LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 260 users in the forums

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS VS BALTIMORE RAVENS GAMEDAY THREAD- SUPER BOWL XLVII

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Painful really. Losing to the Giants and this loss to the Ravens, just painful. we'll be back next year but for now as coach said last year after the Giants defeat . . . . we're bleeding, let us just lay down for a little while, then we'll get up, and fight on. . . . . .
[ Edited by ace49ers on Feb 4, 2013 at 2:02 AM ]
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Can't believe we lost this f**king game.

<blockquote class="quote"><div>Quote:</div> Matt Barrows &rlm;@mattbarrows
The #49ers are the first team with a 300-yard passer, a 100-yard rusher and two 100-yard receivers in the Super Bowl.

I wish I never read this stat. It just adds to the pain.
Yeah man...double ouch
Originally posted by Kaep4MVP:
You know, if refs called a perfect game there would be so many penalties that the nfl would be so annoying to watch. There's penalties on a lot of plays in the nfl. I'm sure if you watched the whole game again you could see holds on some of our long runs or passes that weren't called. The game wasn't rigged, they weren't doing things because it was Ray's last game, they missed the call, it sucks, but it happens.

We shouldn't be looking at 1 or 2 plays and think those were the reasons we lost. Because the truth is, we should've NEVER been down 28-6. That's OUR fault. That's not Niner football. I loved watching us come so close to coming back, Kaep has proven himself in this league and he is so fun to watch. It sucks that we couldn't finish, but it was a great 2nd half effort. And if we didn't get our doors completely blown off in the 1st half I truly believe we win this game. But it is what it is, and it was a great job by the Ravens.

I agree that the refs could call a penalty on virtually every play but there were some ridiculous and meaningful, GAME CHANGING "no calls" that the NFL should be embarrassed about. To be honest I didn't see the hold on Miller until I saw the replay.... it doesn't get much more blatant than wrapping your arms around someone from behind. This combined with the ref getting pushed - no call, Crabtree getting held on a deep ball - no call, and the play on 4th and Goal? The NFL's own commentators, Mooch, Sap and Warner couldn't defend that lack of a call. Sap put it best... it's hard to throw the flag there but when its that obvious you have to. If they called Culliver for PI to keep the Ravens drive alive they should have thrown the flag at the end of the game.

I admit I'm bitter about how our team played but to come back and dominate the 2nd half the way we did only to have the referees clearly blow this game is really what I'm disappointed about.
Obviously it's a 60 minute game, but if our team wouldn't have played like s**t the other 30 minutes then we wouldn't be seeing all of these excuses everyone has to make to plead our case. And the refs, for the most part, were consistent. You're just finding 2 plays that wasn't called our way to make it look inconsistent.

And I believe the no call was the right call. I was pissed that we went to the play in the first place and that we lost, but we didn't lose because it was the wrong call. There was so much contact because Crabtree initiated it. He was the one to run into the DB and then he was going to push off to create seperation for himself (even though the bad throw would've made it pointless) and the DB simply grabbed on to him to prevent it. It was a smart play by the DB and it sucks that we lost but it was a good no call.
you didn't see any one of the 100 million replays of this did you?
Originally posted by Mookster:
I agree that the refs could call a penalty on virtually every play but there were some ridiculous and meaningful, GAME CHANGING "no calls" that the NFL should be embarrassed about. To be honest I didn't see the hold on Miller until I saw the replay.... it doesn't get much more blatant than wrapping your arms around someone from behind. This combined with the ref getting pushed - no call, Crabtree getting held on a deep ball - no call, and the play on 4th and Goal? The NFL's own commentators, Mooch, Sap and Warner couldn't defend that lack of a call. Sap put it best... it's hard to throw the flag there but when its that obvious you have to. If they called Culliver for PI to keep the Ravens drive alive they should have thrown the flag at the end of the game.

I admit I'm bitter about how our team played but to come back and dominate the 2nd half the way we did only to have the referees clearly blow this game is really what I'm disappointed about.

It is what it is. I truly do not believe the refs blew this game. The Miller hold was the only play I've seen that was a bad no call. Obviously the refs don't see everything that happens, but that should've been called. But for me to look at that and say "the refs blew it" just by that? No.

The player pushing the ref could've been called but the whole thing was chippy and our team was pissed by the way we were playing and started the whole thing. So if the refs were to make the right call there it would've been offsetting penalties and the Ravens get the ball where the dead ball happened.

And even if they called that, the Ravens probably go for a real FG instead of the fake, which wouldn't have benefited us.
you didn't see any one of the 100 million replays of this did you?

Yes, I did. Crabtree ran right into him so he could push off. the DB grabbed him and Crabtree tried to run after his push off attempt. Good no call IMO.
I am sure it was talked about already but a couple things to get off my chest.

1. What is with the play action fakes being called every play? We are down 28-6 and wasting time faking handoffs, HALF OF THE TIME TO NOBODY. How many fakes was Gore on the opposite side that Kap faked to? Why not spread it, go shotgun or traditional.

2. Way too many read option plays as well. I like them but not as a backbone. Seems like every play was play action or read option. Needed more standard plays. But the offense didn't really cost us the game although that last drive we wasted our downs.

3. All season long the secondary kept everything in front of them then in the playoffs we got beat deep left and right. What gives? Pass rush couldn't finish and everything went there way... props to Flacco and boldin but some of those were toss ups 20 yards in the backfield. Guess it was their night.

4. Brooks has great games at times and then others he disappears... this game I think he disappeared from what I remember. Aldon, Justin got pressure at times but was waiting for them to take over... didn't happen... still lots of pressure on flacco but we couldn't wrap up or finish sacks.

5. All season long we were great tacklers... in the SB it looked like we forgot how to tackle. So many missed tackles. So many long 3rd downs given up. So many penalties and mental mistakes. We should have won the game but we decided to have one of our worst games of the season... mentally and physically.

6. Kap (and the rest of the team) was full of mistakes tonight. Made some plays but was too hesitant to run at times. Cost us 4 points by hesitating to throw to an open crabtree for a 1st down and then made it even worse by not running when he would have had a td... ran when it was too late. Brooks and Aldon also cost us 4 points. James cost us points with that fumble... made me miss last years team because this team is more talented and had more potential but last year's team was more gritty, stingy, just got things done. Our defense regressed, ST regressed big time but the offense got better.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Feb 4, 2013 at 2:17 AM ]

Those 3 passes in a row at the end did us in--straight is. If we had run 3 time Sunna row we would likely have won. I have seen every Niner Super Bowl, and this is clearly the weakest tea m to date. Horrible pass defensemse and the play calling sucked at the end....We honestly should've had the lead with 2 min left.
It is what it is. I truly do not believe the refs blew this game. The Miller hold was the only play I've seen that was a bad no call. Obviously the refs don't see everything that happens, but that should've been called. But for me to look at that and say "the refs blew it" just by that? No.

The player pushing the ref could've been called but the whole thing was chippy and our team was pissed by the way we were playing and started the whole thing. So if the refs were to make the right call there it would've been offsetting penalties and the Ravens get the ball where the dead ball happened.

And even if they called that, the Ravens probably go for a real FG instead of the fake, which wouldn't have benefited us.

And no holding call while the punter is running around the end zone? There were far too many no calls for me ever to accept the officiating of this game and the NFL should be embarrassed. The NFL even spent the week defending their selection of this crew as it was widely known they were a mid grade crew over the past season. They certainly proved the critics right on this one.

Granted you can't spot a good team 20+ points and expect to win, but the no call on Jacoby's record return put 7 points on the board that should not have been there. And 'incidental' contact on Crabtree at the end of the game? Sure if incidental means wrapping him up and giving him a man hug...... poor job by the officials overall and it did matter on the outcome of this game.

And no holding call while the punter is running around the end zone? There were far too many no calls for me ever to accept the officiating of this game and the NFL should be embarrassed. The NFL even spent the week defending their selection of this crew as it was widely known they were a mid grade crew over the past season. They certainly proved the critics right on this one.

Yeah, it should have been a holding call as Dixon was tackled and held for an hour. Still I think a hold in the end zone would be a safety anyways but it was b.s. because in that instance cheating actually benefited them because it allowed them to kill even more time. In a fair world if the rule was right they would put time back on the clock and call it a safety.

Granted you can't spot a good team 20+ points and expect to win, but the no call on Jacoby's record return put 7 points on the board that should not have been there. And 'incidental' contact on Crabtree at the end of the game? Sure if incidental means wrapping him up and giving him a man hug...... poor job by the officials overall and it did matter on the outcome of this game.

I don't know why people are even complaining about the holding in the end zone on the safety. Throwing a flag would've had the same effect on the outcome of the play, a safety. There wouldn't have been more time for us if a flag was called. Jim's choices would've been to A. accept the penalty and get 2 points or B. decline the penalty and 2 points. No difference in time. It was just a very smart plan by the Ravens.

And I don't mind the no call at the end. The playcall or play change by Kaep(whichever it was) was just atrocious. The ref had a 50/50 call to decide from and he decided against the call everyone here wanted, so of course everyone will hate it and say the refs cheated us out of the game. We don't play like s**t in the 1st half there are none of the excuses, simple as that.
We don't play like s**t in the 1st half there are none of the excuses, simple as that.

Yes, this really needs to be a sticky on every SF forum. Too much whining about how the refs done did us wrong...
We lost. Im going fishing. Its a game guys. Try to keep things in perspective.

Hell, at least we're not the seahawks
not crazy about the bandwagon ravens fans coming out of the woodwork...seriously f**k these guys
Share 49ersWebzone