There are 138 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Stats don't accurately represent Niners Oline

• irief
  • Veteran
The stats show that the Oline was one of the worst at giving up sacks this year, but its obvious now that it was more a reflection of Quarterbacking and play calling (which had been limited by QB ability). When we made a change at QB and subsequently play calling, the Oline started to shine and has continued to shine. Kaeps play and play calling has shown that the Niners have one if not the best Oline in the league. It's logical to expect this Olines sack numbers to be amongst the best in the league.

War Niners!. War biggest bunch of maulers in the league! War sixth lombardi tropy!
"Stats are for LOSERS"

-Justin Smith
  • irief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
"Stats are for LOSERS"

-Justin Smith

Agreed. Early in the season I though that Aikman was exaggerating when he compared this Oline favorably to his Dallas Oline (probably best ever). But now the comparison is obvious. Props to Aikman for seeing through stats for what Oline really is.
Originally posted by irief:
Agreed. Early in the season I though that Aikman was exaggerating when he compared this Oline favorably to his Dallas Oline (probably best ever). But now the comparison is obvious. Props to Aikman for seeing through stats for what Oline really is.

hold up....

let's all agree right now ....on a few facts

this might be the best line in the NFL

this is not NEAR the early 90s Dallas line....

its just not...

the 49ers gash teams..with missdirection....that Dallas line....over powered the other team 40 snaps a game....

I hope the 49er line gets there....but it is not yet in that league
Ya, I don't buy that either. It's a good OL, but nothing amazing. Let's see how they do against Ngata.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
at the risk of being negative and not supporting our players, they can still upgrade themselves in the area of pass protection in my opinion. it has not been tragically bad in the last few games but it could be better. now aside from our aging center who is pretty darn good,,who do you replace because as a run block unit, they are maybe the best in the nfl. and old man davis has even been respectable.
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Ya, I don't buy that either. It's a good OL, but nothing amazing. Let's see how they do against Ngata.

This.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Dshearn:
hold up....

its just not...

the 49ers gash teams..with missdirection....that Dallas line....over powered the other team 40 snaps a game....

Look, over there! A monkey juggling chainsaws!

Nothing amazing? Have you all seen the yards per carry for ALL of our backs? They are more than just "good".
Originally posted by Wodwo:
hold up....

its just not...

Looks like Iupati had a Matthews for dinner.
  • irief
  • Veteran
hold up....

its just not...

Not trying to say that this Oline is equal to the Dallas Oline, but that Aikman's comparison does have some merit. There are definitely some aspects of our Oline that are similar, like the run game. Besides, I don't think Aikman's made this comparison for any other team's Oline, which should count for something.

It's not some random analyst making the comparison. It's the QB that played behind that line for years.
Originally posted by irief:
The stats show that the Oline was one of the worst at giving up sacks this year, but its obvious now that it was more a reflection of Quarterbacking and play calling (which had been limited by QB ability). When we made a change at QB and subsequently play calling, the Oline started to shine and has continued to shine. Kaeps play and play calling has shown that the Niners have one if not the best Oline in the league. It's logical to expect this Olines sack numbers to be amongst the best in the league.

War Niners!. War biggest bunch of maulers in the league! War sixth lombardi tropy!

There's more to OL pass protection stats. than just sacks. Whether you like it or not, the 49ers aren't that good in pass protection. GB's DL pass rush is ranked #4. Kaep broke an all time rushing record against them, not because he wanted to, but because he had to to avoid getting killed. Atlanta's DL pass rush is ranked #26. Kaep barely had to run at all. OTOH, Atlanta's OL pass protection is ranked in the top 10 and is a good reason why the 49er's D couldn't get much pressure.
[ Edited by OntheInside on Jan 22, 2013 at 10:11 AM ]
War Niners!

Geordie?
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Wodwo:
hold up....

its just not...

Not sure why, but that really made me laugh:)
Our OLine is also young.

Goodwin is oldest and might be gone at end of season for cap reasons. I thnk Staley is next.

We aregetting better all the time.