LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 258 users in the forums

Brief Assessment

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Big difference between 1987 and 2012, salary cap. Much harder to stay on top for an extended period of time. Not many owners were willing to spend like Eddie D, few now won't spend the max.
Originally posted by English:
In 1987 possibly the best team who ever played the sport got ignominiously bundled out of the playoffs by a fairly average Vikings team. They drew on that to go on to win the next two Superbowls and damned nearly the third.

So where are we?

Firstly, the last two seasons have established us in the vanguard of the NFC. May not seem much to the newcomers but its a whole load to those spit when the name TDon is mentioned.
I agree, the future is bright. There is no doubt about it.

I'm not claiming that we are in for gloom-and-doom or anything like but, that I do think it is important to remember that there is a big difference between the late 80's and now: competitive balance. Since the induction of the salary cap, there is a LOT more parity in the league, and it is much, much more difficult to stay relevant and be consistently competitive in this day in age. I think that's why losses in the NFC Championship game and the Super Bowl hurt so badly. We're only going to get so many chances, and quite frankly, this may be the closest we get for some time.
[ Edited by theduke85 on Feb 4, 2013 at 9:07 AM ]
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
This stings much worse then any playoff loss.

This was the super bowl.

7 god damn yards. SEVEN.

I agree with Staley, wtf was Roman thinking? Put the ball in Gore's hands....

From what I'm hearing it was Kap's thinking by audibling out of run plays?
Member Milestone: This is post number 600 for sacleads.
Two heart-breaking endings in two seasons. But in that time, we found a good GM, a great coach, and a very promising young franchised QB. These three pieces are the hardest pieces to find for a losing team. I don't know when this team will make it to the Super Bowl again but I like our chances.
Originally posted by paperplanemedia:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
This stings much worse then any playoff loss.

This was the super bowl.

7 god damn yards. SEVEN.

I agree with Staley, wtf was Roman thinking? Put the ball in Gore's hands....

From what I'm hearing it was Kap's thinking by audibling out of run plays?

I don't recall. I was kinda drunk at that time and also my heart was racing.

Any links?

If true, f**king KAep!
Originally posted by theduke85:
Quote:
Originally posted by English:
In 1987 possibly the best team who ever played the sport got ignominiously bundled out of the playoffs by a fairly average Vikings team. They drew on that to go on to win the next two Superbowls and damned nearly the third.

So where are we?

Firstly, the last two seasons have established us in the vanguard of the NFC. May not seem much to the newcomers but its a whole load to those spit when the name TDon is mentioned.
I agree, the future is bright. There is no doubt about it.

I'm not claiming that we are in for gloom-and-doom or anything like but, that I do think it is important to remember that there is a big difference between the late 80's and now: competitive balance. Since the induction of the salary cap, there is a LOT more parity in the league, and it is much, much more difficult to stay relevant and be consistently competitive in this day in age. I think that's why losses in the NFC Championship game and the Super Bowl hurt so badly. We're only going to get so many chances, and quite frankly, this may be the closest we get for some time.

Disagree, if you will forgive me.

The salary cap is not going to weaken us significantly for next season, IMO, and with Baalke handling things it may even make us relatively stronger as other teams get older and start losing players to FA. Baalke has locked up much of the core of this team.

Beyond one year, who knows? But next year I see us in the playoffs. A more experienced and battle-hardened team.

The cap, unlike the Policy days, will not weaken us relative to others unless we let it. Baalke needs to draft well and negotiate long term, having identified key players.
Share 49ersWebzone