There are 110 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Defense: Your Thoughts

Originally posted by SmileyJetson:
Originally posted by JimsSweatshirt:
Buh bye Culliver.


I hope you're just saying this in the heat of the moment. Our secondary would be atrocious without him next year

Not if you signed an upgrade FA.
First, EVERYTHING is easier said than done.Start w/DLine.

IMO, our D performance drastically changed when Justin went out in Pats game and every game after it. Next season, he'll be a year older and coming off an injury/operation. Our DLine were gassed after a number of games this year because we DON'T have a quality rotation. Tukafu[sp and Dobbs are unimpressive.

Solution: Draft 2 DE that can contribute from Day 1, or one FA & 1 Draft pick. Then we'll have people to rotate.
Solution: We need a REAL NT
Sloution: A real Cover Corner

I like Cully and he has really improved BUT - he needs a Mike Singletary moment to refocus. Do you think he could play Safety? Whittner looked slow.

I didn't want Carlos, I wanted the guy [I forget his name] who went to Cowboys from KC.

I CAN'T see us getting Revis because $$$$$$$$$$$$$ and our cap space.
Originally posted by Sourball:
Agreed. How many high floaters did Flacco just toss up out there for ridiculous completions that 49er DB's had no idea were even coming? You would have thought that at least one could have been intercepted.
There were two on their second drive of the game that baffled me.

First play, Flacco was getting pressured, scrambled back about 10-15 yards and somehow threw a perfect pass to Pitta on the sideline for an 8-yard gain.

Second one, Flacco scrambled out to his right and bombed it downfield for a 30-40 yard completion to Anquan Boldin. Both times, he was facing heavy pressure. So e managed to make brilliant throws on the run AND with pressure in his face.

Those both really impressed me.
Originally posted by SmileyJetson:
Originally posted by JimsSweatshirt:
Buh bye Culliver.


I hope you're just saying this in the heat of the moment. Our secondary would be atrocious without him next year

I wake up this morning, the drunken madman-like rage is all gone, still sad doe.

I'll give Cully another shot.
Maybe we should resign Delaine to play on defense. That tackle on ST was nasty.
In this order - either from the draft or FA:

NT - Need a fast, tough, BIG guy to occupy blockers
DE - We need TWO DE's. One to groom for Justin and another Quality DE to put in rotation. Dobbs & Tuk are at the very best mediocre. If they were better than average - they'd have been on the field more giving our starters breathers much more frequently. Biggest weakness on the team - IMO.
CB - Someone capable of covering BIG receivers
S - Guys who can hit AND cover recievers
Originally posted by JimsSweatshirt:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
I thought our secondary turned in one of the worst performances in Super Bowl history.

Buh bye Culliver.

You must not know much about the 49ers
Moreso than pass rush is our 3rd cb and whitner. Whitner is a big reason and the weak link in our secondary, and culliver is usually there in coverage but he seems to always be the one to give up the td. See last year in the playoffs and this year as well. Everybody says he is good or improving......well a better move would be to move him to strong safety and get a better cb
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
First, EVERYTHING is easier said than done.Start w/DLine.

IMO, our D performance drastically changed when Justin went out in Pats game and every game after it. Next season, he'll be a year older and coming off an injury/operation. Our DLine were gassed after a number of games this year because we DON'T have a quality rotation. Tukafu[sp and Dobbs are unimpressive.

Solution: Draft 2 DE that can contribute from Day 1, or one FA & 1 Draft pick. Then we'll have people to rotate.
Solution: We need a REAL NT
Sloution: A real Cover Corner

I like Cully and he has really improved BUT - he needs a Mike Singletary moment to refocus. Do you think he could play Safety? Whittner looked slow.

I didn't want Carlos, I wanted the guy [I forget his name] who went to Cowboys from KC.

I CAN'T see us getting Revis because $$$$$$$$$$$$$ and our cap space.

It's nice to see someone actually consider salary cap implications when entertaining this thought of signing Revis.

I like Whitner as a leader on this defense and he provides some nice hits, but unfortunately in this passing league, you're going to need two safeties that can cover. I've heard suggestions of moving Goldson to SS in 2014 after Whitner's contract expires and drafting another guy to play FS.

I like Culliver as well, but the rumors of him being a future shut down corner are greatly exaggerated, and that was even before the Super Bowl.

Right now I would focus on improving the pass rush. I think it's unrealistic to expect Aldon Smith to put up monster numbers each year, but he can be a 10+ sack guy for a few seasons with a lot of pressures and hurries if we get some help up front. Improving the line helps both Smith and the DBs because they won't have to cover as long. If we can do that, our secondary shouldn't look as bad next season and while we should draft another CB (I'm honestly in favor of drafting a CB about every year), an improved D line will buy us a season, then we can focus on the secondary at the top of the draft in 2014 or even in free agency.

Hopefully we see two 3-4 defensive ends and a guy that can dominate at NT drafted this year.

The offense should be more help to the defense in 2013 because with the direction we are headed in, I expect us to average 28 or more points per game next season, which will allow us to really turn the pass rush on since games will not be as close.
Culliver was beyond worthless on Sunday. I wouldn't cut him but I would keep him down on the depth chart and keep an eye on him. He really blew his chance to step up after making a complete ass of himself before the game.
I wouldn't cut Culliver, but I would light a fire under his ass with some draft picks.
Originally posted by grizzlyadams:
The defense clearly wasnt the same down the stretch this season. We've struggled to stop the pass the last 4-5 games. So what's the problem? What do we need to add this offseason?

Pass rush?
Corners?
Defensive line?

I also think its strange that the defense carried the team when the offense was struggling (last year & part of this year). Now that the offense has caught up, the defense has regressed. If we could put it all together, we'd be the champs tonight.
I think it begins and ends with the D-Line. J. Smith got hurt and our defense wasn't the same. A. Smith got NO sacks after J. Smith got hurt. With out J. Smith at top form our defense took a big hit. Sopo may be getting a little old and not the player he once was was either. I feel that that we didn't address the D-Line at all last year and were are thin that at that position. Considering the abuse that the down linemen take in a 3-4, I would hope that we pick up at least two or three quaility D-linemen to rotate during the game next year. What would have happened to our season if J. Smith had gotten hurt in Sept. and lost for the season?
We don't blitz, I'm okay with that, all good QBs eat blitzes for breakfast now a days anyways. Blitzing is bush league and works well on lesser teams. We depend on at least one D-linemen getting double teamed, and getting consistent pressure with four pass rushers. When Justin Smith went down suddenly teams did not need to double any one, and suddenly our corners looked awful! Justin Smith is old and getting older, we need to find his replacement quick or next season will be brutal.
[ Edited by GolittaCamper on Feb 6, 2013 at 3:34 PM ]
Originally posted by stevenking57:
Originally posted by grizzlyadams:
The defense clearly wasnt the same down the stretch this season. We've struggled to stop the pass the last 4-5 games. So what's the problem? What do we need to add this offseason?

Pass rush?
Corners?
Defensive line?

I also think its strange that the defense carried the team when the offense was struggling (last year & part of this year). Now that the offense has caught up, the defense has regressed. If we could put it all together, we'd be the champs tonight.
I think it begins and ends with the D-Line. J. Smith got hurt and our defense wasn't the same. A. Smith got NO sacks after J. Smith got hurt. With out J. Smith at top form our defense took a big hit. Sopo may be getting a little old and not the player he once was was either. I feel that that we didn't address the D-Line at all last year and were are thin that at that position. Considering the abuse that the down linemen take in a 3-4, I would hope that we pick up at least two or three quaility D-linemen to rotate during the game next year. What would have happened to our season if J. Smith had gotten hurt in Sept. and lost for the season?

People that are calling to get rid of Culliver are trippin. Dude is our most talented corner. He usually is always right there with the receiver. He has lots of potential. He didn't have a good game, neither did the rest of our secondary or defense for that matter. Donte Whitner had by far the weakest game in the secondary and he really struggles in coverage. He needs to battle for his job this offseason.