LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 262 users in the forums

What a spectacular 2 yrs... How lucky we are.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Try this on for size:

3-13 4-12 2-14 7-9 5-6 8-8 (oops and then we backslid) 5-11 6-10 .

Those are the hard, painful facts of the previous 8 yrs, and when Coach H appeared he took us from nowhereland to the NFC title game in one season? Holy smoke, anybody that saw that must have been blowing blue smoke. And then, we play NYG to a tie, with ONE WR, good for one 3 yd catch, and 2 muffed punts by our replacement PR. Other than that , we had 'em beat. Chew on that for awhile.

Then this yr, beating GB twice, beat #1 seed ATL, and then in SB, Fangio and the D takes a powder for the first half. 2nd half they come alive, and better , our O comes alive. Down by 3 we are at the 5 yd line and roman/ coach H muff the calls. 4 hard runs up the gut with Ravens sending all LBs, and we win it. But that is looking in the rear view mirror. My guess is Coach H was a bit distracted playing his big brother. Don't know for sure, but i wonder. In any event, any fan who is disappointed in this team, this Coach, this front office...well, they are being piggy. By rights we shouldn't have been able to ascend this fast and a SB win for a 2nd yr coach...well,, it was just a bridge too far. The QB change 2/3 way thru season? Did great, until the last 4 plays, he got shook, and looked like, well, a rook, which, he essentially was. Our HC learned a bunch about the NFL this yr, and same can be said for Kap. Give him a full yr, and Lookout NFL.

Anybody that isn't happy with that, probably needs to re-examine their expectations... We done great, and with 7 of 8 probowlers signed, are going to be better. Also with 13-15 draft picks, look for us to bundle and get a top of the line player in top 16, mostly DL or OL. Man I can't wait til next yr. Please, God, let me live that long to see it. Also, incredible thanks to Jed who sheparded this team from a running bedsore into a raving beauty. Best hire, of course, was Coach Harbaugh, and thanks to Baalke for that.

[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Feb 5, 2013 at 6:01 PM ]
still have a stomach ache
I'm super excited for next year, mainly because of Kap.
Great post....I totally agree. The foundation is very sound. We have a great opportunity to strengthen and solidify the roster in the draft. We all know what areas need addressed, but the facts of the nfl are if you have a coach and a qb you are always viable.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Feb 5, 2013 at 6:15 PM ]
Yeah, Jeff, it hurt, but not like after the Montana yrs. That wasn't a stomach ache, that was an ulcer...and it lasted 8 long, horrible yrs. But that's gone now and our future is nothing but superb. SB superb.

And yes, Donnie, I also am excited to see what Kap can do with a full yr under his belt. He has already shown the read option that led the Packers to the Little Bighorn. Yeah, SEA had it figured out with the DEs just holding the outside, and we got waxed before Roman realized what would happen if a team played D that way. No problem, Kap just reverts to a pocket passer, who when they have everyone covered, becomes our best running back. That is going to be the NFL's problem ALL next yr, and I like our odds. As for the read option, two words, RG 3. I am personally happy to see kap in pocket, and run if nobody open, but running 180 yds/game is just begging for trouble. Redskins found that out RG's first yr....and I hope we learned from it. Nobody wants to see our QB be the leading rusher...especially with backs like frank, hunter, LMJ. Like you, Donnie, I cannot wait.
Doesn't feel like it at all. But coming off the worst loss in franchise history will do that.

Our team will be very good next season and with 12 to 14 picks our future is bright.

#MVPKaepShow2013
What keeps going through my mind is that this team was a game away last year and 5yards away this year with essentially one real healthy WR. Mario or Kyle would have been so huge this post season. In my mind Trent's sole responsibility now is to arm Kap with weapons. Honestly I would love to see a Welker/Cruz type slot WR added to this offense.
Actually we are the most unlucky team on the face of the earth. If we were lucky we would have a cinderarella story or two right now instead of two gut wrenching ends to shoulda coulda woulda seasons. Just like the Bills of the early 90's. Should they consider them lucky for going 4 seasons in a row and losing every one? I don't think so.
It has been a great two years. Oddly enough, they've been more painful for me than the dark years. The highs are real high, but man oh man, the lows are really low. I can't wait for the next season to start. #6 can't come soon enough.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
It has been a great two years. Oddly enough, they've been more painful for me than the dark years. The highs are real high, but man oh man, the lows are really low. I can't wait for the next season to start. #6 can't come soon enough.

That my sentiment exactly. The dark years where really easy circa 2004-05. Every win was like Christmas and the losses just rolled off. Now these last two years felt just like the dynasty years to me. Every lose hurt for a week and every win was just relief. Honestly tho it just feels right again. Lets be real tho we just are not gonna see a run like 81-98 again that's just historic. Just take the pats for example the still need two more Super Bowls and six more great years to match our dynasty. NOw I absolutely loved the perfect Super Bowl record, but none of the other big boys are flawless either. Just gotta keep knocking on the door we will eventually get 6 and beyond.

I agree but then I also think just how doggone close we have come now twice and the way those two games went down I'm stuck between numb and bitter. We lost to two teams that we are better than. We gave them away even if we might have been robbed by fate and questionable officiating. As for next year I'm so excited I just want September to come. We get Mario back, we get Kendall back, I think Jenkins will finally show something and we get K-Dub back. Unlike Harbs I won't be sad to see Randy go. I like what he brought to the team but he was the same old Randy way too often. I'm not sure if its because I live in the Midwest and saw his act for so long but Jerry Rice is right. The guy plays lazy. He wastes his ability. Lazy/slow routes, runs out of bounds after the catch versus fighting for yards. It was great that he helped out the younger guys and was a good locker room presence, but I'd rather have someone who produces. Let him go to another team and chase his ring.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
It's been a great past two years. Let's keep it going.
Originally posted by BayArea:
Actually we are the most unlucky team on the face of the earth. If we were lucky we would have a cinderarella story or two right now instead of two gut wrenching ends to shoulda coulda woulda seasons. Just like the Bills of the early 90's. Should they consider them lucky for going 4 seasons in a row and losing every one? I don't think so.

Yeah. We are going to look back at this and realize they were lost chances at titles.

Even if we win the next three out of five, we will stlil wonder what if...
Originally posted by Niners816:
Great post....I totally agree. The foundation is very sound. We have a great opportunity to strengthen and solidify the roster in the draft. We all know what areas need addressed, but the facts of the nfl are if you have a coach and a qb you are always viable.

This combo is the most comforting thing that was missing from the dark years. Of course it's devestating to lose in the Superbowl, but we can feel comfort in knowing that we will be contenders for years to come. This wasn't a case of a mediocre team sneaking in to the playoffs and getting hot, this was a team that belonged in the big game and will continue to grow from here on out.
Although I am starting to see the silver lining in all of these threads (and Ive posted some optimistic ones myself), we cant shed the notion that we lost to a lesser team.

If we had lost to a team like Denver, and maybe even the Patriots, I think the loss would have been easier to swallow. But after dismantling stronger opponents in the Packers and Falcons, this should have been a cakewalk. And for the most part, it was. LMJ's fumble knocked the wind out of us, and before we knew it, the team was rallying from a 28-6 hole. Imagine if we had kept the game to a reasonable 21-10 or 21-13 at half. We'd be hoisting the Lombardi trophy right now.

Just dont understand how the team was so unprepared in the SUPERBOWL. It's mind boggling, and we let an aging slower team toss us around. Just inexcusable, and I guarantee this loss will linger in our minds just as the Craig fumble of 1990 does for decades to come.
[ Edited by HudsonValley on Feb 5, 2013 at 7:09 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone