LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 206 users in the forums

Video: What is wrong with 49ers defense?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Silky
  • Veteran
Apparently our D has fallen apart over the last half of the season....is there anything wrong with our D?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-super-bowl/0ap2000000130331/What-is-wrong-with-49ers-defense
just the first half of each playoff game
[ Edited by stunder49 on Jan 23, 2013 at 8:52 PM ]
I thought the D looked fine against Green Bay. They only gave up 17 meaningful points and that last garbage time TD the packers got should have never occurred had the refs not made a horrible PI call against Tarrell Brown. Against Atlanta they did have some problems but more than anything else in the first half the Falcons players were just making some incredible plays, that you couldn't really defense. I thought they settled down a little bit in the 2nd half although they did catch some breaks also. In any case, I'm not overly concerned. This is still a really good defense and they have two weeks get healthy and prepare for the Ravens.
Nothing is wrong with the defense. We just went up against two of the most explosive offenses in the league. Green Bay really only put up 17 points on us. Atlanta came out firing, but we pitched a shutout in the 2nd half. They just have to do a better job in the 1st half.

I'm not the least bit concerned heading into the SB. Baltimore, while formidable, do not present the match up problems that GB and ATL do. I like Culliver matched up with Torrey Smith. I like Rogers on Boldin. I like Willis on Pitta. I like our front 7 to contain Ray Rice, in particular Bowman who will keep an eye on Rice catching the ball out of the backfield.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Jan 23, 2013 at 10:23 PM ]
Teams pull out all the stops down the stretch. Offenses take more chances and in turn they score more points. Justin Smith not at 100% has surely hampered us as well.
They seem to lack focus and discipline during a half of a game. The other half, they seem to get to the quarterback more often as well as plying more physical.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
They seem to lack focus and discipline during a half of a game. The other half, they seem to get to the quarterback more often as well as plying more physical.

We're the best overall second half team in the entire post-season (would actually give #2 to Seattle, who bowed out early), our coaching staff knows how to make the right second-half adjustments, when needed.
[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Jan 23, 2013 at 11:42 PM ]
Justin Smith's triceps is what is wrong. Aldon Smith dropped off huge with that. So did our run D. We give up big plays left and right because of no pass rush. I hope Justin can play well in 1 more game. And Aldon needs to be back to his old self. 19.5 sacks and then nothing for games in a row. This is the game to break that streak.
Its Justin Smith being less than 100%, which hurts Aldon Smith's ability to rush the passer. We used to be able to get a good 4 man pass rush going, which is always incredibly valuable. Now we either generate less pressure, or have to rush more guys, which opens up the field.

Our DB's are good, but a bit overrated. When the pass rush lets the QB have extra time to throw, that always spells trouble for DB's. Think about having to cover a guy just as fast as you, but taller than you, and he knows exactly where hes going, and you dont. If the QB has time, even the best DB's start having issues.

I think our 2 biggest strengths are our consistant ability to stuff the run, and the fact that we are less bulky, and have the stamina to keep pace with things deep into the 2nd half. If you have alot of big bulky guys, they tire out late in games. We have the speed to continue for a full game, and when the opposing OL starts wearing down, we begin to dominate the trenches.

A positive about this upcoming SB, is weve been one of the best, if not THE best defense in the NFL this year at prevents big passing plays. The Ravens love to go deep with Torrey Smith and Jacoby Jones. The Cover 2 shell D we usually play does a good job of limiting those plays. I think that blown coverage Julio Jones TD last week was our first pass play over 40 yds allowed all season.

We just need to get Rogers to keep Anquan Boldin in check. Hes got good size for a CB, and since we all know Rogers isnt a burner, the slow as molasses Boldin would be a good matchup to give him.

Get Bowman or Willis on Pitta, and hope the 2 extra weeks of rest allow Justin Smith to get back to a point where he can start driving the line backwards into Flacco. I really think this game is going to come down to the 49ers ability to rattle Flacco a bit. I think our offense is going to be able to score a bit with Kap, so itll be up to Flacco to put 25-30 on the 49ers D. I dont see him doing that if we get in his face. We dont even have to sack him a bunch, just keep him off balance and uncomfortable.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
They just like to start off slow. Better late than never. We should be fine.

we need to create more pass rush. If they were saving Justin and Aldon for the big game, now is the time to unleash. Now is the time for Justin to go ham on that arm and rail road the double team in front of him on the way to the QB.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Its Justin Smith being less than 100%, which hurts Aldon Smith's ability to rush the passer. We used to be able to get a good 4 man pass rush going, which is always incredibly valuable. Now we either generate less pressure, or have to rush more guys, which opens up the field.

Our DB's are good, but a bit overrated. When the pass rush lets the QB have extra time to throw, that always spells trouble for DB's. Think about having to cover a guy just as fast as you, but taller than you, and he knows exactly where hes going, and you dont. If the QB has time, even the best DB's start having issues.

I think our 2 biggest strengths are our consistant ability to stuff the run, and the fact that we are less bulky, and have the stamina to keep pace with things deep into the 2nd half. If you have alot of big bulky guys, they tire out late in games. We have the speed to continue for a full game, and when the opposing OL starts wearing down, we begin to dominate the trenches.

A positive about this upcoming SB, is weve been one of the best, if not THE best defense in the NFL this year at prevents big passing plays. The Ravens love to go deep with Torrey Smith and Jacoby Jones. The Cover 2 shell D we usually play does a good job of limiting those plays. I think that blown coverage Julio Jones TD last week was our first pass play over 40 yds allowed all season.

We just need to get Rogers to keep Anquan Boldin in check. Hes got good size for a CB, and since we all know Rogers isnt a burner, the slow as molasses Boldin would be a good matchup to give him.

Get Bowman or Willis on Pitta, and hope the 2 extra weeks of rest allow Justin Smith to get back to a point where he can start driving the line backwards into Flacco. I really think this game is going to come down to the 49ers ability to rattle Flacco a bit. I think our offense is going to be able to score a bit with Kap, so itll be up to Flacco to put 25-30 on the 49ers D. I dont see him doing that if we get in his face. We dont even have to sack him a bunch, just keep him off balance and uncomfortable.

Great post, I agree 100%.

I don't remember the exact stat but I believe we allowed 3 or 4 pass plays of 40 yards or more all season (playoffs included) which was the best in the league.

Boldin has been the man for Baltimore in the playoffs and our D has to shut him down, and I think you are right about Rodgers being a good match up. I expect him to get his yards, just not the big plays which the Ravens depend on. We have two of the best cover linebackers in the league which are going to force Flaco to dump off short or take shots deep so I really hope the Corners and safeties are on the same page.

That being said though this game will be won in the trenches, stop the run and pressure Flaco. If we do this WE WILL WIN.
The main problems are pass rush (obviously) and the fact that our safeties play a high-risk/high-reward game by going for picks. But with the exception of the first Altanta TD where the secondary blew the zone coverages, our backs have had great coverage throughout the recent weeks. The receivers just made plays - that second Atlanta TD was an incredible throw.

Pass rush is what really worries me.
The lack of pressure from the front four. Patrick was very effective blitzing against the Falcons. The 49ers must have pressure up the middle, if they can manage that against the Ravens the team will be in line for #6.
Our defense is fine. The dirty birds was at home with their crowd pumped up and pounced on us........hard sitting at home I just kept my 49er hating company alll we have to do is weather the storm and not let them get 24 then it happened. Now going into half 10 points down I had no worries bcause theres no better 2nd half defense in football than us.
27-17
Share 49ersWebzone