There are 121 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Lamar Divens, Kenny Wiggins and Nate Stupar signed to reserve/futures contracts

Originally posted by GNielsen:
I wouldn't be so sure it's all practice squad. I think the process is just starting. Divens is 6'3" 340, a nose tackle. Wiggins is 6'6" 314 DT. The Niners are going to find a way to get depth at the Def. Tackle position and get bigger and taller at that position so they can crush the pocket and keep their OLB's out on the edge.

That way they contain Russell Wilson inside and make it hard for him to scramble and see his receivers. These guys will be competing with draft picks. The draft is filled with big, tall D-tackles. How do you keep Russell Wilson from having 16 second scrambles? Your OLB's guard the edges and your interior linemen crush the pocket and keep their heads up to try to knock down his passes and block his throwing lanes. You take advantage of the fact that he's 5'10". That's what the Steelers did to Fran Tarkenton and that's what the Niners will do to Russell Wilson.

It's starting!
This may be an indicator that they dont plan on brining back Soap or RJF.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:

I think Soap comes back. RJF, meh, not so much. I also think one of the safeties is gone, most likely Goldson as he has stated many times he doesn't want to be franchised again, and I don't think the 49ers are willing to pay him $10 million a year. JH says pay the man, but .....
[ Edited by Beeker on Feb 6, 2013 at 8:15 PM ]
Originally posted by Beeker:

I think Soap comes back. RJF, meh, not so much. I also think one of the safeties is gone, most likely Goldson as he has stated many times he doesn't want to be franchised again, and I don't think the 49ers are willing to pay him $10 million a year. JH says pay the man, but .....

I may be in the minority, but i think neither will be on the roster.

I would like to lock up goldson and move him to SS and draft someone to play FS, but i dont know if the team wants to invest like that in goldson.
[ Edited by IdahoNiner on Feb 6, 2013 at 8:19 PM ]

I would like to lock up goldson and move him to SS and draft someone to play FS, but i dont know if the team wants to invest like that in goldson.

I don't disagree with that - in fact, I've heard that might be the best idea going forward. However, with a lot of players coming off their rookie contracts at the end of next year, I think the 49ers would like to leave themselves some breathing room.
Originally posted by Beeker:

I don't disagree with that - in fact, I've heard that might be the best idea going forward. However, with a lot of players coming off their rookie contracts at the end of next year, I think the 49ers would like to leave themselves some breathing room.

I definately agree with that. I surely wouldnt over pay for Goldson. He can be a liability in coverage at times, same as whitner. Whitner is really a poor mans goldson, so if it came down to him not accepting a reasonable contract then let him walk and draft a FS with coverage skills for next to whitner. Goldson is definately going to have to accept a reasonable offer or walk.
Nate Stupar lol
Is there any way we can bring back NaPalm, Owusu, Masifilo or are they locked down with their new teams?
Originally posted by GNielsen:
I wouldn't be so sure it's all practice squad. I think the process is just starting. Divens is 6'3" 340, a nose tackle. Wiggins is 6'6" 314 DT. The Niners are going to find a way to get depth at the Def. Tackle position and get bigger and taller at that position so they can crush the pocket and keep their OLB's out on the edge.

That way they contain Russell Wilson inside and make it hard for him to scramble and see his receivers. These guys will be competing with draft picks. The draft is filled with big, tall D-tackles. How do you keep Russell Wilson from having 16 second scrambles? Your OLB's guard the edges and your interior linemen crush the pocket and keep their heads up to try to knock down his passes and block his throwing lanes. You take advantage of the fact that he's 5'10". That's what the Steelers did to Fran Tarkenton and that's what the Niners will do to Russell Wilson.

Brilliant observations. Right on on how to neutralize Russell Wilson. With his lack of size if they can put a wall like that in front of him and keep him in the pocket it's going to be very hard for him. Most the damage he does is when he get's out of the pocket. In fact, he does that as matter of course so he can find a lane to see through....
Lockette has signed a futures deal.
Add Al Netter according to Maiocco.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

the article says Netter is a Guard, but i am fully aware he played LT for us in the pre-season.
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:

the article says Netter is a Guard, but i am fully aware he played LT for us in the pre-season.

Probably versatile enough to play Tackle and Guard, which would be a plus, I also think Wiggins can too.
Michael Thomas signed to contract for 2013.
Michael Thomas signed to contract for 2013.

Receiver?