There are 52 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Your reasons for why we lost

Originally posted by ssahnan:
memory is pretty hazy from drinking but my impression was just that wins hide, losses expose flaws and we been playing with a struggling defense for quite a string of games now beginning from the pats game. that and frankly, qbs win superbowls, plain and simple. Flacco made plays, for most of the game, Kaep didn't. I've always found Roman's play calling frustrating, this game didn't change that. officiating was frustrating as well but end of the day the bottom line is John had his team ready to play 4 quarters of football, he was calm, collected, professional, class. For two games in a row, Jim had a team in reaction mode.

sucks, so much of that game is hazy yet I will never watch it again. with just the nature of the superbowl, at 38 years of age, its not out of the real of possibility I just saw the niners in my last superbowl. It's so difficult to get there, great teams often don't get there. You have to win it when you get the rare chance.

i agree with this. i'm not saying we won't go back, but its f**king hard, we've got a good team, but i'm not even convinced we'll win our own division next season. the competition is tough in the nfc. this season was sb or bust for me the moment we lost that giants game in the playoffs. what a ride this season was, i enjoyed the chase, but its such a grind, i'm not sure i can emotionally invest in a season like i did this past one. might take a step back from intensely following this teams every move and watch from more of a distance and focus on some other aspects of my life.
The KO return was "THE" backbreaker.

Not scoring and settling for 2 FG.
Originally posted by 9erfreak:
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Because it's okay to run a toss up to win the Super Bowl. But to pass on 3rd down is just unheard of. Hey lets throw a prayer for the super bowl, but a draw on 3rd and medium.

That was 2nd and 2 for the draw play(didnt like the call either), 3rd down was the roll-out and pass to Crabtree, followed by a toss up for 4th down. Should have been defensive holding at least, but whatever, should have never had to come down to that play, we tried to play to many 30 minute games Vs Falcons and Ravens in the last 2 games and 22 points was too much to come back from. Defensive secondary fell apart in the post season, they shouldnt be giving up that many points period. Too many blown coverages resulting in easy TDs and failed to tighten up in redzone (unlike much of last season) and hold teams to FGs.

I agree with your post but I was talking about earlier in the game. We ran a draw on 3rd and 15, then we also ran a draw on like 3rd an 7 after Kaep threw his interception. My thought at the time was, what kind of confidence does that display in your players? Honestly, you have Kaep out there for a reason and this is the SB, but you are going to play not to lose the game? That's why we lost. Playing not to lose.
Originally posted by pickle:
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
1. Kaep in the first half.... ( we used to get on Smith for this, but we cant just glorify what was done at the end, and erase what wasnt done in the beginning.

2. Wr's getting open.... I dont know who had a good day, but soo many times throughout the game i heard no one was open.

3. Dropped balls. there were at least 3 that cost us big. the one vernon had his hands on and dropped. the one that crabs had then dropped, and that last one to crabs where he should of known he was gonna get lit up, and held onto the ball.

4. Defense.... they bend and held throughout the whole game. We didnt sustain crap till after the power outage. Then i swear i heard this before, we scored fast as hell to bring us back i think within 2 scores. Dont get me wrong, we needed the points, but there were a few games this season, where we scored too fast, without giving the D rest.

5. Playcalling.... I'm a little tired of hearing about this. The playcalling is Roman and Harbs. even if they say it's just one of them, what i see is that they both have their hands in it. Just like Roman said after a loss with Kaep at center. It wasnt the playcalling, it was the execution. I noticed at one point, after kaeps int, they kind of took it out of his hands of throwing for a while. I remember on the next series even the announcers said yeah they ran on the third long down, because the double move that kaep made, showed that he was a little rattled. all in the first half. On the last series, is it really that hard to figure out. Harbs like he has done all season, made his mind up that they wanted that final TD from kaep's arms. Are we really that surprised. He didnt want it in Gore's hands. Do i know that for a fact, no. But i mean he hade the QB switch cuz he believe in it, and he helped call those plays at the end. We cant say when it favors us, the call is good, then when it fails, it's bad. He made a decision and has to live with it.

6. Refs--- listen, there where blown plays all game, on both sides of the ball. That last drive by us at the end was a good no call, because both players, crabs and the dback where goin at each other. and u cant leave any moment of the SB in the refs hands.

Overall, we got shut down, the first half thats what lost us this game. All the kaepernicking, and crabs lights out, and Gore just willing those running drives were non existent before the outage. Coming back at the end, yeah that was nice, but who cares really. Should of showed up, when it mattered most, and that was at kickoff.
The only problem I have is number 6. The non-call decided the game. Throwing a flag would not have. The niners still would have had to make a play to win. Therefore, a ref NOT calling a clear holding penalty DID decide the game. Yes, we should never have let it get to that, but the lack of a call ended any chance whatsoever, and therefore, is a legitimate reason for the loss.

I agree that the whole team played like crap for the first half of the game. The fumble by LMJ really hurt because the offense was clicking on that drive and it just killed momentum. Then Kaepernick throwing the INT on the next possession really deflated the team. I don't know what's going on with the defense, but it needs to get fixed this offseason. Too many times they hit Flacco or Rice behind the line of scrimmage, and let them wriggle away, and it was usually for a big play. Blown coverages in the secondary didn't help either. Like many others, I am scratching my head on the playcalling during the last series. Our run game was killing the Ravens defense, and we throw it with goal to go? Why not line up in the pistol and make the defense guess who's getting the ball. Put the ball in Gore's hands and let our offensive line maul their way into the end zone.

Now, the full force of my ire and disdain is directed toward the officials. I've never seen such a one-sided game called. I believe the Ravens had two penalties called the entire game, and that was only because they were blatant: the roughing the passer and the running into the kicker (which should have been roughing). A third one was off-set because the 49ers committed a penalty as well.

The offensive pass interference no-call killed what could have been a game-changing interception by Culliver, but the refs blew it.

Michael Crabtree had a no-call for defensive pass interference that would have resulted in a huge gain, but the refs blew it.

Vernon Davis made a nice catch down the sideline and was knocked out of bounds, then got nailed by a Ravens player for a late hit out of bounds, but the refs blew it.

On the kickoff to open the second half, Bruce Miller was in a bear-hug sandwich by two Ravens players as Jones ran right by him, but the refs blew it. If the holding call is made, the TD comes off the board, the Ravens are penalized 10 yards from the spot of the foul, and start around their 10-15 yard line. Could have completely altered the game altogether.

Ed Reed jumping offsides on the two point conversion would have given the 49ers the ball at the 1-yard line, but the refs blew it.

Holding in the end zone by the Ravens during the punt, but the refs blew it.

These are just some of the examples I can think of off the top of my head. I recognize that the 49ers essentially defeated themselves with poor execution. That being said, all of the above no-calls by the officials would have turned this game around. If I was the 49ers, I would review the game footage and file a formal protest with the league on the plethora of blown calls. I understand the officials can't call everything during a game, but some of these no-calls were obvious and changed the outcome of the game.

The 49ers simply need to come out next season and utterly destroy teams so the officials have no effect on the game.

Dan
49ers Fan in NC
  • oku9
  • Veteran
I am living in finland and has be 49ns fan sins i see Joe the goat play at 1989 SB. This was hartbreakin loss to my but you now what? I am so exaiting to think what we gona do next season!!! CMON HO BASOBILI CAN HAVE BETER THEN OSSS!!! Just win 3 game a row and we gona be SB champion 2014!!!(we gona N1 seed for sure)

PS sory all of my type mistake. I am fhinnis all an all;)
i can objectively look at this game and realize we played like s**t. in the playoffs you generally need to play an entire 60 mintues to get the job done. sometimes u can fall behind and bail yourself out like we did in atlanta, but its not something to get in the habit of doing. my whole gripe with the seahawks fan base is how they say the refs cost them the sb, when reality is they didnt play well enough to win. its really sad to see some 49er fans act like the refs cost us this game. how about the alledged best team in football show up and play like it?
I agree with your post but I was talking about earlier in the game. We ran a draw on 3rd and 15, then we also ran a draw on like 3rd an 7 after Kaep threw his interception. My thought at the time was, what kind of confidence does that display in your players? Honestly, you have Kaep out there for a reason and this is the SB, but you are going to play not to lose the game? That's why we lost. Playing not to lose.

Oh, yeah completely agree, conservative play calls for sure on 3rd and long, while John Harb was airing it out on 3rd & long. We waited to long to "unleash the Kaep" Hated both of those calls of run on 3rd and long, and to no suprise both game back to bite us. I think Jim just might be alittle intimidated by older brother John.
Disappointed... but excited, at least the dark ugly days of Nowin, Singletary, are behind us, hopefully the team (players & coaches) learn from this and come out swinging and more inspired, rather than waiting till 3rd quarter to wake up. Got a great core group of players and (i'd like to think a up and coming elite QB) time to own the NFC West for the next 6+ years. Any game(s) beyond week 17 makes me happy and proud.
Originally posted by crabman82:
i can objectively look at this game and realize we played like s**t. in the playoffs you generally need to play an entire 60 mintues to get the job done. sometimes u can fall behind and bail yourself out like we did in atlanta, but its not something to get in the habit of doing. my whole gripe with the seahawks fan base is how they say the refs cost them the sb, when reality is they didnt play well enough to win. its really sad to see some 49er fans act like the refs cost us this game. how about the alledged best team in football show up and play like it?

Playing the game like there where only 2 quarters, and conservative play calling lost us the game. It's our fault if we put the game in the refs hands can't rely on calls as a exuse EVER, got to go out and execute for 4 quarters, and we failed to do so.

Congrats to the Ravens they wanted it more, we can't continue to spot teams 17 & 22 points and expect a "W"
Originally posted by 9erfreak:

Oh, yeah completely agree, conservative play calls for sure on 3rd and long, while John Harb was airing it out on 3rd & long. We waited to long to "unleash the Kaep" Hated both of those calls of run on 3rd and long, and to no suprise both game back to bite us. I think Jim just might be alittle intimidated by older brother John.
Disappointed... but excited, at least the dark ugly days of Nowin, Singletary, are behind us, hopefully the team (players & coaches) learn from this and come out swinging and more inspired, rather than waiting till 3rd quarter to wake up. Got a great core group of players and (i'd like to think a up and coming elite QB) time to own the NFC West for the next 6+ years. Any game(s) beyond week 17 makes me happy and proud.

thats how i felt after last years loss to the giants in the playoffs. this season just seems like a failure to me. we won the div be half a game, i wouldnt expect to be owning the west for the next half decade considering the team who was right behind us s**t kicked us last time
I think our redzone offense killed us. Roman got outcoached in the redzone, so we had to sttle for field goals rather than TD's.

The play that killed us wasn't the kick return to start the second half, it was the failed 2 point conversion that put pressure on us to score a TD instead of having the option to tie the game with a field goal at the end. the 2 point attempt looked just like our last offensive series at the end of the game!

We didn't go into any of those jumbo packages, we became the sprint option/goaline fade team when we got inside the 10 yard line. This stuff hadn't worked for us all year!

I am still in a state of shock, but I see a real issue with our coaching staff finishing off tight games. Two weeks ago we couldn't run the clock out and had to punt the ball back to the Falcons (thank god Ryan was hurt and couldn't throw the bomb to Jones or White).

We are a bully team that sort of goes into a shell if the other team can punch back!
I think that these were the two biggest plays in the game:

1. 2nd and goal early in the game. We are down 7-0. Kaep scrambles out to his right, fires to the end zone, and Crabs drops a (difficult) catch. Ball deflects just out of reach of Randy Moss (oh, and, Moss was wide open I think). Instead of tying the game at 7, we settle for a field goal. 7-3, Ravens.

2. Ravens had the ball at about our 30-yard line in the second quarter. We sack Flacco, knocking the Ravens out of field goal range and get the ball back. We start marching offensively, and LMJ fumbles on first down. That was a killer. We either would've been going up 10-7, or at worst, kicked a field goal to make it a 7-6 game. Instead, the Ravens scored on the turnover and made it a 14-3 game.

The problem is that, by letting the game slip away, the 49ers had to be perfect for the rest of the game. And although they played extremely well in the second half, they had dug themselves way too deep of a hole, and even a single miscue was going to doom them.
There are too many reasons. We came up short. We dug a huge hole. Stormed back to the doorstep of victory and fell on our face. Should have fed Frank at the end.
1) LMJ's fumble hurt a lot and they had momentum.
2) Kap threw a pick right after that, and then they got conservative. Two turnovers is pretty tough to overcome.
3) ST's gave up a touchdown. Everyone was worried about Akers, but that's not where the let down happened.

Plus, Ravens had a few boofs that made the game closer. They failed on a fake FG attempt, they ran into the K after Akers missed and they let Ginn get a big return.
The 2 ducks Flacco threw up that our secondary could not read.
Has anyone mentioned on the last drive at the 7, we had two TOs and with the playclock at .01, Harbaugh calls TO. It was a terrible decision IMO, because if Harbaugh and Roman are on the same page and we are going to throw the ball on all downs anyway, then Harbaugh should have ate the five yards, which would've been better for our passing game anyway. That would have given us two TOs to have in pocket in the chance that we didnt score, we would have gotten the ball back with .44+ seconds instead of .04.

f**k