There are 139 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Are the 49ers a "MISSED WINDOW" team?

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Marino

"...In Super Bowl XIX, Marino and the Dolphins faced off against San Francisco 49ers and Joe Montana in Palo Alto, California. The Dolphins, who had 74 rushing attempts in the previous two weeks, ran the ball only eight times in this game. Marino finished with 29 completions out of 50 attempts for 318 yards, throwing one touchdown pass and two interceptions. The Dolphins lost 38–16 in what was Marino's only Super Bowl appearance...."



Well that's tough s**t for Dan Marino. Ever hear of John Elway?
Originally posted by 4ever9ers:
Meh at this thread. I honestly will never give up.

I have been depressed all day and thoughts like this have come to my mind BUT I feel like you can not say that we are a missed window team until the window is completely closed.

This is still a loaded team and have a highly talented young QB about to go through his first full season as a starter. The offense under Kaep has been looking very good, couple that with the best front 7 in the game. Could use a couple of pieces but the window is still very much open...


Maybe true. But Justin Smith and Frank Gore are age and injury concerns. And Dashon Goldson is a FA. So there are some questions.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by leebert81:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
1) The 49ers winning the game in the 4th quarter last year in the NFC Championship fumble 2 punts. One in the 4th quarter and one in overtime to lose a narrow game. Miss the Super Bowl. (2011)

Result = Come up short. Lost year.

2) The following year the 49ers advance 1 step further but fall hugely behind 28 - 6 by the 3rd quarter. They didn't even play the 1st two quarters. Simply horrible. Then fight all the way back and have 1st and goal at the 7 with minutes left for a chance to win the Super Bowl. They then blow all 4 plays and questionable calls. (2012)

Result = Come up short. Lost year.

A top flight team that comes up short year after year. We have seen this before. It's the BUFFALO BILLS SYNDROME. Can't close the deal.

You only have so much window and I fear we are wasting it. Justin Smith is not getting younger and already is starting to show signs of injury and wear and tear. Frank Gore is getting older and has taken a pounding over the years. Dashon Goldson is a FA again. Do we Franchise him again? Will we let him go to save money?

Everybody thought Dan Marino would be in Super Bowl after Super Bowl. But he made it only once and never again. There is no guarantee we will be back.
SD, do you EVER check to see what you type is accurate? EVER? Marino was in two superbowls.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Marino

"...In Super Bowl XIX, Marino and the Dolphins faced off against San Francisco 49ers and Joe Montana in Palo Alto, California. The Dolphins, who had 74 rushing attempts in the previous two weeks, ran the ball only eight times in this game. Marino finished with 29 completions out of 50 attempts for 318 yards, throwing one touchdown pass and two interceptions. The Dolphins lost 38–16 in what was Marino's only Super Bowl appearance...."

oops. I thought he played in 82. My bad.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by 4ever9ers:
Meh at this thread. I honestly will never give up.

I have been depressed all day and thoughts like this have come to my mind BUT I feel like you can not say that we are a missed window team until the window is completely closed.

This is still a loaded team and have a highly talented young QB about to go through his first full season as a starter. The offense under Kaep has been looking very good, couple that with the best front 7 in the game. Could use a couple of pieces but the window is still very much open...


Maybe true. But Justin Smith and Frank Gore are age and injury concerns. And Dashon Goldson is a FA. So there are some questions.

plus, you can guarantee that Kaepernick will demand a new contract after next season.
Originally posted by theduke85:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
1) The 49ers winning the game in the 4th quarter last year in the NFC Championship fumble 2 punts. One in the 4th quarter and one in overtime to lose a narrow game. Miss the Super Bowl. (2011)

Result = Come up short. Lost year.

2) The following year the 49ers advance 1 step further but fall hugely behind 28 - 6 by the 3rd quarter. They didn't even play the 1st two quarters. Simply horrible. Then fight all the way back and have 1st and goal at the 7 with minutes left for a chance to win the Super Bowl. They then blow all 4 plays and questionable calls. (2012)

Result = Come up short. Lost year.

A top flight team that comes up short year after year. We have seen this before. It's the BUFFALO BILLS SYNDROME. Can't close the deal.

You only have so much window and I fear we are wasting it. Justin Smith is not getting younger and already is starting to show signs of injury and wear and tear. Frank Gore is getting older and has taken a pounding over the years. Dashon Goldson is a FA again. Do we Franchise him again? Will we let him go to save money?

Everybody thought Dan Marino would be in Super Bowl after Super Bowl. But he made it only once and never again. There is no guarantee we will be back.
A great deal of what you're saying is true. We can't just ignore it, because the fact of the matter is, we may never reach the Super Bowl again with this group of guys. It could legitimately be a decade or more before we're back again.

It's easy to say, "oh, we're so close, and we're retaining most of our team -- we should be fine." But guess what? A lot of teams can say that. The Falcons will be very dangerous next year. The Packers will be too. The Seahawks may very well win the division!

The playoffs are such a crapshoot -- even if you make it, a fluke turnover or a bad break can cost a team their season. That's why, even if we're a great team, it's tough to accept a loss in the Super Bowl, because it's incredibly tough to make it there in the first place, no matter how good you are. (Hell, look at the Ravens beating the Broncos and the Patriots -- both superior teams en route to the Bowl. Who's to say some inferior steam doesn't get hot and streamroll us next year if we make the playoffs?)

Part of me thinks, "yes, our window of opportunity just slammed shut." I'm not saying that to be pessimistic or dramatic, I'm saying that because that's the reality of the NFL in the salary cap era.

Let me say this though: Kaepernik does infuse a great deal of optimism into my thought process. There is absolutely no way that Alex Smith could've dug us out of a 28-6 hole. Absolutely no way. Kaep made many throws that Smith could only dream of, and he kept plays alive with his elite scrambling ability on a handful of occasions (the 14-yard TD run especially comes to mind). Very good chance that the drive stalls for a field goal if Kaep doesn't run that in. And the scary thing, Kaep is still pretty raw.


I agree with a lot of what you are saying. And Kaep I think can be elite. He already is athletically with arm strength and scrambling ability.
Kap's biggest problem this year was inexperience...it won't be a problem next year. Get him some more weapons, bolster the D....there really aren't that many holes to plug/upgrade.

I think the outlook is great for the Niners, the scariest part about Kap is not his running ability, but his arm, some of his passes last night were amazing. He's going to kill the rest of the league next season.
You seem to have a very catastrophic opinion on this. You could be right, but the polar school of thought, one which I agree more with, thinks that a majority of our core players are still in their prime and we have yet to even see how good we can truly be. Losing the superbowl SUCKS. We've lost the mystique of never losing on the big stage. But now that it's over perhaps we can remove the emotion from our opinions.


Yes Justin Smith and Frank Gore are aging, but a majority of our team is in, or has yet to hit, their prime.

Our all-pro linebacking core [Wilis, Bowman, Brooks, and Smith], our league-best offensive line [Boone, Davis, Iupati, and Staley], 2 of our 3 stud running-backs [James an Hunter], Michael Crabtree, Vernon Davis, and, most importantly, Colin Kaepernick who has yet to have a full-season under his belt and already has experience on the game's biggest stage -- playing rather well might I add.
Aside from the Chicago game, this team has never put a complete game together. Imagine the possibilities when we do?
[ Edited by Imfasterthanur on Feb 4, 2013 at 10:00 AM ]
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by diegosydney:
Seriously ? No !

Kaep will only get better

The team is fairly young

11 Draft picks

They obviously need help in some areas but in this free agency era absolutely no way is the window closed.


1) Apparently they don't have much cap room so big name FA's are likely out.

2) We have a lot of draft picks but they are very late.

Unless I'm mistaken, there is 6M cap space in 2013.

Remove Alex's 7.5M and there's 13.5

Akers is 3M, look for that to go down/go away

Justin Smith is slated for 7.5 also.
No, not at all.

In fact, the opposite.

We improved after the Giant game and ent to the SB.

We'll improve next year and win it.

For some of us the cup is half full for others half empty. No pessimisim from me. Next year - the Super Bowl is ours.
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
We could be the next Chargers or Eagles. Always be competitive but never win the big one


They sort of remind me of the Chargers since I live here in SD and lived through their powerhouse years if you want to call it that. We get further in the playoffs. But like them we waste year after year of totally blown opportunites. With the Chargers eventually they got old at some positions, lost FA's, drafted later for lessor players and they got worse and worse. And the result is what you see today. They missed their opportunity.
I wouldn't say the window is closing but they stunk up what could be a once in a chance opportunity. Let's just loo at the Ravens. Took them 12 years to get back to the bowl.
[ Edited by lamontb on Feb 4, 2013 at 10:01 AM ]
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Maybe true. But Justin Smith and Frank Gore are age and injury concerns. And Dashon Goldson is a FA. So there are some questions.

And on the flip side of the coin, you have Kaep getting the benefits of a full off season program, the staff being able to integrate a system that fully maximizes Kaep's unique skills, and the likelihood that next year's receiver corp will not be decimated for a third season in a row.

The point being, you don't know what's going to happen next year, but with the nucleus of the team being so young, it strikes me as a bit over the top to suggest that or window is anything but wide open.
Originally posted by susweel:
i dont know


So what do you think?... More details.
Originally posted by lamontb:
I wouldn't say the window is closing but they stunk up what could be a once in a chance opportunity. Let's just loo at the Ravens. Took them 12 years to get back to the bowl.


Well that's a good example. It took them 12 years to get back. No guarantee you go every year.
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Maybe true. But Justin Smith and Frank Gore are age and injury concerns. And Dashon Goldson is a FA. So there are some questions.

And on the flip side of the coin, you have Kaep getting the benefits of a full off season program, the staff being able to integrate a system that fully maximizes Kaep's unique skills, and the likelihood that next year's receiver corp will not be decimated for a third season in a row.

The point being, you don't know what's going to happen next year, but with the nucleus of the team being so young, it strikes me as a bit over the top to suggest that or window is anything but wide open.


Kaep may be better and the offense may be better next year. There is no doubt about that. It's our D with Justin Smith I worry about and Dashon Goldson as a FA.