There are 64 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Why are we so friggin bad early in games?!?

Originally posted by aTx49er:
It never fails. Someone criticizes Kaep and they are automatically labeled a Smith fan. SMH........

And a few of us have had to listen more anti-crap about Kap, it is hard not to react.
  • Starting with the draft .. .Gabbert, Ponder, Locker - not Kap
  • Gimmicky offense/ Nevada didn't play anybody his numbers mean nothing in college
  • Run first QB
  • Throwing motion won't work in the NFL
  • He can't throw in the pocket .. .just runs away
  • Shouldn't be the #2 Tolzien is way better
  • Dump Kap.... keep JJ
  • Keep him on the bench ... he is hurting AS "rythym"
  • Keep him on the bench for 3 years like Rodgers

Then all these same guys who told me how stupid I was about Kap, now have gone 180 and claim they never said .....
There is a reason I have only 200 posts in many years. There are too many veterans here who spout nonsense and lives revolve skate boarding and 420 and are still looking forward to getting there driving license, yet somehow are revered veterans experts.
They never coached or even touched a football and never saw Joe Montana play ..... This forum swells when school gets out far more than post work time.
[ Edited by OldJoe on Feb 7, 2013 at 10:48 AM ]
Originally posted by OldJoe:
It never fails. Someone criticizes Kaep and they are automatically labeled a Smith fan. SMH........

And a few of us have had to listen more anti-crap about Kap, it is hard not to react.
  • Gimmicky offense/ Nevada didn't play anybody his numbers mean nothing in college
  • Run first QB
  • Dump Kap.... keep JJ

Then all these same guys who told me how stupid I was about Kap, now have gone 180 and claim they never said .....
There is a reason I have only 200 posts in many years. There are too many veterans here who spout nonsense and lives revolve skate boarding and 420 and are still looking forward to getting there driving license, yet somehow are revered veterans experts.
They never coached or even touched a football and never saw Joe Montana play ..... This forum swells when school gets out far more than post work time.

Well you're one of the lucky ones who are near omniscient. I had no idea how well Colin would play this year. I certainly saw that he had talent and believed he'd take the reins from Alex next season..but quite frankly I was against his starting over Alex because Alex was already ranked in the top 5 QBs. It would have been hard to do more. He certainly appeared to do so except in the redzone...he's going to need to work on that area of his game.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by OldJoe:

• Run first QB
  • Dump Kap.... keep JJ

Well you're one of the lucky ones who are near omniscient. I had no idea how well Colin would play this year. I certainly saw that he had talent and believed he'd take the reins from Alex next season..but quite frankly I was against his starting over Alex because Alex was already ranked in the top 5 QBs. It would have been hard to do more. He certainly appeared to do so except in the redzone...he's going to need to work on that area of his game.

I would be lying to say I'm completely objective. I'm a huge fan of his and am always questioning that within myself. And watching all his games since high school, I have seen him run and pass like this, but am a bit still surprised seeing him do this at the highest level.

And look, I understand the Alex change and the furor it caused. All these year Alex finally playing like many thought he could and racks up many wins and whoosh ... a change. How unfair.
And back to topic, some of the slow starts one can put on Colin. And not getting plays off and calling audibles in tough environments. And the early tendency to run (he has never had a super dependable OL) out of the pocket a little early. But, he always works on the weak part of his game. His flaws always seem temporary because he finds a way to address. This is still all a bit new to him.
Originally posted by socalniner:
I'm gonna say it's the team not used to playing these types of games yet. First road game in a championship against ATL and then of course an even bigger stage at the SB. Next year, this won't be a problem.

Next year we will be lucky to even make the playoffs.
The coaching staff is clearly poor at drafting a game plan until they get a feel for the opponent. The only time they seemed prepared in the latter half of the year was against New England. They are clearly great at in-game adjustments, but it's a flaw that Jim and co. need to work on.

I saw someone mention the play clock/delay of game issues. They take forever to get the plays in because of the degrees of separation to Colin. Jim needs to entrust someone to do it right and not be a conduit, just listening in to the call and pulling the plug if it doesn't feel right.
Originally posted by JBatta49erfansince81:
I'm gonna say it's the team not used to playing these types of games yet. First road game in a championship against ATL and then of course an even bigger stage at the SB. Next year, this won't be a problem.

Who knocks us out? Our Home/Away splits are much better than Seattle's next year. They get all of their tough games on the road, where they're a below average team (excluding the playoffs).
Originally posted by rudedog:
Because Roman starts every game the same. Hand the ball to Gore up the middle and the other teams knows that we are going to do just that and they end up with long yardage on 2nd and third downs and then have to punt. He needs to do play action on the first play and get the defense questioning what they are doing. Give them something to think about.

That's pretty much the exact opposite of what happened in the playoffs. Roman got creative and went away from the strength of the team (power running) trying to outthink the opponents. In Atlanta it was only after a steady diet of Gore that the offense was able to move the ball and score.

When I see someone expressing this sentiment, I always wonder where it comes from. It couldn't come from a logical approach. The Niners have an easier schedule next year while the Seahawks have a tougher one. 19 of the Niners 22 starters are under contract and they have cap space to do what they want with the others. They have 14 draft picks. They will finally be able to simply concentrate on building an explosive offense specifically for Kaepernick so their offense should be more cohesive. They'll get a healthy J Smith, P. Harylson, K. Hunter, K. Williams and Manningham back. And, on top of that, Vegas has the Niners as the odds-on favorite to represent the NFC in next year's Super Bowl.

So where does someone come up with "we'll be lucky to make the playoffs?" I'd really like to understand the thinking behind that, if there is any.
jetlag. internal clock is a muthaf**ka.
Originally posted by trogdor:
Originally posted by rudedog:
Because Roman starts every game the same. Hand the ball to Gore up the middle and the other teams knows that we are going to do just that and they end up with long yardage on 2nd and third downs and then have to punt. He needs to do play action on the first play and get the defense questioning what they are doing. Give them something to think about.

That's pretty much the exact opposite of what happened in the playoffs. Roman got creative and went away from the strength of the team (power running) trying to outthink the opponents. In Atlanta it was only after a steady diet of Gore that the offense was able to move the ball and score.

Bingo. Roman out-thinks himself. If you were paying attention, you had to notice that he started off passing the last three games. He seems to think they expect him to run, so he passes.
Originally posted by sfninerfanMax:
I think the Niners start out conservative on defense every game, no blitzing--nothing special and then make adjustments. On offense kaep isn't looking to run in the first half as much but in the second half he plays like Kaep. The Green Bay game being an exception.

Defense does not blitz early, does not get pass rush, gives up points. We need J.Smith, A.Smith and Brooks healthy, and draft/FA another DL pass rushiing stud to get pressure without selling out.
Over confidence and Immaturity. This will change next year, This was a painful lesson, but one that will be beneficial for next couple years
Originally posted by guillotine31:

Who knocks us out? Our Home/Away splits are much better than Seattle's next year. They get all of their tough games on the road, where they're a below average team (excluding the playoffs).

including playoffs

no healthy RG3
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
because new england exposed our weaknesses and we've had no (first half) answer since.

Meh, their biggest success was Justin Smith being injured. Without Justin, the pass rush doesn't come, this team doesn't play the run as well and the entire defense looks suspect.

It's all Justin Smith that holds our defense together. Which worries me as he is getting older and has injuries.

this is what i mean, for a long time everyone thought that our D had no holes. mainly in the secondary. justin not being in there showed where the holes are and teams continued to attack them even when justin came back.