There are 172 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Defense: Your Thoughts

The defense clearly wasnt the same down the stretch this season. We've struggled to stop the pass the last 4-5 games. So what's the problem? What do we need to add this offseason?

Pass rush?
Corners?
Defensive line?

I also think its strange that the defense carried the team when the offense was struggling (last year & part of this year). Now that the offense has caught up, the defense has regressed. If we could put it all together, we'd be the champs tonight.
I think the answers to your questions depend on whether Aldon really was hurt down the stretch and how much Justin Smith was limited. If Aldon's lack of production stems from those two being a little gimpy, then aside from finding Justin's replacement we are safe focusing pretty much on the secondary. If Aldon wasn't hurt, but gets all of his stats because he has the Cowboy to occupy blockers then we probably have the most overrated 3-4 OLB in the league which is a problem. I'm guessing they were both gimpy.
I'm not gonna blame the pass rush, we got to flacco multiple times and at least collapsed the pocket. Flacco was completing passes no damn qb had the business of doing but our secondary mainly culliver can't cover for s**t. Our secondary needs to be revamped big time
NT
DE
CB
S (if Goldson isaint locked up then S jumps ahead of CB)

In that order. Expect the replacments to come through the draft.
Would love to have a nose tackle that would draw a double team most of the time. That would free up cowboy and Aldon for more one on one match ups that they could exploit. Also need some quality D-line rotation guys.
Our safteys like to make the big hits. But in placing so much into that they often are out of position and can be fooled alot on double moves and pump fakes and the like.

Gonna have to get another rusher to replace Justin and pronto! Its clear that Aldon isn't the same without a dominant guy next to him and Justing is on the way down now (still love the guy but its time to find his eventual replacement).
It's a little bit of everything, but I want to say the biggest thing is Justin Smith. He's a huge presence in the run game, and in the pass game, he's a big reason why Aldon Smith gets sacks.

But there's a lot of things... the defensive line doesn't seem to have as much push this year as they did last year. Last year, it felt like offensive lines were just getting pushed back a couple yards, just from the line's power and explosiveness. This year, not so much. I think it's because of a lack of depth at defensive line. Our starters rarely go to the bench, and I think we really need to consider rotating our guys in and out. It was especially apparent how tired our defense got after the Patriots game in the regular season.

I can't find any fault with our linebackers. They're an elite group and have played as such. You can nit-pick about linebackers getting beat by tight ends and runningbacks, but in general, that's a hard assignment. They win some and they lose some. And to be fair, they win more than most linebacking corps in the league.

Our cornerbacks are an average group. No one's really a liability, and you can tell they are well-coached. They definitely go out there, play physically, and try to contest balls. But at the same time though, none of our cornerbacks really make me feel like opposing quarterbacks are afraid of them. Shutdown cornerbacks are rare in the league, but if we had one on our team, we wouldn't have had any problems with a Julio Jones or an Anquan Boldin this year.

We have great safeties, but I think because our cornerbacks are average, we have to ask a lot from Goldson and Whitner. If they don't play a perfect game, which they haven't been able to do against the pass in the playoffs, we get what we got against the Falcons and Ravens.

I think as a whole, our defense really relies on the fact that we can get a pass-rush from our front four so that our linebackers can help out in coverage. When we can't get a good pass-rush, we're at the mercy of opposing offenses with good quarterbacks. Eventually, teams with good receivers will beat our coverages, especially if it's man.
I thought our secondary turned in one of the worst performances in Super Bowl history.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
I'm not gonna blame the pass rush, we got to flacco multiple times and at least collapsed the pocket. Flacco was completing passes no damn qb had the business of doing but our secondary mainly culliver can't cover for s**t. Our secondary needs to be revamped big time

Agreed. How many high floaters did Flacco just toss up out there for ridiculous completions that 49er DB's had no idea were even coming? You would have thought that at least one could have been intercepted.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
I thought our secondary turned in one of the worst performances in Super Bowl history.

Buh bye Culliver.
They need a shut down corner (who doesn't). The safeties get exposed by experienced quarterbacks in the passing game. Another pass rusher.
4-3 Under

Stupid to ever see Brooks or Aldon Smith dropping in coverage.
The defense has performed poorly in the past 8 weeks. It's more than Justin being hurt. They cannot put pressure on the QB and good QB's exploit so-so coverage personnel. It's that simple. We need a scheme that applies more pressure and personnel that have more impact on the line. Aldon Smith does not look like a 3 down player. Maybe he's hurt. A special defensive assistant may be a good to producing some new ideas for Fangio.
Originally posted by JimsSweatshirt:
Buh bye Culliver.

I hope you're just saying this in the heat of the moment. Our secondary would be atrocious without him next year
Cully was picked on for a reason. He had a couple PI calls and didn't play smart by getting the guy down on the long TD play, but instead just jumped over him. This won't fix the whole D and some of you are against it but I would welcome a Alex/pick for Revis. Having Revis on one side so we can roll help to the other. Remember when we had Deion?!?!?!

Also we really need depth at DL. In the 4th qt there were times when Mcdonald and J Smith weren't on the field probably because they were gased. We need to be able to rotate DL every now and then. Wasn't there a stat out there that our D starters plays almost 90%+ of the snaps? That is just too much, especially when you have to defend an offense that can move the ball like the Ravens can. Our D relies on the front 4 getting pressure. I think I heard we will be going to an 18 game season to so we need DL depth.

We need a healthy Haralson!