There are 145 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Bill Walsh and the "Fast Start"

Originally posted by SpeedDemon:
From what I know, Walsh's defense was set up to prevent big plays. Look at that Super Bowl against Dan Marino's Dolphins. he ran a nickel that entire game, just begging Marino to throw it.

If I'm on offense and the defense refuses to come out of their nickel package it screams RUN the ball. Not throw it. The current 49ers team is fairly good at containing the run with a 6 man box but not many teams can do that.
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Get the ball to start the second half..is my philosophy

Especially on the road.

I actually like this, too. I like the opportunity to score right before the end of the first half and then again at the start of the second. Potential for a 14-point swing right there.
how have we done previously in the superdome?
  • ace52
  • Veteran
From what I know, Walsh's defense was set up to prevent big plays. Look at that Super Bowl against Dan Marino's Dolphins. he ran a nickel that entire game, just begging Marino to throw it.
I think Walsh also emphasized the importance of the pass rush as well. That's why the Walsh defenses always had at least 1 stud pass rusher (Fred Dean early on, and Charles Haley in the late-80's squads).
Every coach would like to do that.

I've been a fan since 1976 and I remember well, Walsh's teams developing that part of the game.

It was a thing of sheer beauty to watch. As fans we not only expected to win BUT we also expected to score on our first drive of every game. I don't have or know about perecntages of how often we did - but we did it enough that was our expectation.

The nickle is a pass defense. "Nickle" stands for five defensive backs. He ran it because the Dolphins had a one-dimensional offense stressing the pass.
  • ace52
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Every coach would like to do that.

I've been a fan since 1976 and I remember well, Walsh's teams developing that part of the game.

It was a thing of sheer beauty to watch. As fans we not only expected to win BUT we also expected to score on our first drive of every game. I don't have or know about perecntages of how often we did - but we did it enough that was our expectation.
Yes, I agree that every coach would like to get an early lead, and to score on every possession.
But do you think that Walsh put some of the best offensive plays into the first couple of drives to try to get that lead? Or did he treat the offensive play-calling the same throughout the game?
Bill Walsh was a genius because he realized the key to winning was scoring more points than the other team.
Originally posted by mickey49:
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Get the ball to start the second half..is my philosophy

Especially on the road.

I actually like this, too. I like the opportunity to score right before the end of the first half and then again at the start of the second. Potential for a 14-point swing right there.
or catch up if you're behind
I'm watching some of the 49er super bowls from the 80's and I noticed that we executed A LOT of rollouts. Is that how many of our offensive plays were executed then?
Originally posted by dhp318:
Bill Walsh was a genius because he realized the key to winning was scoring more points than the other team.
What would have been of Joe Montana if Bill didn't instruct him on the importance of trying to score points.
Originally posted by frenchmov:
no team/coaching staff in the history of the NFL says "meh, don't really care about the first few drives. we'll play a field position game!". EVERY team tries to score on every possession. walsh may have been saying it can really kill a team early if you can manage to get up early but i don't see how you "design" to score on the first couple drives and then don't design to score on the rest. makes no sense

Watch Mike Shannahan coached teams. They always seem to score on their first couple drives. He scripts the first 15 like Walsh. After those first 15 plays they seem to struggle to score points after.
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
Everyone wants to get off to a fast start. The difference was that Walsh's teams could actually do it. Walsh was way ahead of the curve and his opposition was generally more conservative and wedded to "ball control" and a "run to setup the pass" approach. In that context, Walsh's philosophy was creative and aggressive. If your opposition is built around the running game and controlling the clock, then a two score lead forces them out of their game plan and makes them do what they're less good at... throwing the ball and scoring points fast. In today's league, everything's changed. Most teams are built to throw the ball and score points rapidly. A two score lead doesn't mean that much. In an era when everyone is focused on Offense, the two teams in the Superbowl are built around high powered Defense.
  • ace52
  • Veteran
Originally posted by goldstandard333:
Watch Mike Shannahan coached teams. They always seem to score on their first couple drives. He scripts the first 15 like Walsh. After those first 15 plays they seem to struggle to score points after.

That's why Shanahan is just a disciple, while Walsh was God
49ers used to take the lead early, and kept on scoring.