LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 292 users in the forums

What a spectacular 2 yrs... How lucky we are.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
It's been great but we are a few mistakes away from being 6-0 and a few plays away last year from having a chance at 7-0. Who knows what would have happen if we faced NE last year but that's football and life... a few mistakes or plays... a few yards is the difference.
@HusonValley I disagree that we lost to a lesser team, they've beaten us twice now. I think we have a higher ceiling sure, but as of right now physical teams with similar styles are our kryptonite. We have to get better.
Originally posted by SFBlue:
@HusonValley I disagree that we lost to a lesser team, they've beaten us twice now. I think we have a higher ceiling sure, but as of right now physical teams with similar styles are our kryptonite. We have to get better.

With Alex Smith as quarterback, I agree. He's more of a pocket passer. The Ravens blitzed heavy last year and contained this offense. Not with Kaep. I think we can all agree that the 2nd half 49ers was more representative of who we are than the 1st half 49ers. We lost bc of our own mental errors. And Im not just a fan wearing rose colored shades. Been watching ESPN, NFL Network, listing to ESPNradio NY for the past 48 hours, and everyone Ive heard has basically said that the Niners were the better team, but lost because they put themselves in a hole and made all the mental errors. They won bc they were poised, not bc they were better.
  • ace52
  • Veteran
After giving myself a couple of days to get some perspective on the SB and our team in general, I've come to appreciate the situation that we're in. We now have a team that, if they play to their full potential for 4 quarters, can beat anyone in the NFL. Think about it: if our team didn't commit a penalty that kept the Ravens' first drive alive (which led to a TD for them), if LMJ didn't fumble the ball, if Kaep had made just a slightly better throw and Crabs had made just a slightly better attempt at a catch on that ball in the endzone that somehow Moss and Crabs both missed even though they were both open, we would have won the SB, even with all the big plays that our D and ST gave up.

Next year, if we can revamp our D, and add a solid #2 WR to complement Crabs, look out!
Originally posted by HudsonValley:
Although I am starting to see the silver lining in all of these threads (and Ive posted some optimistic ones myself), we cant shed the notion that we lost to a lesser team.

If we had lost to a team like Denver, and maybe even the Patriots, I think the loss would have been easier to swallow. But after dismantling stronger opponents in the Packers and Falcons, this should have been a cakewalk. And for the most part, it was. LMJ's fumble knocked the wind out of us, and before we knew it, the team was rallying from a 28-6 hole. Imagine if we had kept the game to a reasonable 21-10 or 21-13 at half. We'd be hoisting the Lombardi trophy right now.

Just dont understand how the team was so unprepared in the SUPERBOWL. It's mind boggling, and we let an aging slower team toss us around. Just inexcusable, and I guarantee this loss will linger in our minds just as the Craig fumble of 1990 does for decades to come.

I'm starting to wonder if maybe we are just too multiple on offense. It just seems that against good teams it takes a quarter/quarter and a half to get it cranking. Now I'm sure a lot is the inexperience of kap. This off season should be huge for him in is reading of defenses and managing of game situations. There is that old adage the the biggest jump for a qb is between their first and second year. Now I know this was his second yr on the team but he was essentially a rookie as an nfl starter. IMO the defense just wore down/got injured. If we could have had this offense with last years defense that would have been special. The only other frankenstein'd niner team I would like better than that fantasy squad would be a '98 offense combined with a '97 defense
With Alex Smith as quarterback, I agree. He's more of a pocket passer. The Ravens blitzed heavy last year and contained this offense. Not with Kaep. I think we can all agree that the 2nd half 49ers was more representative of who we are than the 1st half 49ers. We lost bc of our own mental errors. And Im not just a fan wearing rose colored shades. Been watching ESPN, NFL Network, listing to ESPNradio NY for the past 48 hours, and everyone Ive heard has basically said that the Niners were the better team, but lost because they put themselves in a hole and made all the mental errors. They won bc they were poised, not bc they were better.

I agree that we SHOULD be the better team but for whatever reasons thay may be, we were NOT the better team. I have a feeling it comes down to experience, we are a lot younger and have less experience. We have problems getting our plays in on time it seems, and questionable calls when it comes to clock management. These are the small things that stop us from being as great as we should be. Coming in flat like we have multiple times, I don't understand at all, but hopefully experience can fix that as well.
Hudson valley, yes we were unprepared on D in first half, same for O, the unshakable Kap got shook when he fired an bullet to Ed Reed( i think him), and had another go way off line, then 2nd half we came back, got our heads in it, and did great until coach/roman showed their inexperience on the 5 yd line, first and goal. Ravens blitzed all LBs, and coach/roman called passes into that. At the time, many, including me, were thinking 4 runs up the gut...or off tackle.But those effete passes....man what a screwup...but it just shows kaps inexperience( he could have called runs instead of passes), Coach H's inexperience, and roman's inexperience. That is the time when experience shows, Flacco had been there 5 times in 5 yrs. He learned something from all those post season tries. Kap, coach, and roman if around will too. That is just part of it. We got a fantastic coach, who got beat by his best friend, his brother, a great up and coming QB, who needs more experience and roman who caved when it was all on the line. We'll get better.
Just dont understand how the team was so unprepared in the SUPERBOWL. It's mind boggling, and we let an aging slower team toss us around. Just inexcusable, and I guarantee this loss will linger in our minds just as the Craig fumble of 1990 does for decades to come.
I agree. Even the beginning of the game... imagine if the Vernon Davis 20-yard catch to start the game wasn't called back. Imagine if Brooks hadn't jumped offsides and given the Ravens another third down attempt. How much of that had an affect on the tempo and momentum of the game? You could argue that those were arguably two of the biggest plays in the game!

It's too bad, but hey, we lost... who knows how it would've turned out had those events gone our way, but...
Originally posted by theduke85:
I agree. Even the beginning of the game... imagine if the Vernon Davis 20-yard catch to start the game wasn't called back. Imagine if Brooks hadn't jumped offsides and given the Ravens another third down attempt. How much of that had an affect on the tempo and momentum of the game? You could argue that those were arguably two of the biggest plays in the game!

It's too bad, but hey, we lost... who knows how it would've turned out had those events gone our way, but...

Thinking of those things is like pouring salt on the wound. We had every opportunity and f**ked every one of them. Yet still had it only 5 yards away. Would you believe me before the game if I told you the Ravens D could hold us to nothing at the 5 with the game on the line and 3 downs? You would have spit in my face if I told you they would. Yet somehow through the perfect storm of s**t our recent 49er travesty luck got us again. We are cursed since Jed got the team I swear.
Originally posted by BayArea:
Thinking of those things is like pouring salt on the wound. We had every opportunity and f**ked every one of them. Yet still had it only 5 yards away. Would you believe me before the game if I told you the Ravens D could hold us to nothing at the 5 with the game on the line and 3 downs? You would have spit in my face if I told you they would. Yet somehow through the perfect storm of s**t our recent 49er travesty luck got us again. We are cursed since Jed got the team I swear.
Yes. I know it's cliche, but I really think we did beat ourselves. I thought our offense looked awesome the whole game. They stalled in the red zone, but that is about their only mistake (granted, it is a huge one!). I couldn't believe how quickly we moved the ball great distances.

Originally posted by theduke85:
Originally posted by BayArea:
Yes. I know it's cliche, but I really think we did beat ourselves. I thought our offense looked awesome the whole game. They stalled in the red zone, but that is about their only mistake (granted, it is a huge one!). I couldn't believe how quickly we moved the ball great distances.

We averaged the second most yards per play in Super Bowl history at 8.5 yards per offensive snap. That is insane. Only the 1987 Redskins had a higher average and they won 42-10.
the team that played better won the game.

that's the plain and simple fact. i'm kind of sick of hearing people complain about the officials (including our head coach)..........we faltered, they took advantage and they won
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Try this on for size:

3-13 4-12 2-14 7-9 5-6 8-8 (oops and then we backslid) 5-11 6-10 .

Those are the hard, painful facts of the previous 8 yrs, and when Coach H appeared he took us from nowhereland to the NFC title game in one season? Holy smoke, anybody that saw that must have been blowing blue smoke. And then, we play NYG to a tie, with ONE WR, good for one 3 yd catch, and 2 muffed punts by our replacement PR. Other than that , we had 'em beat. Chew on that for awhile.

Then this yr, beating GB twice, beat #1 seed ATL, and then in SB, Fangio and the D takes a powder for the first half. 2nd half they come alive, and better , our O comes alive. Down by 3 we are at the 5 yd line and roman/ coach H muff the calls. 4 hard runs up the gut with Ravens sending all LBs, and we win it. But that is looking in the rear view mirror. My guess is Coach H was a bit distracted playing his big brother. Don't know for sure, but i wonder. In any event, any fan who is disappointed in this team, this Coach, this front office...well, they are being piggy. By rights we shouldn't have been able to ascend this fast and a SB win for a 2nd yr coach...well,, it was just a bridge too far. The QB change 2/3 way thru season? Did great, until the last 4 plays, he got shook, and looked like, well, a rook, which, he essentially was. Our HC learned a bunch about the NFL this yr, and same can be said for Kap. Give him a full yr, and Lookout NFL.

Anybody that isn't happy with that, probably needs to re-examine their expectations... We done great, and with 7 of 8 probowlers signed, are going to be better. Also with 13-15 draft picks, look for us to bundle and get a top of the line player in top 16, mostly DL or OL. Man I can't wait til next yr. Please, God, let me live that long to see it. Also, incredible thanks to Jed who sheparded this team from a running bedsore into a raving beauty. Best hire, of course, was Coach Harbaugh, and thanks to Baalke for that.

Really the 49ers win if they run it 4 times on first and goal?

Even if the Ravens didn't force a turn over on downs and the 49ers scored a TD. There was like a minute left and the Ravens had 3 timeouts, with only a field goal needed. I've seen Flacco make the final drive to win the game many times....chances are the 49ers lose regardless.

Listen, the black out kept the 9ers from being utterly embarrassed, just be thankful that it was close at the end. Stop saying it is a NFL conspiracy, the refs handed over the game, ect.

I swear you guys are worse than Steelers fans...
[ Edited by Number5Elite on Feb 8, 2013 at 1:18 PM ]
Originally posted by Number5Elite:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Try this on for size:

3-13 4-12 2-14 7-9 5-6 8-8 (oops and then we backslid) 5-11 6-10 .

Those are the hard, painful facts of the previous 8 yrs, and when Coach H appeared he took us from nowhereland to the NFC title game in one season? Holy smoke, anybody that saw that must have been blowing blue smoke. And then, we play NYG to a tie, with ONE WR, good for one 3 yd catch, and 2 muffed punts by our replacement PR. Other than that , we had 'em beat. Chew on that for awhile.

Then this yr, beating GB twice, beat #1 seed ATL, and then in SB, Fangio and the D takes a powder for the first half. 2nd half they come alive, and better , our O comes alive. Down by 3 we are at the 5 yd line and roman/ coach H muff the calls. 4 hard runs up the gut with Ravens sending all LBs, and we win it. But that is looking in the rear view mirror. My guess is Coach H was a bit distracted playing his big brother. Don't know for sure, but i wonder. In any event, any fan who is disappointed in this team, this Coach, this front office...well, they are being piggy. By rights we shouldn't have been able to ascend this fast and a SB win for a 2nd yr coach...well,, it was just a bridge too far. The QB change 2/3 way thru season? Did great, until the last 4 plays, he got shook, and looked like, well, a rook, which, he essentially was. Our HC learned a bunch about the NFL this yr, and same can be said for Kap. Give him a full yr, and Lookout NFL.

Anybody that isn't happy with that, probably needs to re-examine their expectations... We done great, and with 7 of 8 probowlers signed, are going to be better. Also with 13-15 draft picks, look for us to bundle and get a top of the line player in top 16, mostly DL or OL. Man I can't wait til next yr. Please, God, let me live that long to see it. Also, incredible thanks to Jed who sheparded this team from a running bedsore into a raving beauty. Best hire, of course, was Coach Harbaugh, and thanks to Baalke for that.

Really the 49ers win if they run it 4 times on first and goal?

Even if the Ravens didn't force a turn over on downs and the 49ers scored a TD. There was like a minute left and the Ravens had 3 timeouts, with only a field goal needed. I've seen Flacco make the final drive to win the game many times....chances are the 49ers lose regardless.

Listen, the black out kept the 9ers from being utterly embarrassed, just be thankful that it was close at the end. Stop saying it is a NFL conspiracy, the refs handed over the game, ect.

I swear you guys are worse than Steelers fans...

Then you should be thankful you won and stop blaming the blackout for the Niners comeback. It is what it is, your team won, go celebrate. I don't really understand what you're doing on this forum to begin with? It is the same story with every team. Whenever a team loses, the fans can have a multiplicity of reasons for the loss, with different fans having different perspectives. If the Ravens lost I'm sure some of your fans would have blamed the blackout, the refs, or any number of other factors.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Work is not over. Nothing has been accomplished. No time to stop and reflect.
Share 49ersWebzone