LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 215 users in the forums

NFC Championship Game: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Our whole defense was just terrible that first half, especially that first quarter. Are we forgetting how Dashon just let Jones go into the endzone?
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
keep in mind that he's the number 2 guy in that offense

Exactly my point, He isnt as good as everyone makes him out to be. He benefits heavily from coverages rolled torwards White and Gonzo.
Originally posted by susweel:
Julio Jones is no joke my friend he would own 90% of CBs in the league.

I agree. Brown didn't have his best game, but he wasn't disastrous either. Wouldn't be shocked in a few yrs Jones is considered to be a top 10 WR. Betting on Brown, hell our whole secondary to play a whole lot better against the Ravens.
He got picked on a couple of times, but he made his fair share of plays. Perfect coverage on Jones' 2nd TD, that was just a heck of a catch by Julio. Jones-White-Gonzalez all got away with a lot of pushoffs when they made their breaks.
San Fran's DB's are very fundamentally sound compared to many other groups in the league with their pass defense and tackling techniques but they do have their breakdowns and Brown was NOT GOOD on Sunday. Yes Julio Jones is a tough draw but it doesn't excuse the breakdowns in his work skills. In the first half communication was terrible in the back end of our defense. If they hadn't fixed that they would have been slaughtered.
San Fran's DB's are very fundamentally sound compared to many other groups in the league with their pass defense and tackling techniques but they do have their breakdowns and Brown was NOT GOOD on Sunday. Yes Julio Jones is a tough draw but it doesn't excuse the breakdowns in his work skills. In the first half communication was terrible in the back end of our defense. If they hadn't fixed that they would have been slaughtered.
Originally posted by JBrack:
keep in mind that he's the number 2 guy in that offense

Exactly my point, He isnt as good as everyone makes him out to be. He benefits heavily from coverages rolled torwards White and Gonzo.

my point is that our number 1 guy would be number two there...stat wise
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
And you're not giving our defense enough. The defense forced those turnovers....they didn't just happen. Culliver jumped the route and made a great play to get the pick; as for the fumble, Ryan was worried about the pressure up the middle and took his eye off the snap.

Ryan was sacked once by Soap who had one sack all year and it wasnt even really a sack. He was on the run leaving the pocket. If anything Ryan saw a favorable matchup and was trying to exploit it by keeping his eyes downfield. Our pressure improved in the 2nd half, but it was still lackluster and we couldnt get home. 4 qb hits and one sack doesnt send probowl qbs running for thier lives. I could also argue that Jones should have came back to the ball on that Culliver INT. Culliver made a nice play, but if Jones does his job, Culliver doesnt have a chance to make the play!
I never said Ryan was running for his life; that's a straw man argument. I said Ryan took his eye off the ball as it was being snapped because he was WORRIED (not terrified) about the pressure. In other words, the slight distraction caused his eyes to divert from the snap for a split second, and that's all it takes to fumble a snap. I'm not giving ALL the credit to our defense for that, just the proper amount.

Same with Culliver's pick...yes, Jones didn't do his job, but Culliver took advantage of this mistake and made a play when we REALLY needed a stop. I'm not trying to blow either of these things out of proportion; just giving our defense the credit it deserves as opposed to saying (like you), that they had nothing to do with it.

Anyway, it's a matter of opinion and not really worth going back and forth on. I know where you stand on this, you know where I stand.

I just feel our defense didnt win the game like many are trying to say. I feel Atlantas offense lost it more than we won it, thats all. Im just trying to be practical here. No reason to always look at things with rose colored glasses on.
Im not sure he played any better, but I did notice Culliver was playing outside more in the 2nd half. He even got his pick lined up outside.

I'm pretty sure anytime he comes into the game he lines up outside and Rogers moves inside to cover the slot
According to Footballoutsiders' play-by-play analysis, that was the D's worst game of the year. They did come up big though in the second half when it counted.

Marvin, we will miss your commentary next week. How about doing a piece on the whole season to fill in the space before the SB?

Jones did own him...in the 1st half. He came back in the 2nd half and played much better. His backfield mate, Goldson, had a miserable game, I thought. Very unexpected. He'll need to play well in the SB and help out both Rogers and Brown.
Originally posted by cmix23:
Im not sure he played any better, but I did notice Culliver was playing outside more in the 2nd half. He even got his pick lined up outside.

I'm pretty sure anytime he comes into the game he lines up outside and Rogers moves inside to cover the slot
This. But no it means that Brown sucks
my point is that our number 1 guy would be number two there...stat wise

Not really,

White
2012 Season 92 rec 1351 yds 14.7 avg 7tds 59 long

With Kaep playing all year Crabs would have eclipsed those numbers. He already has him beat on TDs.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by KEGster:
Disagree on Crabtree. I felt he was the only one that pressed and it almost cost us the game. Unlike the Falcons, we were exhibiting the quiet confidence. Then Crabtree started dancing/celebrating and then the inexusable fumble. We were running down their throats, how difficult would a 3rd and Goal at the 1 be to convert?

Dumb. I thought he pressed and let the Falcons get into his head. The only player on the roster to do so

TOTALLY disagree.

Ya know, those guys on the other team? They get payed too. That was one hell of a play by Robinson. Sometimes you gotta give them their due.
I think Crabtree's fumble helped to essentially extend the drive (they got the ball back on the 38 and scored the go-ahead touchdown) and keep the Niners' defense off the field in preparation for their final stand.

This. I was going to post this earlier, but I feel that Crabtree's fumble actually helped win the game. Atlanta got the ball at their own 1 yard line, and could not convert a first down (great defense!), this made them kick back to the Niners deep in their own territory, giving the Niners great field position. With the way the offense was playing in the 2nd half, it was an easy touchdown from the start of that drive, which is what happened. One more failed Atlanta possession, and, when Atlanta had the ball at the end of the game, they barely had enough time to do anything with the ball.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by cmix23:

This. But no it means that Brown sucks

Actually doesnt Rogers play more inside/ nickle back? Just like when he stopped Gonzo on that big thrird down deep in their territory?

Read it wrong, You right
[ Edited by JBrack on Jan 22, 2013 at 9:47 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone