There are 84 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Video: What is wrong with 49ers defense?

I didn't think there was anything wrong per say except for the lack of pass rush. I just don't know why NFLN made a video saying our D pretty much has been sucking when everyone else including Ravens fans fear our D
  • Bodhi
  • Veteran
Justin and Aldon are hurt. They're arguably our two most important defensive players and they're not at 100%
The D has fallen off since Justin got injured. That's a fair and truthful fact and a need that must be addressed in the draft.

Add to that the caliber of competition we're playing - the best teams in football.

Plus we're up against teams that have a whole year's film on us to game plan for accordingly.
The playoffs are a different animal; teams change; players are different; attitudes are on edge.
It is do or die. That said the defense is On Point and keeping us in the game. Has it been perfect.. No. Except for the last half of the Falcon's Game!!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
with justin and aldon not at full speed, we are going to have to rely on doing some things with brooks. as much as we would like to see willis and bowman blitz I think that is not good strategy for the game. as wally said,, i would be really upset if the team did not spend the first two picks on justins replacement and a pass rusher.
The funny part is how they said at the beginning of the video that the 49ers only allowed 200 YPG in the regular season and 300 in the playoffs.

Well..... Yeah. Playing Aaron Rodgers and Matt Ryan will do that. SMDH. They started talking about it when the niners played the Pats...and Tom Brady.

Yeah...sometimes the guy on the other side of the field is pretty good. It happens.
Correct. I think Aldon has a more severe injury than he is letting on. He has no power even with his bull rush.
We still have a really good D, but i think one problem i have noticed is Fangio's not wanting to send Brooks on more plays instead of Aldon. Loook at some of the recent film especially ATL, they are scheme blocking Aldon and a less than 100% Justin Smith, they are putting 3 guys on them and they cant beat that often.

But when we started pressuring with Brooks, he batted balls, and then he hurt Matt Ryan, i look for Brooks to have more of a pressure impact in the SB
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jcashen87:
We still have a really good D, but i think one problem i have noticed is Fangio's not wanting to send Brooks on more plays instead of Aldon. Loook at some of the recent film especially ATL, they are scheme blocking Aldon and a less than 100% Justin Smith, they are putting 3 guys on them and they cant beat that often.

But when we started pressuring with Brooks, he batted balls, and then he hurt Matt Ryan, i look for Brooks to have more of a pressure impact in the SB

i agree and i think he will be the wildcard for the game,, actually he has to be, with a injured justin and aldon, we got no other options
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
D-Line is playing tired. If you watch them especially A.Smith. They are rushing with out a good angle of push. Alot of the time it looks like Aldon is just going through the motions. Ie. standing straight up and running in until he gets blocked. He looks more worried about getting chipped from a back than getting to the QB.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MarkD:
D-Line is playing tired. If you watch them especially A.Smith. They are rushing with out a good angle of push. Alot of the time it looks like Aldon is just going through the motions. Ie. standing straight up and running in until he gets blocked. He looks more worried about getting chipped from a back than getting to the QB.
maybe it is his injury more than being tired. in my opinion being tired is not a legit excuse. everyone is tired at this time of the year, they have all off season to rest. they got two weeks untill the game. being tired is an excuse that makes me nuts
Give any decent QB time and they will pick you apart. Brady picked us apart in the second half after J.Smith went out...part of that was Fangio switching to a zone, but the real problem was that our pass rush went MIA when J. Smith went out.

He's not 100% right now, and it's still affecting our ability to get to the QB. After the first quarter on Sunday, we managed to start at least getting some pressure on Ryan...and it made all the difference. Fangio will need to be creative with ways to get to the passer.