LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 291 users in the forums

How many Qb hits do we have in the playoffs?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I keep seeing and hearing so much talk that our defensive line isn't what it used to be. When I was watching the games I was never concerned or wondering where our pass rush was because it appeared to be there both games. We played two good offenses with good coaches and qbs, and both games they both knew that getting rid of the ball quickly had to be a major part of their game plan. In fact kudos to Atlanta for having such a great game plan utilizing a lot of shotgun, getting the ball out quickly, and throwing predominantly outside to take away our pass rush, linebackers, and safeties. I can't find the stats for pressures and hits on the qbs, but it still seemed like there was 10-15 hits on each qb, which is really good considering how quickly the ball has been getting out. Does anybody know the stats for qb hits for the last 2 games?
Originally posted by mcsharty:
I keep seeing and hearing so much talk that our defensive line isn't what it used to be. When I was watching the games I was never concerned or wondering where our pass rush was because it appeared to be there both games. We played two good offenses with good coaches and qbs, and both games they both knew that getting rid of the ball quickly had to be a major part of their game plan. In fact kudos to Atlanta for having such a great game plan utilizing a lot of shotgun, getting the ball out quickly, and throwing predominantly outside to take away our pass rush, linebackers, and safeties. I can't find the stats for pressures and hits on the qbs, but it still seemed like there was 10-15 hits on each qb, which is really good considering how quickly the ball has been getting out. Does anybody know the stats for qb hits for the last 2 games?

I am sure we got a lot of pressure. Matt Ryan let that ball go in or under 2 seconds a lot of times. Then once things stopped going so perfect for them in the second half, he began to hold it a little longer and it finally appeared as if we were pressuring him.
Fangio is keeping a balance of pressure and coverage with only 4 guys up front. This may not translate into a lot of sacks in most game situation, but that combo can net a momentum changing INT, like the one Cully had of Ryan. Not like he can't call up a blitz, but don't want to do that too often either.

Against a good offensive team, you don't want to put all your eggs in one basket, like getting to the passer. Their offense is capable of having a guy that can throw the ball and guys that can get open quick and catch the ball. Make the completion before your guys can get there. The important thing is to have guys in the secondary around them to make the tackle and not let them run free.

The Niners offense in the 80's and 90's made a living off of YAC.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Jan 25, 2013 at 10:23 AM ]
ATL has a much better O-Line then the Ravens do, and as other ppl have mentioned, Ryan is a lot better getting rid of the ball then Flacco is. With an extra 2 weeks for J.Smith to rest and for our whole defense to prepare for their offense, I would be shocked if we didn't hit and pressure Flacco throughout the game, not just in 1 half like against ATL. (that being the 2nd half) Expect us to at least get 2 to 3 sacks on him and force a lot of rushed/costly throws i.e. an INT or 2. Flacco isn't that great with pressure in his face, so the more pressure we apply, the better it will be getting them off the field and keeping them out of the endzone.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Fangio is keeping a balance of pressure and coverage with only 4 guys up front. This may not translate into a lot of sacks in most game situation, but that combo can net a momentum changing INT, like the one Cully had of Ryan. Not like he can't call up a blitz, but don't want to do that too often either.

Against a good offensive team, you don't want to put all your eggs in one basket, like getting to the passer. Their offense is capable of having a guy that can throw the ball and guys that can get open quick and catch the ball. Make the completion before your guys can get there. The important thing is to have guys in the secondary around them to make the tackle and not let them run free.

Wanna talk about that Culliver INT. Was awesome. Roddy White did not slip. Ryan began his progression to the left and White was his 2nd option. White curled straight down or slightly to the right from the top of his route. Since it was a 2nd read and Ryan was progressing from the other side of the field, he didn't have time to anticipate White's adjustment or Ryan anticipated White to curl slightly toward the middle. Cully jumped Roddy's inside shoulder which was exactly where Ryan placed the ball.

Freaking thing of beauty. Same goes for Willis undercutting White's route on that 4th and 4 to force White to move below the 1st down. Still think Willis should deserve all the credit for that one more than Bowman because if Willis doesn't undercut it, Ryan throws it right when Bowman was still giving White a chuck. Possible PI or Ryan throws it high for a jump catch.
[ Edited by Joecool on Jan 25, 2013 at 11:12 AM ]
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

Wanna talk about that Culliver INT. Was awesome. Roddy White did not slip. Ryan began his progression to the left and White was his 2nd option. White curled straight down or slightly to the right from the top of his route. Since it was a 2nd read and Ryan was progressing from the other side of the field, he didn't have time to anticipate White's adjustment or Ryan anticipated White to curl slightly toward the middle. Cully jumped Roddy's inside shoulder which was exactly where Ryan placed the ball.

Freaking thing of beauty. Same goes for Willis undercutting White's route on that 4th and 4 to force White to move below the 1st down. Still think Willis should deserve all the credit for that one more than Bowman because if Willis doesn't undercut it, Ryan throws it right when Bowman was still giving White a chuck. Possible PI or Ryan throws it high for a jump catch.

Yeah, good rundown of those 2 plays. Cully made a break on the ball to make that INT. He made the play. It wasn't any mistake by Ryan or White to cause that INT. If White hadn't slip maybe he could have broken up the INT. But Cully was already on it before White slipped. Helluva play by Cully It almost looks like Cully backed off on coverage to bait, then broke on the ball that was thrown to the inside.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Jan 25, 2013 at 12:09 PM ]
Pass rush in the 1st half of games have been a concern. Guys just not winning many 1 on 1 match ups up front. Last year Raymac and Smith pretty much thrived in these situations. Ravens o line has been great sense they put Mckinnie in at LT. I wouldn't say ATL has a better o line. The Falcons blocked up the stunt perfectly. Both the tackle and guard just collapsed to the inside so Aldon can't slip through and by the time he can bounce back outside the pass was thrown. Niners need a counter off that b/c offenses are expecting a stunt every time. I expect Bmore to do the same. Might see some A gap blitzes from Willis this game. Can't let Flacco and Torrey Smith get going.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Pass rush in the 1st half of games have been a concern. Guys just not winning many 1 on 1 match ups up front. Last year Raymac and Smith pretty much thrived in these situations. Ravens o line has been great sense they put Mckinnie in at LT. I wouldn't say ATL has a better o line. The Falcons blocked up the stunt perfectly. Both the tackle and guard just collapsed to the inside so Aldon can't slip through and by the time he can bounce back outside the pass was thrown. Niners need a counter off that b/c offenses are expecting a stunt every time. I expect Bmore to do the same. Might see some A gap blitzes from Willis this game. Can't let Flacco and Torrey Smith get going.

I think that's mainly because our primary goal is to let the opponent know they will not run on us. That's our primary focus.
Originally posted by Joecool:
I think that's mainly because our primary goal is to let the opponent know they will not run on us. That's our primary focus.

Well, the sack totals since New England are 3-1-2-1-1. I think it's wishful to think we are allowing the Falcons to obtain 300 yards in one half as a consequence of a successful defensive strategy. The stats for hurries/knockdowns is not easy to obtain. But that is where we are really falling down. Only JS malforms the pocket now, every 2, 3 rushes. That's it. QB's just are reading the field on us like a book in bed for far too long.
Nobody knows how to use paragraphs in Niner Talk...

Stats Inc publishes the "QB Affect" ratio. Can fans get a hold of this?
Here's an interesting link from Football Outsiders. It ranks Defensive Line play for pass rush adjusted by pass attempts and quality of opponent.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/dl

Niners come in 17th. But what's interesting is to look at how this stat treats teams in the playoffs. About half the playoff teams are in the bottom half of the stat and about half the playoff teams are in the top half of this stat. Weird.

So you might wonder if improving your performance in this stat would give you a better chance to make the playoffs.
I felt we were getting a decent amount of pressure against the Packers and Falcons, both teams with great quarterbacks who can get the ball out of their hands.

I'm not worried about the Ravens' pass game alone, but what scares me is that they can mix it up between run and pass very well. The Vikings, Rams, Seahawks, and Giants were all teams who could run a balanced attack between run and pass. Ray Rice is one of the best backs in the league, and Joe Flacco is probably the best deep passer in the league. Their offense has a lot of synergy between its running and passing attacks.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Nobody knows how to use paragraphs in Niner Talk...

All I know is.

That.

I sure.

As hell.

Don't. <----I indented.
I'll be satisfied if the Niners put pressure on Flaco even if they dont put up a big amount of sacks, QB hits are fine. Force Flacco to throw the ball sooner than he wants to. Press Boldin at the line, Flacco likes to hit him on slants, got to disrupt their timing. Torrey Smith likes to go deep, if the deep ball isnt there, the RB leaks out of the backfield and Flacco will usually checkdown to his RB or FB.
Share 49ersWebzone