've got pass rushers - they need to get bigger inside. They'll definitely mix a corner in there too, but the defensive backfield looks a lot better when there is more pressure on the passer. We know this from looking at the first two-thirds of the season.

I would be good either way, but Tomsula has said he does not believe that you need a big blob to play NT. And I think his input in the draft would play a big part.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Part of judging a NT is judging the MLBs who play behind him. Willis and Bowman are all world, I don't think they would be if Sopoaga was a "bad" NT. Would it be great to get a NT in the draft who could collapse the pocket every play? Sure, but how likely is that? To release a guy because we might get a guy who is better...bad planning unless the coach really sees a replacement on the team--Williams, RJF...

LOL.....yes, I'm sure Willis and Bowman are the two best inside linebackers in the NFL because of their mediocre NT. In opposition I say, imagine how beastly those two could be with a true NT, because bottomline, Soap is not an NT, he's a DE playing out of position, he doesn't tie up blockers like an NT is supposed to do, he gets knocked off the ball far more times than is justifiable, simply, he was a so-so fill-in because the team hasn't had a true NT, but if they can acquire a Jesse Williams or Jonathan Jenkins like player, he can go to backing up the DE's or simply walking off into the sunset.

This is kinda true guys. Willis was good when Franklin was the NT and he couldn't break the starting lineup in NO.

Willis' or Bowmans play didn't drop off either. But its not like we're saying NOT to bring in a NT, I for one hope we draft one, but I'd still re-sign Sopoaga too, veteran help is always a plus for the rookies. D-line rotation is important on a defense, and if anyone is playing outta position its RJF at NT, when he lines up at nose teams run right up the middle. But, IMO I think the secondary needs to be fixed or really addressed this off-season.
Willis' or Bowmans play didn't drop off either. But its not like we're saying NOT to bring in a NT, I for one hope we draft one, but I'd still re-sign Sopoaga too, veteran help is always a plus for the rookies. D-line rotation is important on a defense, and if anyone is playing outta position its RJF at NT, when he lines up at nose teams run right up the middle. But, IMO I think the secondary needs to be fixed or really addressed this off-season.

This seems to be the point being missed--yes, bring in a top flight draft choice, but don't rely on a rookie until they have a chance to assimilate. Keep the vet, as long as he isn't too far out of reach financially, to maintain continuity.

It would be great if they can get a 6'6" 360 pound NT who can run a 4.4 40 and cram the center into the QB every single play...
We can't afford to. We are giving the money to Goldson.
Ask Tomsula who he wants his NT to be.....nobody fits his line better than Big Ice!!!!!
He doesn't look like he is worth keeping IMO.
Eh Idc if we do or not.. Personally I wouldn't. I don't think he would be to hard to replace. But he is a high character guy and very well liked on our team. That actually makes a difference

You have been watching 9er games correct?? How can you not see Sopoaga draw double teams at times?? And some here has said Sopoaga is more than just bad, but that's their opinion, a correct one, IMO I don't think so but to each his own. And Aldon Smith has been one on one at times, again how do you not notice these things.

The keyword is often. Has it happened with Soap? I've seen it before. But I also saw Kevan Barlow break off long runs from time to time as well. Now let's do the math here. Justin Smith is known to tie up multiple blockers, and it certainly happens more often than those long runs that Kevan Barlow was known to break off . Now you are claiming that Soap draws double teams at times as well, ok. So that leaves one offensive lineman to block Ray McDonald. So who's Aldon Smith one on one with? A running back? A tight tend? Or maybe teams have gone to a permanent 6 man line against us. Maybe I didn't notice this. Because if Aldon Smith was being blocked by A running back or tight end at times (since Soap is drawing these double teams for two lineman at times), i think it's safe to say he should've broke the sack record around week 10. What did I miss?

Let me also add that again, I'm not saying Soap is bad. I just don't want him as the starter.
[ Edited by LifelongNiner on Feb 14, 2013 at 4:07 AM ]
  • cools
  • Veteran
Would love to have Sopo part of the DL rotation, I'd bet he gives the Niners a discount to stay,
But if its Sopo or RJF, I'll take RJF
I don't think Soap will be asking for a big contract so the Niners should definitely try to work something out. Soap is not the best but he does a good job.
Originally posted by Loco49er:
I don't think Soap will be asking for a big contract so the Niners should definitely try to work something out. Soap is not the best but he does a good job.

Agree but they can't keep everyone. If they feel they can find a good young replacement in the draft I would let him look elsewhere unless he come real cheap.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

The keyword is often. Has it happened with Soap? I've seen it before. But I also saw Kevan Barlow break off long runs from time to time as well. Now let's do the math here. Justin Smith is known to tie up multiple blockers, and it certainly happens more often than those long runs that Kevan Barlow was known to break off . Now you are claiming that Soap draws double teams at times as well, ok. So that leaves one offensive lineman to block Ray McDonald. So who's Aldon Smith one on one with? A running back? A tight tend? Or maybe teams have gone to a permanent 6 man line against us. Maybe I didn't notice this. Because if Aldon Smith was being blocked by A running back or tight end at times (since Soap is drawing these double teams for two lineman at times), i think it's safe to say he should've broke the sack record around week 10. What did I miss?

Let me also add that again, I'm not saying Soap is bad. I just don't want him as the starter.

You missed at times Aldon Smith has been beaten by a TE or a RB and has been chipped by a TE or RB too. But by your thinking, you think Ray Mac or Aldon are suppose to beat a RB, TE, one-on-one every single time....not true at all or is it realistic.

Also I'm not saying your saying Sopoaga is bad or not, its your opinion anyway. And its not like Sopoaga will command a big contract, I'm pretty sure he knows his road is coming to an end. Either way we will draft a NT or bring in someone via Free Agency, don't know what some are crying about.
Share 49ersWebzone