There are 112 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

NFC Championship Game: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Played much better in the second half. Dismal, dismal first half.

And Jones played a blinder
Marvin is right about teams scheming Aldon to force him to bump the TE. He did a good job of that during the game and his motor is still running hot. I didn't see a lot of T/E stunts out of him and Cowboy because of the TE bumps. Pitta has had a few strong games in a row, so we'll see how this carries into the big game. If Aldon is chipping the TE, I'd like to see Brown and Culliver up on the LOS punching the WRs in the chest too. Might as well give our pass rush an extra second to get there.

I also noticed that we made adjustments with Aldon to counteract that problem. We moved him in to DT on some plays in the 2nd half. While we didn't get any big sacks, we upped the pressure significantly. We also stuck Culliver on White for the 2nd half and that obviously caused a TO.
Originally posted by guillotine31:
Marvin is right about teams scheming Aldon to force him to bump the TE. He did a good job of that during the game and his motor is still running hot. I didn't see a lot of T/E stunts out of him and Cowboy because of the TE bumps. Pitta has had a few strong games in a row, so we'll see how this carries into the big game. If Aldon is chipping the TE, I'd like to see Brown and Culliver up on the LOS punching the WRs in the chest too. Might as well give our pass rush an extra second to get there.

I also noticed that we made adjustments with Aldon to counteract that problem. We moved him in to DT on some plays in the 2nd half. While we didn't get any big sacks, we upped the pressure significantly. We also stuck Culliver on White for the 2nd half and that obviously caused a TO.

Aldon started applying some nice pressure but damn that Matt Ryan, dude was getting the ball out in 2 seconds or less.
Allowing Ryan to sit in a clean pocket for what seemed like forever, didn't help our secondary. Doesn't excuse Brown's bad play in the first half, but it wasn't a coincidence that he (and the entire defense) played better as we put more pressure on the QB.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Aldon started applying some nice pressure but damn that Matt Ryan, dude was getting the ball out in 2 seconds or less.

Outside of the pick (WR fell down) and fumble (sometimes the ball just bounces the wrong way) the guy looked awesome and he was putting the ball where he wanted, when he wanted. Amazing job by the D to shut them out in the 2nd half, given how fast he got the ball out and how his WRs were making plays for him.
Originally posted by JBrack:

Im not sure he played any better, but I did notice Culliver was playing outside more in the 2nd half. He even got his pick lined up outside.

I think our defense as a whole just got back to square 1. 24 points in the first half, 0 in the second? Entire first half I really wasn't sure if we were going to be able to keep up with them. Our defense was getting beat at nearly every position. Willis was getting crushed by Gonzalez, Goldson(I'm pretty sure) let Jones get wide open, and Roddy White was finding the open spots as well. Not to mention Matt Ryan was getting all the time in the world.

Second half Aldon and Brooks started getting a little pressure. This helped the secondary because he wasn't getting so much time to pick us apart. The secondary clamped down and the open looks became much harder to find.

Terrel Brown didn't have his best day in the first half, but can't really name one player I thought played even decent. Second half was 100% different from every position.
The whole pass defense was torched in the first half. Julio Jones and Roddy White are both top 10 WR's though and the best tandem in the league. Throw in Gonzales and even the best defense will give up yards and TD's.
Even Revis would get burned by Jones.

Im not sure he played any better, but I did notice Culliver was playing outside more in the 2nd half. He even got his pick lined up outside.

I think our defense as a whole just got back to square 1. 24 points in the first half, 0 in the second? Entire first half I really wasn't sure if we were going to be able to keep up with them. Our defense was getting beat at nearly every position. Willis was getting crushed by Gonzalez, Goldson(I'm pretty sure) let Jones get wide open, and Roddy White was finding the open spots as well. Not to mention Matt Ryan was getting all the time in the world.

Second half Aldon and Brooks started getting a little pressure. This helped the secondary because he wasn't getting so much time to pick us apart. The secondary clamped down and the open looks became much harder to find.

Terrel Brown didn't have his best day in the first half, but can't really name one player I thought played even decent. Second half was 100% different from every position.

I think you are giving our defense to much credit here. Atl just shot themselves in the foot. The 2 turnovers by Ryan and the 2 personal fouls is what clinched the game for us IMO. Not so much the defensive play though.
goldson was SO close on that near INT. Jones is just a beast.

I think you are giving our defense to much credit here. Atl just shot themselves in the foot. The 2 turnovers by Ryan and the 2 personal fouls is what clinched the game for us IMO. Not so much the defensive play though.

And you're not giving our defense enough. The defense forced those turnovers....they didn't just happen. Culliver jumped the route and made a great play to get the pick; as for the fumble, Ryan was worried about the pressure up the middle and took his eye off the snap.
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
Crabtree was holding the ball tight and to his body to protect it nothing more you could ask of him, The DB just did his job stripping the ball out ( and as you can see had a hell of a time getting it free) and the safety took away his last chance to recover by spearing him in the him. Good defensive play not really anything else.

I agree. Crabtree was holding it against his body. It was just a great play by 23. He tried with all his might to rip that ball out. I can't fault Crabtree, he is a playmaker. He doesn't fumble very often. It ended up being a blessing in disguise. It made Atlanta use more time off the clock, and still gave us good field position with the good run back by Ginn. Once we got the ball again, we were going to score regardless, and there was nothing they could do about it.

Oh and great post Marvin!
Go Niners!
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
disagree with OP
Originally posted by Garcia:
disagree with OP

this. Atlanta has arguably the best two WR's in the league. I'd blame scheme more than any individual.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
goldson was SO close on that near INT. Jones is just a beast.

I actually thought it was picked, until I saw Julio advancing the ball ...
It was a rough first half for the entire defense.

Second half they got it going and had a shutout.