There are 319 users in the forums

Your reasons for why we lost

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Roman and culliver
Pointless...........
by the way, why wasn't there a hold on Jacoby kickoff return. After re-watching the game I saw two Ravens holding and grabbing on a niner so much that his jersey was basically halfway up his body???

is that not a hold penalty?
we showed our inexperience.
with 9min left take the extra point dont go for two. TOO MUCH time. Vernon was our best player get him the ball in the endzone. every great niner qb wanted that cluch factor. If that was steve young on goalline he would of kept it himselfand ran it up the middle. You have 4downs give gore or the ball. 3rd remember when montana wold always have that dump off play to rathmanif he couldnt find anyone well he should of done that to miller. 4th Kaep should of ran it bootleg to the left.
1) our defense didn't show up: just dug ourselves in too big of hole to climb out of by being down 22 points.

2) bad play calling at the goal line. Should of call more run plays, at least a outside runs and try a run with Kaep.
I couldn't believe that Jamie Dukes had an interesting point yesterday . . .

"If the 49ers complete that comeback, all anybody would be talking about today is the black-out and not the game"
Originally posted by ginseng1000:
1) our defense didn't show up: just dug ourselves in too big of hole to climb out of by being down 22 points.

2) bad play calling at the goal line. Should of call more run plays, at least a outside runs and try a run with Kaep.

I agree with both of these but looking at the time of possession for each drive, the niners had one decent drive in the first half along with turning the ball over twice in the second quarter...that's not on the defense. Our inexperience showed. There were a couple of potential interceptions on both sides that were dropped or otherwise not made so that was even.

Kaepernick seemed to be looking for Crabtree too much at the end and had Moss wide open a couple of times, once in the endzone. He has become CK's security blanket much as VD was for Smith...but CK did throw to VD early, just not at the most critical time in the endzone. Not sure what plays would have worked but at least they didn't run up the middle four times in a row!

Edit: Interesting that all three passes in the last possession, inside the ten, went to the right side.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Feb 5, 2013 at 6:55 AM ]
Originally posted by Jcool:
1. Mike Pereira ‏@MikePereira
In the melee, 29 is lucky he did not get flagged and easily could have been ejected. He shoved the Linesman.

2. Mike Pereira ‏@MikePereira
On Jacoby Jones kick return there is no holding on a double team block unless the defender is taken to the ground. He wasn't.

3. Mike Pereira ‏@MikePereira
Reed was not offisde on the try. He moved forward just as the ball was being snapped. Perfectly timed.

4. Didn't even see it happen. No idea.

5. Mike Pereira ‏@MikePereira
Tough play that is real close both ways. Good job not calling anything.

Agree with Sims. There is a quick grab and a pushoff. Not one that is going to be called. Nothing obvious in real time

6. Either way the play is a safety, so better to hold player and waste more time.

If the calls went the other way he'd spin it positively

• BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thl408:
I can tell you why the flag for question number 6 was irrelevant.

A holding call in the endzone results in a safety. BAL didn't care about being flagged for that since they were going to take a safety anyways.

Why didn't any refs throw a flag? Who cares, the game was over.

Even if they throw a flag the play continues to it's end, the time runs off and is not put back no matter what. End zone holding isn't like a false start that immediately stops play.
I say this with all respect to my fellow 49ers fans ....Lets leave it alone ....nothing will take away all these horrible feelings , all the "woulda coulda shoulda's" is not going to ease the pain we are feeling , it's sort of like rubbing salt in the wound ...the best thing we can do now is look forward to the draft , and support our team as we always have ....#6 is gone, and we need to regroup to take another shot at it next year
[ Edited by NeeJ49er on Feb 5, 2013 at 7:25 AM ]
Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by thl408:
I can tell you why the flag for question number 6 was irrelevant.

A holding call in the endzone results in a safety. BAL didn't care about being flagged for that since they were going to take a safety anyways.

Why didn't any refs throw a flag? Who cares, the game was over.

Even if they throw a flag the play continues to it's end, the time runs off and is not put back no matter what. End zone holding isn't like a false start that immediately stops play.

It's got nothing to do with the practical impact IMO. It's about integrity. How do they miss/ignore seven holds?
Originally posted by andrewglass25:
The ball was in the air when bowman was still tackling roddy white, thats not really questionable though. Look a the replay of the crabtree play. Look at jimmy smith reaction to hitting the ground, He's begging for a call. He was pushed. Thats not really questionable either though. I'll leave you with a quote from torrey smith...

"I got grabbed and held all night and almost nothing got called. That's how it went. They just let us play. And that's what they did to the end"

On flacco's roll out from 3rd and goal on the 2 he was very clearly hit a good yard and half out of bounds by the 49ers lineman... they even showed a replay and pointed it out during the game.. That would of been first and goal from the 1 with a chance to seal it. They let the players play the game. It was a over all well called game. They let alot of things go but it was on both sides. If crabtree is called or smith is called or whatever it's not for sure they get a TD. If they do the ravens have plenty of time and a hot QB moving easily on that D and only in need of a FG. This game was called the same both ways.

Have you ever watched a football game before? Do you know anything about it? Just because things weren't called both ways doesn't mean it was well officiated... The refs let things get out of hand early and did a terrible job the rest of the game. Now, I'm not blaming the loss on the refs but, they were horrible.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erReign:
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
Originally posted by Jcool:
1. Mike Pereira ‏@MikePereira
In the melee, 29 is lucky he did not get flagged and easily could have been ejected. He shoved the Linesman.

2. Mike Pereira ‏@MikePereira
On Jacoby Jones kick return there is no holding on a double team block unless the defender is taken to the ground. He wasn't.

3. Mike Pereira ‏@MikePereira
Reed was not offisde on the try. He moved forward just as the ball was being snapped. Perfectly timed.

4. Didn't even see it happen. No idea.

5. Mike Pereira ‏@MikePereira
Tough play that is real close both ways. Good job not calling anything.

Agree with Sims. There is a quick grab and a pushoff. Not one that is going to be called. Nothing obvious in real time

6. Either way the play is a safety, so better to hold player and waste more time.

Only one real questionable response from Pereira is #2 since when does holding only count if a player is taken to the ground? Is that some sort of kickoff/special teams rule? The others for the most part he is right. Doesn't matter anymore but its highly unlikely Ravens win another Super Bowl for a while.

Miller wasn't held. He was double teamed.
I see than same thing happening to Miller all the time during pass blocking, seems they will only call holding if the defender is pulled to the ground or grabbed after he breaks free of the wrestling match. They should change the perception of holding back to not allowing any grabbing or wrapping around of the arms, that would take the judgement call out of the equation.
Share 49ersWebzone