LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 247 users in the forums

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS VS BALTIMORE RAVENS GAMEDAY THREAD- SUPER BOWL XLVII

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • THEB
  • Veteran
not sure wtf ESPN you guys are watching but they just had like 5 segments in a row on the 49ers. i havnt seen a Ravens segment since ive been awake (about an hour)
  • THEB
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Who wants to talk Xs and Os?

I have a feeling the Ravens are gonna try to trick us in this way:

As soon as the ball is snapped, the DE is going to attack the run giving Kap the "keep" read. The DE is going to then immediately try to cut Kap off. He's going to run an L path in an attempt to force a Kap keeper but still be in position to stop Kap when he tries to run around the edge. This is something I'm semi worried about. We have Bruce Miller to block the DE as a wrinkle to the read option as well, but of course that takes Miller away as a lead blocker for Gore.

How do you counter that? I think what you have to do is design a play in which Kap/Gore/Miller know presnap that Kap is keeping the ball..and then have GORE be the lead blocker on a Kap run. Gore takes out the DE and Miller paves the way for Kap. This sounds a bit crazy but I guarantee that Greg Roman is thinking about this as a play because it's WIDE open for a huge gain if we execute it.

He wont be fast enough for it. If he even tries to run that L rout, Kap will easily get to the outside without issue.
Originally posted by Wodwo:
I dunno... Kap is reading a "key", right? What exactly does he have to see?

I don't understand this L shaped rush. That makes it even more difficult for the DE, doesn't it? I'd have to see the whole play, I think.

So say Kap sees the DE crash in to play the run...that's his cue to keep the ball and run to the outside. That's also the long half of the "L" I'm talking about. I think the DE is going to fake like he's playing the run, forcing a Kap keeper, and then immediately breaking off to try to stop Kap on the outside run (the short leg of the "L" I'm talking about).
Originally posted by THEB:

As soon as the ball is snapped, the DE is going to attack the run giving Kap the "keep" read. The DE is going to then immediately try to cut Kap off. He's going to run an L path in an attempt to force a Kap keeper but still be in position to stop Kap when he tries to run around the edge. This is something I'm semi worried about. We have Bruce Miller to block the DE as a wrinkle to the read option as well, but of course that takes Miller away as a lead blocker for Gore.

How do you counter that? I think what you have to do is design a play in which Kap/Gore/Miller know presnap that Kap is keeping the ball..and then have GORE be the lead blocker on a Kap run. Gore takes out the DE and Miller paves the way for Kap. This sounds a bit crazy but I guarantee that Greg Roman is thinking about this as a play because it's WIDE open for a huge gain if we execute it.

He wont be fast enough for it. If he even tries to run that L rout, Kap will easily get to the outside without issue.

That's what I suspect as well. It's going to put a hell of a lot of pressure on the DE.
[ Edited by Leathaface on Feb 3, 2013 at 10:16 AM ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
James Andrew Miller ‏@ESPNBook

Why would @espn use crowd backdrops for pregame sets today? Its way past annoying/distracting/problematic. This is not @CollegeGameDay
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I'm tired of watching all the pre-games. I'm going to watch some basketball until the game starts.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Feb 3, 2013 at 10:20 AM ]
Originally posted by THEB:

Agreed. It would actually do us a favor. The whole premise behind the read-option is to cause hesitation on the defense's part. Most linebackers/defensive ends can't contain Kap even with an angle, imagine voluntarily destroying your own angle to a QB that is significantly faster than you.

Advantage: 49ers

Puf puf puf
Man I'm so excited about this game
'Coach changed their mind like baby changed their diapers' -- Keyshawn on Harbaugh's qb decision

I'm feeling my usual sick feeling before the game.
Feels like yesterday we were all in the chat room analyzing the team while the likes of Damon Huard were torching us. Lol...

f**kin A man....you just never know when you will get back to the top. It's time to get #6.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Go, Niners, go!
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Wodwo:
I dunno... Kap is reading a "key", right? What exactly does he have to see?

I don't understand this L shaped rush. That makes it even more difficult for the DE, doesn't it? I'd have to see the whole play, I think.

So say Kap sees the DE crash in to play the run...that's his cue to keep the ball and run to the outside. That's also the long half of the "L" I'm talking about. I think the DE is going to fake like he's playing the run, forcing a Kap keeper, and then immediately breaking off to try to stop Kap on the outside run (the short leg of the "L" I'm talking about).

I don't think that would work because Kaepernick will be full accelerated by the time the DE changes direction.

Anyway, the quickest way between two points is going to get you better results, so you should scheme with that idea, IMO.
Originally posted by mayo49:
I'm tired of watching all the pre-games. I'm going to watch some basketball until the game starts.

Share 49ersWebzone