There are 159 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Who has the bigger task on sunday Roman or Fangio?

We need to be on our game on both sides of the ball....
Originally posted by A9R4Life:
BOTH!!!

This. Takes great playcalling from both sides for us to win this game.
I think we've already beaten better teams in the playoffs. The Ravens defense isn't nearly as good as they used to be, though I can see them getting maybe one or two turnovers (Ed Reed is sneaky).

Roman just basically needs to do what he's been doing. Scheme for long drives to chew up the clock and wear out the defense.

We'll be fine.
Fangio - gotta manufacture pressure if we can't get there with the base 4. Lots of blown coverages with the S's and CB's playing WAY off (can't do that with the Ravens) and chewing up the clock. Also, we still can NOT cover a freaking TE in the EZ. Ever.

Roman should be able to destroy the Ravens with VD, speed on the outside with James & CK and hopefully Gore in between the T's. I also think we can exploit them on deep balls to Moss and with underneath quick hitters with Crabtree. And b/c of their aggressive nature, I would love to see fly-sweeps/reverses with Ginn/Jenkins. And please, bring back the roll-right, toss back to a wide open VD on the other side of the field! Seam route?
[ Edited by NCommand on Jan 29, 2013 at 11:35 AM ]
The Ravens.
Fangio- gotta generate a constant pass rush
Fangio has the tougher task. Roman's gameplan isn't going to change. He's going to go into the game with an open mind and see what the BAL defense is keying on. He will adjust accordingly. I'd have to think he came into the ATL game with the same approach.

This is the first offense the 49er have faced this season with a premier RB duo, solid WR corp, and a good QB. The biggest difference between the ATL receiving corp and the BAL receiving corp is that ATL's (Jones/White) are both deep threats whereas Torrey Smith is the only deep threat for BAL. This allows the deep safety (Goldson) to help on Torrey Smith's side of the field and not have to worry about Boldin going deep. Generating a good pass rush while also devoting alot of attention to Rice/Pierce will be a big challenge.
I'd say Roman has the bigger chore. Fangio doesn't really call an overaggressive, creative defense. The defense is just well-coached and plays their responsibilities appropriately. On defense, they'll win if they can stop the run and the secondary plays disciplined against the deep pass. Fangio's job this week is to just keep the guys even-keeled, disciplined, and fundamentally sound.

Offensively, it's a trickier gameplan. There's so many variables in putting the game-plan together.
How creative/simple are we going to be?: We don't want to get too cute, and "ice" ourselves, putting ourselves in bad position.

Who is our gameplan going to revolve around?: Will we try to focus on getting it to Gore, VD, Crabtree? Will we try and run it with Kaeperick? What's the focus? The Ravens will undoubtedly try to take something away, and their gameplan WILL eliminate one of the above four. That offensive balance, in my opinion, is the hardest part of the 49ers offensive gameplan.

I personally think that, while the gameplan is important, it will only matter in the first quarter. From there, it will be about how the two teams adapt over the course of the game. The teams know eachother so well, between having similar styles, their game last year, and the coaches being brothers. It's about what the coaches decide in quarters 2, 3, and 4.
Originally posted by Irish40Niner:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Whole different animal in ATL. Loud dome, east coast game, and Matt Ryan is probably a top 5 QB as far as pure ability. The Falcons also have FAR better pass catchers. Ryan to Julio Jones, Roddy White, and Tony Gonzalez is about as scary at it gets for defenses. Especially on the road.

Flacco to Boldin, Smith, and Jones is still formidable, but as long as we contain the deep ball with safety help, and snuff out the running game, they will be manageable.

When it comes down to it, were better. We lose this game if we fail to execute. Kap said it, SF is prepared and focused. As long as we make our blocks and perform, were going to beat them. Were better, were younger, were faster, and we certainly arent any less physical.

I totally agree.

I agree also. But it's a point that the opposing team has scored first in the Niners' last four games: Seattle, Cardinals, GB, Falcons. How much do we emphasize the run in the first drive?
Im going with our Special Teams . . . . . especially the kicking department.
Both of their rolls are important but if I had to choice one i would have to flip the coin and say Fangio. Our Defense at all cost must stop the Ravens from scoring and let our offense do what it does best and grow as the game goes. We keep Ravens Offensive score down then the game is ours. My biggest fear is it becomes a clutch game and that is where the Ravens time and time again have prevailed. We need a come out big and if we can enter the forth quarter with a 14 points lead then it will make Flacco sole provider to win the game. I seen him crack multiple times under pressure and make huge mistakes offensive but it was his Defense that saved him. If we play on fire 49er defense and make Flacco pass then we have a great chance to winning the game. I know his long passing is a threat but we have encountered that time and time again, and I see our secondary holding up and allowing the pressure to cause havoc resulting in mental mistakes on Flacco.

Red and Gold forever
Roman
Originally posted by Wubbie:
I'd say Roman has the bigger chore. Fangio doesn't really call an overaggressive, creative defense. The defense is just well-coached and plays their responsibilities appropriately. On defense, they'll win if they can stop the run and the secondary plays disciplined against the deep pass. Fangio's job this week is to just keep the guys even-keeled, disciplined, and fundamentally sound.

Offensively, it's a trickier gameplan. There's so many variables in putting the game-plan together.
How creative/simple are we going to be?: We don't want to get too cute, and "ice" ourselves, putting ourselves in bad position.

Who is our gameplan going to revolve around?: Will we try to focus on getting it to Gore, VD, Crabtree? Will we try and run it with Kaeperick? What's the focus? The Ravens will undoubtedly try to take something away, and their gameplan WILL eliminate one of the above four. That offensive balance, in my opinion, is the hardest part of the 49ers offensive gameplan.

I personally think that, while the gameplan is important, it will only matter in the first quarter. From there, it will be about how the two teams adapt over the course of the game. The teams know eachother so well, between having similar styles, their game last year, and the coaches being brothers. It's about what the coaches decide in quarters 2, 3, and 4.

If the ravens follow the blueprint from their last meeting, they were super aggressive, I think they get burned and i'm sure Roman is prepared
Originally posted by BadgerHawk:
While the Patriots didn't score in the 2nd half versus New England I think that was more of a product of shooting themselves in the foot. We're going to be able to score. Like I said last night, its going to come down to pressuring Flacco.