There are 273 users in the forums

Are the 49ers a "MISSED WINDOW" team?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
1) The 49ers winning the game in the 4th quarter last year in the NFC Championship fumble 2 punts. One in the 4th quarter and one in overtime to lose a narrow game. Miss the Super Bowl. (2011)

Result = Come up short. Lost year.

2) The following year the 49ers advance 1 step further but fall hugely behind 28 - 6 by the 3rd quarter. They didn't even play the 1st two quarters. Simply horrible. Then fight all the way back and have 1st and goal at the 7 with minutes left for a chance to win the Super Bowl. They then blow all 4 plays and questionable calls. (2012)

A top flight team that comes up short year after year. We have seen this before. It's the BUFFALO BILLS SYNDROME. Can't close the deal.

You only have so much window and I fear we are wasting it. Justin Smith is not getting younger and already is starting to show signs of injury and wear and tear. Frank Gore is getting older and has taken a pounding over the years. Dashon Goldson is a FA again. Do we Franchise him again? Will we let him go to save money?

Everybody thought Dan Marino would be in Super Bowl after Super Bowl. But he made it only once and never again. There is no guarantee we will be back.
  • Envy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
1) The 49ers winning the game in the 4th quarter last year in the NFC Championship fumble 2 punts. One in the 4th quarter and one in overtime to lose a narrow game. Miss the Super Bowl. (2011)

2) The following year the 49ers advance 1 step further but fall hugely behind 28 - 6 by the 3rd quarter. They didn't even play the 1st two quarters. Simply horrible. Then fight all the way back and have 1st and goal at the 7 with minutes left for a chance to win the Super Bowl. They then blow all 4 plays and questionable calls. (2012)

A top flight team that comes up short year after year. We have seen this before. It's the BUFFALO BILLS SYNDROME. Can't close the deal.

You only have so much window and I fear we are wasting it. Justin Smith is not getting younger and already is starting to show signs of injury and wear and tear. Frank Gore is getting older and has taken a pounding over the years. Dashon Goldson is a FA again. Do we Franchise him again? Will we let him go to save money?

Everybody thought Dan Marino would be in Super Bowl after Super Bowl. But he made it only once and never again. There is no guarantee we will be back.

SD ....really?
No. As discussed in various other threads.

End.
this thread is def a cool story bro. Remind us again about coming up short

Not the time for brutal honesty friend.
We definitely had a good chance last year vs. the Patriots with a hobbled Gronk IMO if we got there. And this year if we play the 1st 2 quarters we can win this game. The kickoff return was a dagger.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

Unfortunately it is the reality of what we are seeing. I wish we won too. But we had 2 possible legitimate shots at the Super Bowl IMO. And we completely wasted both. You don't get these every single year.
We won't know the answer to that for several years. Teams that lose the championship don't usually make it back to the superbowl after. Teams that don't win the superbowl don't usually make it back the following year either...but we've bucked one trend...just hope we don't pull a Bills if we go again next year.

We will see. On the plus side, I don't think we're losing a lot of talent...a couple of guys...but not too bad.
[ Edited by Jakemall on Feb 4, 2013 at 9:37 AM ]
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

Unfortunately it is the reality of what we are seeing. I wish we won too. But we had 2 possible legitimate shots at the Super Bowl IMO. And we completely wasted both. You don't get these every single year.

I know but this isn't a good time to talk about this.

I don't know if there is ever a good time to talk about this.

My roommate is a bills fan and he never wants to talk about that, even though its been 20+ years.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
We won't know the answer to that for several years. Teams that lose the championship don't usually make it back to the superbowl after. Teams that don't win the superbowl don't usually make it back the following year either...but we've bucked one trend...just hope we don't pull a Bills if we go again next year.

We will see. On the plus side, I don't think we're losing a lot of talent...a couple of guys...but not too bad.

We still have a certain core of very talented guys. But you can't deny how hurtful very deep playoff runs are that fizzle out into nothing. You don't get here every year. Look how good Aaron Rodgers is. He doesn't make the Super Bowl every year. Look how good Tom Brady is. He doesn't make it every year. We have got to start making it happen with these opportunities.

Not by a long shot.
0-16
Seriously ? No !

Kaep will only get better

The team is fairly young

11 Draft picks

They obviously need help in some areas but in this free agency era absolutely no way is the window closed.
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
Not by a long shot.

It's not a guarantee to get here again. We have seen the dropoff with Justin Smith out and with Justin Smith 1/2 healthy. He's getting older and has had some injuries now. Frank Gore is not getting any younger. And Dashon Goldson is a FA. A lot of questions.
We still have a certain core of very talented guys. But you can't deny how hurtful very deep playoff runs are that fizzle out into nothing. You don't get here every year. Look how good Aaron Rodgers is. He doesn't make the Super Bowl every year. Look how good Tom Brady is. He doesn't make it every year. We have got to start making it happen with these opportunities.

Tom brady and Aaron Rodgers make the playoffs every year. The team is built for that. This team is young and the window is still open.
Share 49ersWebzone