LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 206 users in the forums

Defense: Your Thoughts

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Sign Osi Uymenyari as a situational pass rusher to give Aldon & Ahmad breathers and keep the rotation fresh. Justin, Ray & Aldon and Ahamd were spent all year they were exhausted. I would literally spend out of our 14 picks, i'd use 10 on defense and 2 for Oline and WR
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
NT
DE
CB
S (if Goldson isaint locked up then S jumps ahead of CB)

In that order. Expect the replacments to come through the draft.
Agree with this, but we will also look for some good freeagents. I like issac to walk draft a replacement and give franklin a call, he's can do the job and should be cheap and rotate with a rookie and Ian. But I really think we need youth along the dline were just getting old, Issac is crap and old, Justin can't play forever so we need a young buck for him to teach. And the backhalf also needs a look we need a big cb fast future number 1, Culvier will be here. My issue was brown just got abused by the bigger wr's all playoff
I think it had more to do with coach Vic, our defensive gameplan was horrible
Personally, I feel the secondary's performance was directly impacted by Justin's injury. Less pressure from the DLine was a CONTRIBUTING FACTOR but not the only reason.

Here's an interesting revire. This may or may not add to the discussion on Goldson, Carlos et al.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1518544-how-playoffs-exposed-49ers-secondary-as-a-major-liability?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=san-francisco-49ers
1. James Jones did NOT burn Goldson and Culliver. It was simply and amazing throw and catch.

2. Goldson DID get burned by Julio Jones, but there was clearly confusion there.

3. Culliver bit on the double-move on Jacoby Jones. Flacco was allowed to step up and make that throw to begin with. No push in the pocket = Quarterback's dream.

I'll add that I'm annoyed by people assuming that Goldson is always simply going for the big hit. I don't recall him missing many tackles or being out of position more than most safeties. It's a hard position to play, Goldson is outstanding.

...Maybe we're just better off not playing receivers with the last name Jones.
[ Edited by DontSitOnTheHood on Feb 8, 2013 at 10:05 AM ]
How do we address our secondary?

Likely scenerios?

What are your thoughts on:

Cuts- Rogers has been brought up and theorized to be cut in the media. Resign Goldson? Could a replacement be found in the draft?

The Draft- Who should we be targeting?

Trades- The media has linked SF to a trade for Revis.

FA- Should we let Goldson walk? Who is available and who do you want?
[ Edited by GoldandGarnet on Feb 8, 2013 at 12:07 PM ]
Our 2ndary was okay until Justin was hurt and our pass-rush suffered. Give a legit qb 5 seconds to throw the ball and he will make a pass 9 times out of 10.
Originally posted by GoldandGarnet:

Likely scenerios?

Cuts- Rogers has been brought up and theorized to be cut in the media. Resign Goldson? Could a replacement be found in the draft?

Goldson's value to this team is totally being underrated, IMO. That intimidation factor and ability to make plays is crucial to our defense. You can't simply plug in & replace one of the best safeties in the game. And he IS one of the best safeties in the game.
Clone Willis 5 times and Bowman 4 times. Play Willis and the clone Willises along the 3 DL spots, 2 ILB spots, and SS. Play Bowman and the clone Bowmans at both OLB and CB spots and FS. Championship.
like frank gore is years past wearing down because of over usage, i think the samething happened to our D, except with over half the D. need to spell the guys throughout the season next year to keep them fresh.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by grizzlyadams:
The defense clearly wasnt the same down the stretch this season. We've struggled to stop the pass the last 4-5 games. So what's the problem? What do we need to add this offseason?

Pass rush?
Corners?
Defensive line?

I also think its strange that the defense carried the team when the offense was struggling (last year & part of this year). Now that the offense has caught up, the defense has regressed. If we could put it all together, we'd be the champs tonight.

Your answer is Justin Smith. The defense went way down since basically the moment he got injured.

The defense as a whole performed more poorly than last season.

Justin Smith played very well, but wasn't nearly as dominant as in 2011, same with Ray McDonald.

Carlos Rogers and Chris Culliver both played more poorly and were hot and cold too often.

There was little to no defensive depth, too many guys played way too many snaps, that has to change.

Soap and Whitner both crapped the bed, Whitner gave up more touchdown's than any other defensive back in football, Soap was routinely abused and knocked around at the line of scrimmage. Whitner simply doesn't have the coverage skills, Soap simply isn't a good or even decent NT. He played out of his mind last season and still managed to be only average.

I like these thoughts and feel that Goldson is our strongest piece, except I'd rather have a shutdown CB, so if we were weaker at S and stronger at CB, I'd take that.

I really feel that the coaching staff needs to re-evaluate the DL rotations, and upgrade as necessary. Along with this, we need to bring some more blitz packages to the table. We are good enough overall on D to take more risks, but in order to do this, we'll need stronger secondary play.

Hope we get our act together in 2013 back there or 2013 will be a "down" year. We may have caught up on O, but I would hate to see the D regress that much.

Unfortunately, I believe we saw the best 49er team defense in 2011 that we will see in any Jim Harbaugh coached team during his tenure. I hope I'm wrong.
[ Edited by Beezy33 on Feb 8, 2013 at 1:55 PM ]
Originally posted by DontSitOnTheHood:
Originally posted by GoldandGarnet:

Likely scenerios?

Goldson's value to this team is totally being underrated, IMO. That intimidation factor and ability to make plays is crucial to our defense. You can't simply plug in & replace one of the best safeties in the game. And he IS one of the best safeties in the game.

Goldson is the most valuable player in our secondary, hands down.

I think our front 7 was not used correctly, especially after Justin Smith was not 100%. We should have done something to make up for that drop-off but we didn't. Fangio fail.

Also, I think it really says something about our pass rush, front 7, or gameplan if only one player can affect it THAT much. We seriously need to build depth at the NT/DT and ILB positions.
Justin Smith skews the level of play of the D Line. Soap is sub par, Mcdonald can be a starter but probably should be depth behind somebody more dynamic. I can't think of one non starter D lineman I am excited about.

I am hoping for somebody to push McDonald or Soap for playing time. Those guys are serviceable but the d line needs a face lift. Another situational pass rushing OLB would help during the season also to rest Aldon and Brooks.

I really don't have too many complaints about the lb's or the secondary.
Originally posted by DontSitOnTheHood:
1. James Jones did NOT burn Goldson and Culliver. It was simply and amazing throw and catch.

2. Goldson DID get burned by Julio Jones, but there was clearly confusion there.

3. Culliver bit on the double-move on Jacoby Jones. Flacco was allowed to step up and make that throw to begin with. No push in the pocket = Quarterback's dream.

I'll add that I'm annoyed by people assuming that Goldson is always simply going for the big hit. I don't recall him missing many tackles or being out of position more than most safeties. It's a hard position to play, Goldson is outstanding.

...Maybe we're just better off not playing receivers with the last name Jones.

Your partially right on Cullivers bite but Whitner was supposed to trade off with the corner that had the deep route and let Culliver help with the underneath route. Disastrous. I think we need a smart safety because Whitner just doesn't react quickly enough and he makes bad reads. The pass rush was the major issue.
[ Edited by eonblue on Feb 8, 2013 at 2:19 PM ]
Whitner wasn't nearly as good as he was last year.

When QB's threw at him, they completed 79.1 % of passes, had a 128.5 QB rating, and scored 8 TD's. All three ranked dead-last among safeties.
Share 49ersWebzone