LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 247 users in the forums

What a spectacular 2 yrs... How lucky we are.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by iLL49er:
the team that played better won the game.

that's the plain and simple fact. i'm kind of sick of hearing people complain about the officials (including our head coach)..........we faltered, they took advantage and they won

This.

Now we can move forward. It's real simple, had we played 60 minutes, none of this would've mattered. I don't believe in worrying about things that you can't control. We can't control the officials. We however can control executing a game plan that we have been working on for 2 weeks. We can control not laying down for 30 + minutes, then showing up when it appears the game is going to be a blowout. I like Jim Harbaugh a lot, but I would've never mentioned the no-call in the endzone (and I actually agreed with the refs). Or any of the other missed calls in the game. They happen a lot and there is nothing you can do about it. I will say that I hope we took a lesson or two out of this game. The bad penalties, poor play calls, and poor decision making has bitten us the entire season, and now we got bit on the ultimate stage, 5 yards away from the Lombardi Trophy. I expect us to be more explosive on offense in 2013 and I expect the defense to be closer to how they played from September 2011 - Nov 2012, than what they have been from Dec 2012 - Feb 2013. But the thing that may be most important is our team discipline. If we can get that in order, we should be a 13+ win Super Bowl winning team.
Originally posted by kray28:
Work is not over. Nothing has been accomplished. No time to stop and reflect.

agreed. i dont feel lucky, i feel ripped off.
We need more experience coaching wise in playoff games. Remember John H and Flacco have been to 5 playoff series. FIVE. We were in our 2nd. The experience differential was huge, and it counted when the game came down to 5 yd line, 4 downs to do it. There should have been half a dozen different pre planned plays for that scenario, yet it got winged. That is inexperience. It is why Coach Walsh was GOAT. He had yrs of experience before he came here, then more at stanford. We are asking an awful lot of Jim Harbaugh et al, to bring us a SB the 2nd try in his coaching career of 2 yrs. True, fangio called a horrid first half. So did roman. But there were mistakes aplenty, and that is coaching, coaching, coaching. Look for us to be better next yr.

As a start for next yr, my first order of business would be making the proper call and getting it in earlier. True, JH has markedly improved the fiascos of alex's time and early for Kap. But still it is way too long to get plays in and callled. If plays take 30 seconds to explain in the huddle, well someone needs to streamline those plays. That alone would have given us way better chance of scoring from the 5 than anything else.
And Harbaugh wears the same outfit no matter what, so at least there's that. LOL - he's got on the gameday attire at the Pebble Beach Pro-Am, WTF.
This is funny because I am in as much pain over the last 2 outcomes of the past couple of seasons and it hurts just as much as those previous 8.
Heck I'm sooooooo Happy with the State of the Franchise right now!!! Now don't get me wrong, I am sick to my stomach over losing the Super Bowl but think where we've been. We had an awful QB in Smith, yes he is awful just wait & see next year when he starts for another team and totally stinks it up. We were losing over & over & over and always wondering we should draft this guy or that guy blah blah blah etc etc etc. Now we actually have a Super Bowl Contending team, that is freakin awseome. We found our QB of the Future, We found our New Charles Haley Aldon Smith, We have two kick butt middle backers vs the run,not the pass, We got VD who for my money is the Best TE in the NFL, We have a good Oline, we got Justin, Basically we have a team a real NFL team who sent the most probowlers, We just played like dog doodoo in the 1st half and still alomost won coming within 5 yards, 2 years ago we were 6-10 on 2010 and mobody expected much. So lets Chill the heck out and trust in Baalke in Harbaugh to continue to draft decent and AJ Jenkins you better take notice and wake the Heck up!! We are gonna contend for the forseeable future and that is every NFL fans DREAM!!!
[ Edited by ElephantHaley on Feb 9, 2013 at 4:57 PM ]
Yes it was a spectacular 2 years cuz the 9ers could've won 2 rings in a row.

A couple of muffed punts, a slow first half start, and some no calls helped prevented that from happening.
Originally posted by KEGster:
This.

49ers has a couple teams that should have their season stories shared on that show. Im actually watching "America's Game" right now.
Elephant, I like your enthusiasm, and we have as you say above. We do have trouble in coverage, more deep than short routes, we have the best coach a team could ever want, but he and his OC and DC are still green. Getting less green by the day, but in SB, JH got outcoached, roman didn't cover himself in glory, and fangio died in the first half. Yes, we came back. And yes we had them on the 5 yd, line. And yes, kap could have checked out of those passing plays...same on the 2 pt conversion...but he didn't .Heck, he's REALLY green. And in the end, when it came time to take it or lose it, we flinched, our HC, OC, DC, and QB. Doesn't make us bad, just inexperienced.

Whose team would you rather have going into 2013, ravens or 9ers? Yup, 9ers, because we are up and coming, and watch ravens go into a tailspin. And 1 day, Jim H is going to out coach his brother. Just not this game nor the Turkey day game 2 yrs ago. JH still has a bunch to learn in the pros. He is getting to the final turn, but will be a lot better next yr because of this and last yr. OC I am not so sure of. Too much WTF during some games during the yr. Fangio, again a good DC, who has the horrible propensity to play 3-4 and rarely if ever rush. There is an old axiom and remains true today...if you can't cover, blitz. And there were a lot of times this yr when that is exactly what fangio didn't do. Again, this is just inexperience, and i fully expect our guys to be where John Harbaugh was this yr...only for us it will have to be next yr...or maybe yr after that. Whatever, with 14 draft picks, and the team we have,, I expect to see us and our HC be a lot better next yr and who knows, maybe we take it all. Maybe not. But i do expect him to have 5 plays on the tip of his tongue when it comes down to 1st and 5 on the five yd line, and he will do a lot better than he...or maybe it was roman...did this time.. We know we have the great team. Now it has to be coached like it....and it wasn't nor was our QB flawless, which I expect him to be a lot closer to the coming yr.

We gotta get a WR, unless AJ blooms in 2013..and maybe that was the plan all along, but if so, #1 wasn't the ideal place to take him. #2, now that i liked. We also gotta get a deep cover shut down guy....and that we don't have either. Good runstoppers, but not the passes, as we all saw. But I doubt JH will let that pass this yr and look for definite improvement in coverage, esp deep.So there is a SB out there with our name on it, it just depends on when JH gets it all together, gets enough experience in the bigs, and he has to expect the same from his OC and DC. May be some changes there, who knows. But we are close, we will get it, but our coaches and qb have to have more big time experience. I think they are doing fine and am not as broken up by these two loses as most. JH moved the needle. Kap moved the needle, so did #15 and #85. Justin IS the needle. Our 4 LBs are best in the league. Man what's not to like? Sure Akers had a bad season, but andy was all pro. We be close guys, we be close.

Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Hudson valley, yes we were unprepared on D in first half, same for O, the unshakable Kap got shook when he fired an bullet to Ed Reed( i think him), and had another go way off line, then 2nd half we came back, got our heads in it, and did great until coach/roman showed their inexperience on the 5 yd line, first and goal. Ravens blitzed all LBs, and coach/roman called passes into that. At the time, many, including me, were thinking 4 runs up the gut...or off tackle.But those effete passes....man what a screwup...but it just shows kaps inexperience( he could have called runs instead of passes), Coach H's inexperience, and roman's inexperience. That is the time when experience shows, Flacco had been there 5 times in 5 yrs. He learned something from all those post season tries. Kap, coach, and roman if around will too. That is just part of it. We got a fantastic coach, who got beat by his best friend, his brother, a great up and coming QB, who needs more experience and roman who caved when it was all on the line. We'll get better.

I have no doubt we'll get better. The problem is whether or not we can make it back to the big game. The reality is that this isnt your 80s/90s NFL anymore, where every year you have the same 2-3 teams fighting for a SB title. Every year, one or two new teams emerge in each conference and seem to steal the spotlight. This year ATL ripped through the NFL for the number 1 spot. Who's to say next year the NFC doesnt go through Seattle, or GB, or NOs. This year's team put a great run together. We beat GB at home even though the world counted us out. Then we came back from an epic collapse in ATL to narrowly pull it out, only to lose to the worst team we faced in the playoffs (on paper).

Its just not that easy anymore. If the perfect New England Patriots can lose to a Wild Card team in the SB, then whats the guarantee that we'll be in the "thick of things" come next year ? By being the NFC representative this year, all we did was put a target on our backs. Next year, teams like ATL and GB will be avenging playoff losses. Seattle will be looking to overtake us in the NFC West, and STL is convinced they have our number. New Orleans will play with a chip on their shoulder since we ended both of their previous seasons. Then you have the Colts and Texans looking to make their own statements in the league.

The league is full of parity, and teams are vying to make a name for themselves. 2 years ago we surprised everyone. This year, we were the most balanced and complete team in the league. Teams will be using US as their stepping stone, and I just dont think it's that easy to repeat anymore. Thats why good teams like the Saints, Packers, Giants havent even sniffed the SB the year after the year they made. The difference being that the aforementioned claimed their trophy, whereas we did not.
3rd luckest team in the league
Hudson, your points are all good ones, and no question sal cap and parity have made this a very different game than the run we had in the 80s-90s. Point is, flacco and John harbaugh have been to playoffs 5X in 5 yrs. so they fit your analysis of bullseye on their backs. Yet they did it. Now they are headed in the opposite direction of us ( i think), and we are the ones who have a 2nd yr coach with two runs into the playoffs. Our qb had umm, well 1/3 of a season to get ready for the playoffs, and he did spectacularly well...but when it came to gut check time inside the 10 yd line with 2 mins to go, he could have checked out of those passing plays, where the ravens blitzed all LBs every play( and kap could see some of those)...but he just didn't have the experience. Now he seems a way better qb than flacco compared to where flacco was after his 2nd yr. And remember, Kap didn't have a year, he had 5 games. Big difference. His inexperience, JHs inexperience, same for fangio in first half and roman at start and very end of game....well, those guys all learned ( at least i hope so), and will be more ready in 2013.

Meantime, I agree about the parity deal, I agree about SEA, Texans, Pats, ATL, saints, et al, but i see us a better team overall, with some holes. Teamwise, I believe we are a lock to reach the playoffs again. As we saw, a great deal of luck enters into this also w/ blown calls both ways, some worse than others. Still i see us contending again, when our qb will actually have a YEAR under his belt, not 5 games. No question we need a DB who can stop the deep pass. Two wouldn't be bad, but that is asking a lot. Also I would expect fangio to improve, since we are playing a 3-4 and not blitzing from it, the entire point of the 3-4. As for roman, i dunno, as he has been great (NE) and awful (SEA). He wasn't even remotely ready for the playcalls at end of game from inside the 5. Poor clock mgmt, poor choice of calls, and worse, our qB didn't check out of the crummy pass calls. He could have. All that is inexperience, and I expect Coach, DC, OC , QB will all have a bigger leg up next time, and parity or not, we will be there next yr.

Player wise, we are an OL, DL, WR X2(depending on AJ), cover back away from having a virtually complete package. And if you check around the league, we match up player for player way better than most with a great coach, great front office, great GM. So I see us back here in 2013-14.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
We need more experience coaching wise in playoff games. Remember John H and Flacco have been to 5 playoff series. FIVE. We were in our 2nd. The experience differential was huge, and it counted when the game came down to 5 yd line, 4 downs to do it. There should have been half a dozen different pre planned plays for that scenario, yet it got winged. That is inexperience. It is why Coach Walsh was GOAT. He had yrs of experience before he came here, then more at stanford. We are asking an awful lot of Jim Harbaugh et al, to bring us a SB the 2nd try in his coaching career of 2 yrs. True, fangio called a horrid first half. So did roman. But there were mistakes aplenty, and that is coaching, coaching, coaching. Look for us to be better next yr.

As a start for next yr, my first order of business would be making the proper call and getting it in earlier. True, JH has markedly improved the fiascos of alex's time and early for Kap. But still it is way too long to get plays in and callled. If plays take 30 seconds to explain in the huddle, well someone needs to streamline those plays. That alone would have given us way better chance of scoring from the 5 than anything else.
of course this is the truth, i know it is against the law to be critical of our coaches because you always get nolan and MIke s thrown in your face but anyone can see we were out coached to many times this year,(twice in two defeats vs the rams) not to mention the keystone copy play calling at the end of the super bowl. of course this is true, sad to say
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninersoul:
Yes it was a spectacular 2 years cuz the 9ers could've won 2 rings in a row.

A couple of muffed punts, a slow first half start, and some no calls helped prevented that from happening.

the refs had nothing to do with the game,, we did not or could not, were either unable or unwilling, to control things we could control and that is why we lost. it may be easier to blame refs but its not correct in this case
Share 49ersWebzone