Resign Isaac Sopoaga???

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Resign Isaac Sopoaga???

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Exactly!!

NT maybe a need in the off-season, but its not a top priority IMO, people forget how our secondary was torched in the NFC Championship and Super Bowl.

Are you on the cut Carlos Rogers/Donte Whitner, and let Dashon Goldson walk bandwagon?

No not really, I'm on the fix the secondary, whatever it may be. If its cutting a player or switching positions I'm all for it.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Part of judging a NT is judging the MLBs who play behind him. Willis and Bowman are all world, I don't think they would be if Sopoaga was a "bad" NT. Would it be great to get a NT in the draft who could collapse the pocket every play? Sure, but how likely is that? To release a guy because we might get a guy who is better...bad planning unless the coach really sees a replacement on the team--Williams, RJF...

Another well thought out post!!!
Part of judging a NT is judging the MLBs who play behind him. Willis and Bowman are all world, I don't think they would be if Sopoaga was a "bad" NT. Would it be great to get a NT in the draft who could collapse the pocket every play? Sure, but how likely is that? To release a guy because we might get a guy who is better...bad planning unless the coach really sees a replacement on the team--Williams, RJF...

Willis has been all world since he entered the league. It didn't matter who was playing in front of him.
Soap is average at best. He is easily replaceable but he is serviceable. If he is willing to play for a small amount, there is no reason to resign him and bring in some competition for snaps. Soap can play DE or NT in this defense.

LOL.....yes, I'm sure Willis and Bowman are the two best inside linebackers in the NFL because of their mediocre NT. In opposition I say, imagine how beastly those two could be with a true NT, because bottomline, Soap is not an NT, he's a DE playing out of position, he doesn't tie up blockers like an NT is supposed to do, he gets knocked off the ball far more times than is justifiable, simply, he was a so-so fill-in because the team hasn't had a true NT, but if they can acquire a Jesse Williams or Jonathan Jenkins like player, he can go to backing up the DE's or simply walking off into the sunset.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Willis has been all world since he entered the league. It didn't matter who was playing in front of him.

This. A great NT can make lousy linebackers look better, great linebackers can make a mediocre NT look better by making plays in spite of having to regularly deal with blockers at the second level. Willis and Bowman both made some big plays this year after the RB had blown past the DL, guys like Faulk, Jackson and Lynch beat this team up at times.

The 49ers have great linebackers, find a competent NT and they'll perform even better. Either Jesse Williams or Jonathan Jenkins will be available via the draft, even a guy like Brandon Williams in the 2nd would provide a big boost, in free agency, they can acquire a part-time starter such as Aubrayo Franklin or Terrance Knighton to rotate in with them, allowing this team to maintain its edge in dominating against the run, even against bigger backs like Lynch.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 12, 2013 at 4:04 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
LOL.....yes, I'm sure Willis and Bowman are the two best inside linebackers in the NFL because of their mediocre NT. In opposition I say, imagine how beastly those two could be with a true NT, because bottomline, Soap is not an NT, he's a DE playing out of position, he doesn't tie up blockers like an NT is supposed to do, he gets knocked off the ball far more times than is justifiable, simply, he was a so-so fill-in because the team hasn't had a true NT, but if they can acquire a Jesse Williams or Jonathan Jenkins like player, he can go to backing up the DE's or simply walking off into the sunset.

Yes, if they had a good NT in front of them they might be all pros...er...pro bowlers...er...leaders in tackles...er...

You can argue that both these guys are good no matter what, but how many tackles have they had to make five yards past the LOS? Not many. That's because the NT is holding his space and allowing them to hit the hole. When LBs are consistently able to tackle at the LOS it is an indication that the NT is at least holding his space. Otherwise the LBs would be hammered by a G or C.
Yes, if they had a good NT in front of them they might be all pros...er...pro bowlers...er...leaders in tackles...er...

You can argue that both these guys are good no matter what, but how many tackles have they had to make five yards past the LOS? Not many. That's because the NT is holding his space and allowing them to hit the hole. When LBs are consistently able to tackle at the LOS it is an indication that the NT is at least holding his space. Otherwise the LBs would be hammered by a G or C.

Willis has been the same regardless of who has been in front of him, he makes plays all over the field, to somehow claim that Soap, by all accounts a mediocre NT, is the reason why Willis a Pro-Bowler is absolutely ludicrous, and mind-bogglingly asinine. Your level of homerism when it comes to Soap apparently knows no bounds, another average/mediocre holdover that people go banana's about for no particular reason.

No different than the people who went completely banana's after neither Lawson nor Clements were brought back.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 12, 2013 at 5:13 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Willis has been the same regardless of who has been in front of him, he makes plays all over the field, to somehow claim that Soap, by all accounts a mediocre NT, is the reason why Willis a Pro-Bowler is absolutely ludicrous, and mind-bogglingly asinine.

If someone had said that I guess I would agree, but that was not stated. The statement was that if Sop was a "bad" NT the MLBs would not be as effective. It is easier to argue with yourself, but less efficacious.
How is Ian Williams developing? Is he ready to step up?

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Fangio has said that Sopoaga is a key part of the defense.So how exactly has Sopoaga been bad again??

And as far as Sopoaga being mediocre, you could say that about every starting NT not named Ngata or Wilfork.
[ Edited by Kolohe on Feb 12, 2013 at 7:04 PM ]
Puke, no way. Absolutely horrible season from him and he's over 30.
Originally posted by Wrathman:
How is Ian Williams developing? Is he ready to step up?

To me, this is the key question--is there anyone on the team who is an option should they not sign Sopoaga? If not, then they need to sign him or find a vet who can do as well. Some think Franklin but they let him walk in favor of Sop, so that seems unlikely. Are there any better NTs in FAcy this offseson?
To me, this is the key question--is there anyone on the team who is an option should they not sign Sopoaga? If not, then they need to sign him or find a vet who can do as well. Some think Franklin but they let him walk in favor of Sop, so that seems unlikely. Are there any better NTs in FAcy this offseson?

They let Franklin walk because he wasn't worth what he was asking. It Soap's price is too high, they will let him walk as well.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Fangio has said that Sopoaga is a key part of the defense.So how exactly has Sopoaga been bad again??

And as far as Sopoaga being mediocre, you could say that about every starting NT not named Ngata or Wilfork.

I don't think anyone is saying Soap is bad. I just think we can do better. People state that Justin Smith often draws doubles teams. So that takes two offensive lineman. If your NT can't do the same, that's a major problem. If we had a NT that could do that, it would open up things even more for Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, and most importantly, Aldon Smith who would be left with nothing but a RB or TE to chip/block him. I don't see how anyone can't see the benefit in that.
Share 49ersWebzone