There are 104 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Tough to Swallow, but One of Many for Years to Come

• Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by truekingcarlos:
Originally posted by MontanaSBGod:
Alex Smith will live in 49er lore forever with the Saints game last year.

Kaep would be remember as the first SB loser in 49er history.

Ironic, isn't it?

That is what you call.

KARMA!
Yup.
The Smith haters got their wish, unfortunately it likely cost us a Superbowl...

a) Smith gave us 5 years of losses and fired coaches
b) Kaep singlehandedly beat the Pack in the playoffs. If Alex were playing that game, the team would have been watching the NFC playoffs (much less the superbowl) from the comfort of their couches at home.
  • Envy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by HudsonValley:
It will be even more joyous if we win it after all this. Goes through the Smith / Kaep saga, building our way to greatness, then cementing ourselves as the greatest in 2013 will be a beautiful feeling.

But for now, Im exhausted. Took some major fatigue watching the playoffs this year, having to watch our team comeback from 7 down, 17 down, and almost 28-6 down. Need to get away from football for a while.

A lot of people need to get away from football. Most of them on here
Through all of the realism, pessimism, and optimism in this thread, there are some good points that have been brought up.

I for one do not take going to the Super Bowl for granted and even though I think we will be a contender next year, I am not counting on us making the Super Bowl. It's just not something you can bank on. Many really, really good teams miss it. See the 1990, 1992, and 1998 49ers for example.

I think we are more like the 1966 Kansas City Chiefs or the 1971 Dolphins. I know this was a long time ago, but the point is they were young teams, built to win for years to come. I also don't think Baalke will ignore the glaring needs our team has. He never has. Even if you don't care for the guy he drafts (AJ Jenkins over another more known WR, Aldon Smith over Robert Quinn, or Davis over Bulaga), history has shown that he will address the biggest need and the pick will pan out. So in spite of the 0-0-0 stat sheet on the year for AJ Jenkins, I expect him to pan out as well as whatever defensive line and DB players we draft.

I don't know if we are going to the Super Bowl next year, but we will certainly be in the mix. If you had to do a ranking of the top teams in the NFC, I'd put us or Seattle at the top, followed by Washington and Atlanta. Green Bay and New Orleans are always there, but are too weak defensively to compete at the moment. So the onus is on Baalke to continue to manage the cap well and draft well. Somehow we are going to have to get better with the pass rush and get better in the secondary. We have a lot of picks, so this should be a very exciting offseason.

Also, a poster said we should've capitalized while the rest of the division was in the cellar. That was last season (2011). I expect us to actually be a better team because of the dog fight we will be in playing in the NFC West.
We can't avoid the secondary and DL any more. Also we have to get another pass rusher period.
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by philosoraptor:
Look at the Super Bowl losers of the modern era. None come back to win a Super Bowl. Lets face it, that was our shot. We need to rebuild, and overhaul to make it backs. This team is gonna be beat up next year.

We need to rebuild? LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I agree with philsoraptor. Gore and J. Smith are close to retirement age. The defensive backfield is suspect. The team needs a true WR #2, and who knows whether or not Hunter will fully recover from his injury. Addressing those areas require more than a few tweaks.
Originally posted by fastforward:
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by philosoraptor:
Look at the Super Bowl losers of the modern era. None come back to win a Super Bowl. Lets face it, that was our shot. We need to rebuild, and overhaul to make it backs. This team is gonna be beat up next year.

We need to rebuild? LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I agree with philsoraptor. Gore and J. Smith are close to retirement age. The defensive backfield is suspect. The team needs a true WR #2, and who knows whether or not Hunter will fully recover from his injury. Addressing those areas require more than a few tweaks.

okay then that's tweaking. not re-building. get it right.
it hurts, suck it up. Winning the superbowl next year is only gonna be that much sweeter
We all put in so much time and emotion into this team for the sweet payoff.......the sweet payoff of winning a superbowl, it can only be the sweetest when you put your heart into it fully

lot of us on this forum have done that for years.......but i'm not gonna lie, today hurts. I am trying not to think about it but it brings some tears to my eyes when I think about how close we were. I feel for Frank Gore and Justin Smith. It hurts so much more because as we got down to the goal line I could sense the victory, it was going to happen we weren't going to be denied...

Our offensive line was BLASTING the ravens backwards we wanted it more, our run game was killing it.....I felt the elation of a sweet payoff entering my mind as we got down to the 7yd line and BOOM in a matter of 4 confusing plays at the goal line it was all over.

No, we didn't stay aggressive and let our O-Line continue to bully the ravens, instead we started backing up and pass protecting.

It hurts....it hurts bad. The countless hours I've poured into this team hoping for the final sweet payoff of a superbowl victory, the special feeling that only true fandom can experience of winning...the feeling where you feel like you are part of the team, you feel like you won the championship born out of the countless hours of reading every beat writer article, watching every press conference video of every player/coach that is posted online....watching every game and then re-watching them during the week.

Those are the true fans, and for us the super bowl win will be that much sweeter, we have to suck it up today...as Jim would say SUCK IT UP and carry on, carry on to next year and do it all again w/ the hope of the sweet payoff

But today it hurts, i've been in tears 3-4x already when I allow my mind to focus and think about what just happened last night
I don't want to hear about our "great" season from anybody. This season was not great it was absolutely horrible terrible trash worthless season ever. Going 0-16 is a much better season than this one and both of them net the same amount of superbowl trophies.
Originally posted by iLL49er:
We all put in so much time and emotion into this team for the sweet payoff.......the sweet payoff of winning a superbowl, it can only be the sweetest when you put your heart into it fully

lot of us on this forum have done that for years.......but i'm not gonna lie, today hurts. I am trying not to think about it but it brings some tears to my eyes when I think about how close we were. I feel for Frank Gore and Justin Smith. It hurts so much more because as we got down to the goal line I could sense the victory, it was going to happen we weren't going to be denied...

Our offensive line was BLASTING the ravens backwards we wanted it more, our run game was killing it.....I felt the elation of a sweet payoff entering my mind as we got down to the 7yd line and BOOM in a matter of 4 confusing plays at the goal line it was all over.

No, we didn't stay aggressive and let our O-Line continue to bully the ravens, instead we started backing up and pass protecting.

It hurts....it hurts bad. The countless hours I've poured into this team hoping for the final sweet payoff of a superbowl victory, the special feeling that only true fandom can experience of winning...the feeling where you feel like you are part of the team, you feel like you won the championship born out of the countless hours of reading every beat writer article, watching every press conference video of every player/coach that is posted online....watching every game and then re-watching them during the week.

Those are the true fans, and for us the super bowl win will be that much sweeter, we have to suck it up today...as Jim would say SUCK IT UP and carry on, carry on to next year and do it all again w/ the hope of the sweet payoff

But today it hurts, i've been in tears 3-4x already when I allow my mind to focus and think about what just happened last night

Sorry bro. What you are feeling is a memory of bad feelings from last night.

Try getting drunk when watching the game so you numb those sad feelings and also you won't remember them as much.
Yeah I didn't drink yesterday, watched game Sober to relish every moment of the sweet payoff
Originally posted by BayArea:
I don't want to hear about our "great" season from anybody. This season was not great it was absolutely horrible terrible trash worthless season ever. Going 0-16 is a much better season than this one and both of them net the same amount of superbowl trophies.

You didn't enjoy this playoff run? I did.

It sucks to lose but it would suck even more to watch the Seahawks in the playoffs while we are sitting at home. The last two weeks have been exiting and great.

It just ended up as a fail. But don't forget the journey.

If it makes you feel better, Walsh and Montana didn't make the playoffs and win it until year three. We have a two year head start in post season experience.
Originally posted by iLL49er:
Yeah I didn't drink yesterday, watched game Sober to relish every moment of the sweet payoff

That's what I was afraid of doing.

But damn, even after going down 28-6? You are a trooper.
  • IT21
  • Veteran
I know it sounds stupid and childish but they got lucky

A kick return for TD to open the half
LaMichael's fumble and Kaep's stupid overthrow INT
Holding call on the kick return was BAD
The obvious holding call on the last play of the drive
All the sudden our secondary can't knock a ball down, wtf
We were in position to win but we had stupid play calling

The fact that EVERYTHING went the Ravens way and we were still in position to win with 2 minutes left in the game shows how bad the Ravens are IMO.
That team is not better than the 49ers, I really think we'd beat them 9 times out of 10.
  • IT21
  • Veteran
Originally posted by socalniner:
it hurts, suck it up. Winning the superbowl next year is only gonna be that much sweeter

I remember when I said that last year